• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

RB One - The definitive thread (hopefully)

dbobd

After doing weeks of research on the RB One I finally purchased 3 rollers.

1 for me, 1 for my son and 1 as a spare/donor car. We will use them to race at our local track.

During my searches its not hard to realise that there isn't much info about regarding the RB One.

This thread is my attempt to try to gather all the information together in one place to help others and remind myself.

I'll skip all the advertising and promo stuff as thats a job for RB Products - see what they've done here http://www.rbproducts.com/mainEn.php...esentation_INT

Any RB One owners out there PLEASE CONTRIBUTE anything you can.

Thanks especially to o.j. and Catch22 who have provided me with most of the info so far.

Edited by dbobd

Problems

Problems I've read about so far...

1. The rear diff crown gear losing teeth. This was caused by the wrong amount of shims being used coming from the factory. Reshim to make it a less tight will solve the problem.

2. The front dogbones don't take much abuse. Change front dogbones to losi 2.0 ones as they are a perfect fit.

3. Spares seem to be hard to get. This problem has been exasperated in the past week or so with the current distributor (CML Distribution) deciding not to keep RB Products any longer. No doubt another distributor will take RB Products on for the UK in the future, but in the interim that could be an issue.

Alternatives

Springs

With no RB alternatives for shock springs available for the RB One we have to look to other manufacturers for compatible ones.

So far what I have believe is

Kyosho springs fit

RC8T springs fit

DNX408 springs fit

xray 808 springs fit

Hong Nor Front truggy springs fit

Shocks

I think Hotbodies D8T and xray 808 rear shocks fit and the caster truggy shocks fit too

It seems you can easily switch the rear shocks to the front side of the tower and route the rear stabilizer under the rear torque bar. Anyone know what effect this would have on the car?

Body Shell

In the absence of being able to get another RB One Shell you can use a JConcepts Losi Punisher shell . It fits with only very minor trimming .

From what I was told you just need to cut the hole for the engine head a little further back, adjust the location of the mounting holes as they are in a slightly different place and also shave a wee bit off at the front where it wraps around the front of the buggy. After that it ends up a PERFECT fit . It hugs the side gaurds really well and covers all the areas to keep dirt out .

On the RB One, the throttle linkage will stop a lot of shells fitting, but the punisher shell has high side pods and fits super nice .

Other stuff

I have also been told that the RB One has some similarities to the Durango. I don't know this for sure as I have no experience of a Durango. Maybe somebody could confirm?

Setups

The brake setup looks the best ive seen with the adjustable brake bar for adjusting brake bias, Looks like an easy layout for maintenance and the dust boot covers on all the drives are a nice touch . 4 screws to remove the spur gear guard and centre diff is out in your hand (no messing with linkages) Also radio tray looks very good .

Happy starting point for diffs is 5f 5c 3r, shocks 35wt all round. It might help to run 1.4 holes in the pistons on the front and find harder springs for the rear (eg. Purple Xray 808 Springs). (See alternatives above)

Dave Crompton suggested that all 4 shocks should have one of the rubber o rings removed to free up the action. This seemed to make a big positive difference to the damping.

CML have removed Dave Cromptons setup sheets from their website, but I took a copy before they did. I would happily email a copy of them to whoever wants one.

Heres another setup I found on the net which may be of use:

rbone020411.jpg

Catch22 uploaded a video of his car going around CSOR

You can find it here http://vimeo.com/26239340

Bearings

Hubs

RB One uses the same bearings on the hubs as the Losi 2.0 (and the Agama too).

You will need the equivalents to Losi LOSA6953 12.7x19.07x4mm (1/2"x 3/4" x 5/32") and LOSA6945 8x14x4mm.

The hub bearings are not the flanged bearings shown in RB's exploded diagram of the One.

Diffs

The flanged bearings mentioned above are only used on the centre diff. They are the same as the LOSA6948 (8x14x4mm).

The front and rear diffs have the standard 8x16x5mm bearings from several 1/8th scale buggies, like the Hyper 7 (Part#84076) or Agama (Part#AGM53) etc. These bearings aren't on a Losi.

Servo Saver/Steering assembly

Again the bearings can be found fitted on the same location on a Losi. The ones you're looking for this time are LOSA6946 6x10x3mm.

Clutchbell

I'll include it for completeness but its just a standard clutch bearing (5x10x4mm) Losi equivalent LOSA6949

Industry Standard codes of bearings:

LOSA6953 = R1212-2RS

LOSA6945 = MR148-2RS

LOSA6948 = MF148-2RS

H84076 = MR688-2RS

LOSA6946 = MR106-2RS

LOSA6949 = MR105-2RS

Complete rebuild would require:

8 * LOSA6953

4 * LOSA6945

2 * LOSA6948

4 * H84076

3 * LOSA6946

2 * LOSA6949

Edited by dbobd

Does anyone know where we can get the replacement pre-painted bodies from?

Been running mine today and have noticed that the front body post may be a tad low as when turning left the allen head on the steering bar is catching on the body (may need to trim the bodyshell as can't seem to raise the body post unless someone knows if this is possible). Also, the body paint is rubbing off on the side runners at the front and back corners - seems to be such a tight fit.

Or are there any other body shells which will fit this and where can we get them from?

Cheers

Rick

Does anyone know where we can get the replacement pre-painted bodies from?

Nowhere in the UK at the minute, they were never available as CML never stocked them. Maybe the new distributor will bring them in, but you'll have to wait a little bit longer to find out who that is.

I contacted nearly every online RC merchant looking for a shell a few weeks ago and got the same answer from them all.

the body paint is rubbing off on the side runners at the front and back corners - seems to be such a tight fit.

Protect the shell by lining the inside of the shell with heat-reflective foil tape,

Stick the fluffy bit of velcro strips on the bottom of the shell (not the chassis) to stop it rubbing. If you put them on the sideguards then they will gather dirt and scratch your shell

Put a coating of shoe goo around the parts of the shell that is rubbing.

Or are there any other body shells which will fit this and where can we get them from?

From the above posts....

Body Shell

In the absence of being able to get another RB One Shell you can use a JConcepts Losi Punisher shell . It fits with only very minor trimming .

From what I was told you just need to cut the hole for the engine head a little further back, adjust the location of the mounting holes as they are in a slightly different place and also shave a wee bit off at the front where it wraps around the front of the buggy. After that it ends up a PERFECT fit . It hugs the side gaurds really well and covers all the areas to keep dirt out .

On the RB One, the throttle linkage will stop a lot of shells fitting, but the punisher shell has high side pods and fits super nice .

Cheers

BobD

Further one for you gang - a couple of issues with my new RB One which I bought from MuchAdoAboutToys in Stratford on Avon at the end of January this year. Below is a copy of the email which I sent to RB Products (a couple of times now as they've not bothered to even acknowledge me!) - I don't know if any of you can think of any solutions for me - I don't really want to start cutting the bodyshell if there's an underlying issue, but am open to any helpful suggestions.

"Hi,

I'm contacting you again about my RB One, which has some issues with the Bodyshell & metal steering plate.

The car is virtually brand new and only just about run in, having only been used on a grass field a couple of times.

What I've noticed is that the Bodyshell is rubbing on the chassis side plates so much that the paint is almost completely off of the shell itself (being present on the black plastic chassis sides). It also seems to be coming off at the top around the fuel tank splash protector.

I expect the Bodyshell to show signs of wear eventually, but certainly not after only about 1.5 hours total ground running in a clear area.

I've also noticed that the front of the body where it fits onto the body post has hardly any clearance at all on the right hand side from the metal steering plate (it's clear on the left hand side) and is hit/rubbed by the screw head of the metal steering plate every time the vehicle is steered to the right - I should say that this metal plate also has a gouge out of it just to the right of centre on its' top which has been there since I purchased the car earlier this month from MuchAdoAboutToys in Stratford Upon Avon.

From looking at pictures of the car both on the product box, your website & on the Internet in general there should obviously be a fair amount of clearance between the bottom of the front of the Bodyshell and the metal steering plate on both the right and left sides, which on mine doesn't exist on the right side but is correct on the left hand side of the vehicle.

I've checked my manual and the exploded diagrams and everything looks to be assembled in the correct order on the car, but something isn't correct and is causing this rubbing to take place.

I can't find a replacement pre-painted shell in England as there is no distributor (and to be honest, having paid so much for the car so recently, I'd be upset at having to buy another one so soon).

I'm very disappointed that having paid nearly

All I can suggest is that you put a piece of tape/vinyl on the inside of the shell where it is rubbing or put a coating of shoe goo around the parts of the shell that is rubbing.

I have the inside of my shell coated with Heat reflactive foil tape as heat from the pipe causes the paint to come off at that point

Stick the fluffy bit of velcro strips on the bottom of the shell (not the chassis) to stop it rubbing

One thing about the tight fitting shell is that it keeps dirt out better.

Edited by dbobd

Thanks for those mate - good stuff and very helpful indeed.

May I ask one more favour - I've replaced the stock steering servo (burnt out - long story) with a brand new Savox 1256TG, but am getting a terrible buzzing noise as though it's under strain/load when I connect the steering linkage to it - this disappears as soon as I disconnect it, so I''m wondering if I've buggered something up along the way. Would you mind measuring your length on the steering linkage and also how tight/loose is your servo saver spring (e.g. what gap between top of screw collar at base of spring to bottom of plastic housing). I'm finding this so frustrating as there's obviously a problem somewhere between my servo and the steering assembly but I just can't work out where that problem lies. I know it can't be the servo itself as the throttle servo is absolutely quiet so there's no reason for this one not to be as well.

Thanks for your help.

Cheers

Rick