• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Is this a problem waiting to happen?

madMARTYNmarsh

Yesterday I started my break in on my new savage. I did the 2 tanks with the truck off of its wheels (rested the truck on a paint tin :hahadance: ) I then took the truck + my 2 kids to a car park to do 2 tanks going in circles at half throttle, the first (technically 3rd) tank went fine up until the end when for a second the truck stopped moving and when I throttled the engine reved but the truck didnt move. Suddenly it moved again so I though that maybe there wasnt enough fuel and thats why it behaved so strangely. I filled the tank and had a quick look over the working parts with the lid off but everything seemed hunky doorey sdo I re-started the truck and off it went for about a quarter tank until this happened (excuse the poor videoing as I was doing it while trying to make the car move) the problem starts at about 0.17seconds..... LINK

This happened twice more, both times a looked under the lid to see if anything had slipped or moved but everything loomked perfectly fine.

When I got home I removed the lid and found loads of black plastic thrown all over the place, the best thing I can do is show you..... LINK

I cant see where this plastic has come from, the spur gear looks like its still brand new. The only thing I can think is that it has come from the clutch?

This is an rtr truck all I have done to it is put in the reverse module, I havent touched the engine or anthing in that area.

All help and advice is greatly appreciated!

Edited by madMARTYNmarsh

Looks like clutch shoes to me... I think I'm right in saying that they put plastic ones on the RTR's, which are best replaced by something like the red Hong Nors. :thumbsup:

EDIT- Here's the shoes http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hong-Nor-Super-Long-Life-Alum-Clutch-Shoes-Red-/400260969878?pt=UK_ToysGames_RadioControlled_JN&hash=item5d3169b596#ht_1597wt_1344

Edited by grumpygramps

Looks like clutch shoes to me... I think I'm right in saying that they put plastic ones on the RTR's, which are best replaced by something like the red Hong Nors. :thumbsup:

+1

those were my first thought,, after seeing the vids

i dont think the clutch shoes are made of plastic. i see you have the reverse module, could it have got stuck in netural maybe

Make sure the slipper clutch nut hasn't come loose and is slipping

Edited by wiggy2k7

for the stopping it could be something todo with the reverse you have on your savage sometimes they will just jump out of forward gear. like when your going from forward to reverse it wont engage properly and vice versa and the standard clutch shoe do suck they are only put on because there cheap to buy for hpi so would need replacing sooner rather than later

Im not going to say no because my knowledge is severly lacking but I have it fitted very tight (the little silver bit that pulls out to engage reverse has very little play until I actually engage reverse) so I had hoped it wouldnt happen. I think I may remove the reverse for now.

i dont think the clutch shoes are made of plastic. i see you have the reverse module, could it have got stuck in netural maybe

Make sure the slipper clutch nut hasn't come loose and is slipping

Yes, they are plastic - http://www.hpieurope.com/piw.php?lang=en&partNo=87151

Also, if the slipper was loose, then it would make life easier on the clutch...

And they are BLACK just like the plastice that has been sprayed every where.... would you say that clutch shoes are made of a fibreous kind of plastic as the plastic particules seem quite bitty? (not sure thats the right word)

yes they are like grumpygramps is showing they are made of ptfe. i used to use alloy ones on my savage and they lasted longer than the hpi ones

Hi mate it does look like your spur gear has stripped and the cause could have been the reverse module. As you said take it out and put a metal spur gear in. The only problem is if the mesh isn't correct you can strip gears.

Dude... Check the vids out! It's nothing to do with the spur gear!

Edited by grumpygramps

You have exact problem I have by the look of things, mine loses drive momentarily then you see the truck give a little jerk and drive is restored. I also have the debris around the clutch bell like you do.

This I thought down to spur but no it fine, then thought reverse setup but after playing around established it wasn't as it did it without it fitted.

It is the clutch shoes disintegrating, mine also were new only three tanks ago and cheap and cheerful, going to get some quality ones when I get some money,

Sorry to hear your having the same problem grck1 but I'm also glad because It's not just me (sorry to be selfish LOL).

Looks like new clutch shoes are in order, as well as the removal of the reverse gear. I got to be honest, I feel a bit dis-heartened. Im not rich but I don't mind spending money on a hobby, it normally adds to the enjoyment I get from it but it already seems like this truck is a money pit, if bits go wrong then fair enough I replace them without question but they normally have a fair amount of use, this clutch shoe has gone after one real use (I'm not counting the first 2 tanks as the wheels were off the ground) I know I'm new to nitro but i wouldn't call 1 half throttle run a fair amount of use. Good job I don't quit easily. Sorry to whine at you all.

Thank you to all of you who offered advice and help. Hopefully this is a once in a blue moon type thing!

Edited by madMARTYNmarsh