• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Which chemical to use to clean my engine's piston head

lazkopat

Hi all,

I recently bought a truggy and with it came an hyper 21 turbo engine. Now the engine is in very good condition and has lots of pinch.

I've inspected the insde and its well looked-after! apart from the piston head which has brown dried oil/grease on it. I suppose the previous owner ran it very rich because the carb settings is way beyond defaults.

How would i go about cleaning the piston's head? what can i use as in checmicals? to remove it???????????

or shall i leave it and just fire it up and make it run rich and then lean it out? will this type of thing dissolve the dried stuff on top?

Hi all,

I recently bought a truggy and with it came an hyper 21 turbo engine. Now the engine is in very good condition and has lots of pinch.

I've inspected the insde and its well looked-after! apart from the piston head which has brown dried oil/grease on it. I suppose the previous owner ran it very rich because the carb settings is way beyond defaults.

How would i go about cleaning the piston's head? what can i use as in checmicals? to remove it???????????

or shall i leave it and just fire it up and make it run rich and then lean it out? will this type of thing dissolve the dried stuff on top?

The stuff on top does no harm, it's normal for them to be brown. Just deposits from the oil in the fuel.

I've just done this last night I broke in an engine with a pig rich bottom end but making good temps and it left a black thick deposit on the piston and head. I removed the piston and used acetone on the top and head with a soft cloth re-oiled and rebuilt. Apparently byrons fuel is bad for black deposits if run rich. Mine was 10X worse than wiggy's and now just has brown discolouration as expected so unless yours is bad ie black and thick I wouldn't bother.

Pop the piston out and use acetone....not nail varnish remover, acetone. the head will need doing aswell. If it is built up bad the carbon gets red hot and you see an increase in temps...also you can get the piston contacting the head...not good.

Should be able to get it in any decent chemist...or failing that online.

Nail polish remover contains acetone as it's main active ingredient.....but it's not the only thing it contains. There are also acetone free nail varnish removers that don;t contain any !

Buying it 'pure' means there is no problem with it leaving behind a residue that might cause issues. As a plus..acetone is good for removing glued tyres and cleaning shells before painting....

the one that Wiggy's has shown us is fine, after a while though i take my cooling head off to check and clean stuff, and then give the top of the piston a wipe with a clean rag, just to keep ontop of it, its nothing to worry about though