• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

old school tricks

adesaxo31

I was speaking to a bloke earlier while out with m tmaxx I told him I had a duratrax but the engine is knackerd an I dont know if he was winding me up but he said when his old nitros. Lost compression he took the piston out an hit it on the top with a copper hammer an it would restore compression. Has anyone else heard of this or is he pulling my leg lol

He didn't pull your leg he ripped it right off !!! You can heat and squeeze with a jubilee clip but it doesn't really work.

Actually, a pinch, done properly does work. You'll get another couple of gallons out of it at least before it dies completely. Fastboy has been doing it for a number of years with excellent results. But yes I have never heard of compression been restored the way the old man supposedly described.

Lee.

food for thought:

if you have an old engine, little pinch, no compression.

would it work, if you had the right equipment, to fit a ring to it?

certainly in theory it would. i'm considering making a small 4cyl engine for a project at tech, and when i say small i mean the whole engine will be no bigger than a small-block. i'm planning on an 8x8 bore/stroke [nb, your glow plug is 8mm hex so think that size]. and i intend that to be ringed. ringed engines for the win

I have access to a lathe but rings are good on big engines because there is alot of volume compressed and only loose a bit of comp through the join in the ring but on small engines the loss would be bigger and as the ring wears down the gap would get bigger and loose compression

true, the answer to that is to add more rings in that case. thing is, its not really new. if i recall the old cox 'pee wee' engines were smaller than most nitro's today and ran rings. although i may have been misinformed there.

Honest answer......

Either a new engine or a new piston/liner set for you engine (whatever is most cost effective)

A worn engine is a worn engine and that is a fact, don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Harsh but true.

actually its been proven that a repinch done properly can increase the life of the engine by a good couple of gallons. a worn engine doesnt always mean its dead. if its been pinched then worn down again then yes but otherwise it is possible to bring it back to life

actually its been proven that a repinch done properly can increase the life of the engine by a good couple of gallons. a worn engine doesnt always mean its dead. if its been pinched then worn down again then yes but otherwise it is possible to bring it back to life

Sorry I just Don't agree mate on that one. :030:

Its a bodge job and you tun the risk of destroying an engine rather than just getting a new piston/liner kit. I don't know anyone who would even think about doing such a daft task and expect good results from it. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

In that case, send a PM to Fastboy on the forum (He's most active on Maxbashing) and ask him to provide you with proof that ALL his pinches have been succesful (which I promise they have). A pinch done properly (and he has the proper tools and knows how to do it properly) WILL get a few more gallons out of the existing piston and liner.

Lee.

Its a bodge job and you tun the risk of destroying an engine rather than just getting a new piston/liner kit. I don't know anyone who would even think about doing such a daft task and expect good results from it. :thumbsup:

how can a bodge job on a nearly dead engine matter? if you muck it up, your still as screwed as if you did nothing. and if it works. then you've just got another couple of gallons out of it.

I've got a more uniform circular clamp than a jubilee clip that you could try with a halogen hob method...if you pop up the track I'll lend it you and tell you how you can do it....its not hard but I'm not sure it works too well you get pinch but is that cos its egged ???

I've never done it but it cant hurt !!

Honest answer......

Either a new engine or a new piston/liner set for you engine (whatever is most cost effective)

A worn engine is a worn engine and that is a fact, don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Harsh but true.

Its not a Fact, nor is it a Harsh Truth..

Weather you agree or not, it doesnt change Factual Results!

Ive had a pinch of Fastboys E-bay service, and it lasted another 4 gallons!

I know a couple of others who have had it done too, and plenty forum members have tried it too

He doesnt just mash it with a jubilee clip and a hammer you know, he has developed a very successfull proccess, and many people have tried it with success.

If youve got a knackered Engine, its worth giving a shot mate!

Edited by TerrorTrooper