• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Bashing Fuel

RoughRiderBX

you will probably get a resounding call of Byrons fuel. im using optiful 20% with an os 8 in a force .18 engine just broke it in today and got it tuned with no problems. its is a great fuel imo, a bit smokey so when you are tuning your engines dont go by the smoke trail go by performance and temps :thumbsup:

I've just swicthed from byrons race gen 25% to opti fuel 20% and I haven't noticed much difference in performance (for bashing) apart from the opti being a bit smokier- but as above tune by performance and temps.

Edited by scrumpy jack

I tend to disagree with the above - Byrons fuel is a great fuel whether just bashing or in comps, its also a good fuel for beginners, easier to tune than most, and not too smokey.

Yes marginally overpriced but i believe this to be outweighed by it's performance.

I tend to disagree with the above - Byrons fuel is a great fuel whether just bashing or in comps, its also a good fuel for beginners, easier to tune than most, and not too smokey.

Yes marginally overpriced but i believe this to be outweighed by it's performance.

I agree byrons is a great fuel, but for the price difference, I don't think your losing much buying opti fuel- I have found it no harder to tune than byrons and not noticed any major performance loss. Every engine is different though and some engines will prefer a certain fuel. Yes buy byrons by all means as it's great but personally I'm going to save a couple of quid from buying opti and use the money for the odd spares I may/will need when I crash... :whistling:

I like Opti-fuel, never let me down and it's well priced, a little smokey due to the oil content but still very good.

I've never used Byrons, at the time I last used race fuel, I was using O'Donnells, which is probably the best fuel in the world, shame you can no longer buy it here, I still have a gallon of it sitting on my wardrobe from 2008/9, I'm half tempted to see if it is still any good!!

HPI for me all the way after using modeltechics and Byrons.

You get more bang for your buck so to speak and I feel its more responsive. well at least my hpi engines came alive after swapping from model technics.

Also I can buy the HPI on the way home from work, for byrons I have to order it.

and optifuel fully synthetic?? hell no, Synthetic pretty much sucks...

25% optifuel is 11% caster oil based...

just going by what they say on there web site,

both say fully synth in optifuel and the HPI fuel

http://www.hpieurope...n&partNo=101908

HPI Power Fuel was developed especially for today's nitro engines. HPI Europe chose to work with the manufacturers of the hugely popular OptiFuel line of fuels, the most popular brand of helicopter fuel used by serious competitors in Europe.http://www.optifuel.co.uk/Catalogue/ProductDetails.aspx?id=230&name=OPTIMIX%20READY%20TO%20RUN%20FUEL&cat=85&cnode=85 (

OPTIFUEL READY TO RUN 25

OPTIMIX RTR 25-1 is supplied as a 1lt container and is 25% nitromethane with 15% fully synthetic oil from KLOTZ. This is a very high performance RTR fuel for generaluse not race applications. The tuning band on RTR fuels are wider and therefore a little less critical.

)

Each HPI Power Fuel blend uses the same high quality Klotz synthetic oils as OptiFuel Optimix-Race blends.

HPI Power Fuel makes starting and tuning nitros engines easy because its specific blend is more tolerant of incorrect settings and of temperature and humidity changes. The consistent burning provides a steady smoke trail allowing car and buggy owners to easily see the effects of engine tuning.

Un Quote.

As for running cars on WD40 Its perfectly possible. both that and duck oil contain kerosine which is used in airofuel I believe.

Both are flammable and combine heat with a glowing amber it will burn.

Edited by Teaman

Why?

Well sorry i do apologise, Got to rephrase that. it doesnt completely suck...

Just why Synthetic, when there is castor :D

I have always prefered castor oil, In many different applications..

My family are right petrol heads.. and we have always supported castor over synthetic....

Always ran our Boat engines, 2 stroke motorbikes etc etc really well..

Thats fair enough and a few years ago I would agree. However, with the advancements in synthetics, I think it's gone the other way.

Synthetic is spec'd for most engines now, you don't run high end stuff on anything but fully synth. Maybe nitro is different but I do believe that the money they've sunk into researching oil has brought better products than castor tbh.

I've been using Ammo fuel with my Werks engine and have to say I think it's far better than Byrons, though only with the Werks engine.

I use Byrons 25% & 30% everyday and don't see a lot of difference between them.

IMO Byrons does smell nicer than any other nitro fuel I've used. Just wish it came in Mint or Aloe Vera.