• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

What did you do to your model today?

stretch

3 hours ago, Alex97 said:

Designed a printed a little front wing, I based the design on the Schumacher LD2 front wing. It's printed in PETG so is pretty flexible however will go back to it's original form upon inpact. In the scenario one does break they cost less than £0.1 to make so isn't a biggy! 

20230206_134224.jpg

Woooo I like that! Wish I had a 3D printer as want to do some shock tower protectors and cant seem to find any out there.

27 minutes ago, totlxtc said:

Woooo I like that! Wish I had a 3D printer as want to do some shock tower protectors and cant seem to find any out there.

For shock tower protectors you really want nylon, PLA is no good and although PETG will withstand a bit of force you'll still struggle with big impacts. What car is it for? 

So had a free day today. When I dismantled the Ebay Xray it was not in as bad condition as I first thought. I put it all back together again with no grease or lubes as I just wanted to see how it all went back together again. 

So today I decided to pull out the diffs and stick some 10K in there and grease up the gears, pull out the drivetrain, grease that up and then finally oil the bearings on the steering assembly. She is as smooth as butter now...

...but now I am stuck. It now feels too good to be a spares car. It needs 3 new bearings. Everything else is perfect. So the question is...Do I just keep it just for spares? or build it up to run her in stock classes? Only needs motor, ESC, Servo and a RX (I have a Spektrum kicking around somewhere).

Thoughts?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tadas said:

Went back to original?

Yea, I bought a brand new stock motor. Big motor X Maxxs suck.  Theyre too heavy and expensive and you don’t actually gain much more performance. A Max and higher gearing with a stock motor can get you 55mphish. Why you would need more than that for something this size I dont know. Its also ridiculously expensive to do as you need a new motor mount etc. 

I did it once, never again. Maybe the XRT would have handled it better but hey. This cost me £150 ish not £600, which is a saving of a holiday to Spain to keep the Mrs happy haha

For the record. Im not just saying this. Back in 2019? I went the whole big motor X Maxx. 

2BBeWWQ.jpeg

Spent thousands and honestly it werent much better than stock so sold It. 

Edited by Kpowell911
  • Like 2

Went through the instruction manual and paperwork again to double check the size of servos I need, and list of official hop-ups or upgrades I need to order still.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Stormbringer said:

Welcome to the money pit called RC cars :rofl:

Ain't that the truth, I haven't even started on the shell yet - I'm planning to do this first as I wait for parts to arrive and hoped to start on it today, and I've already spent over £500 on the hobby, and from what I've been reading 4 wheel steering, brushless motors, and LIPO batteries more than doubles your costs.

• Like 1

true but once you have your lipos you have them for a while and if you get a decent charger then your sorted for quite a while 

but if your like rest of us youl buy not all at once multiple batteries so a multi port charger is handy

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Stormbringer said:

true but once you have your lipos you have them for a while and if you get a decent charger then your sorted for quite a while 

but if your like rest of us youl buy not all at once multiple batteries so a multi port charger is handy

The one I'm currently looking at can charge 2 LIPO batteries at the same time - it can actually charge a mixture of 2 different batteries at the same time, but I also want to get a receiver that runs off rechargeable batteries, preferably not off of AA size.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Stormbringer said:

why do you want to run rx of other batteries ?

rx normally powers from the esc 

Not the receiver, the transmitter, I'd really like to find a transmitter either with a built in chargeable battery, or one that runs off of rechargeable battery packs, not AA batteries, like most transmitters I've seen run off of.  It's personal preference, plus AA don't hold their charge for long or hold much charge. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Grogg said:

Not the receiver, the transmitter, I'd really like to find a transmitter either with a built in chargeable battery, or one that runs off of rechargeable battery packs, not AA batteries, like most transmitters I've seen run off of.  It's personal preference, plus AA don't hold their charge for long or hold much charge. 

whats your budget?

Plenty of TXs you can get a Li-ion/Lipo/Nicmh battery pack that you can charge using your lipo charger and some can even be charged with USB off the TX.

Edited by totlxtc
  • Like 1

Just now, totlxtc said:

whats your budget?

I don't know, don't really have one I think, I'd like to keep it reasonable, and also compatible with a receiver that uses an internal antenna - that's if they're any good.  Have any suggestions, that are both in stock, and in the UK.  I've been looking at Tamico's offerings for parts.