• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Hobao or Ansmann ?

pVIRUSq

I've had two hypers now and i have to say there great buggies! Probably the strongest car out there imo, But as above go for the .21 engine in a buggy its better and you don't need the torque of a .28.

I had a Ansmann Hogzilla and it was rubbish so that's put me off them but i have heard some good things about the virus.

Right then, I have decided to go for the hyper 7, still not sure whether to get the 21 engine or the mac 28 engine, or to just go for the black edition ??. The only worry I have is the servo,s am I right in saying that the new Hyper 7 has a reliable servo in it now or will I still have to change them......

I.M.O DON'T GET THE ANSMANN AND DON'T GET A BIG BLOCK!!!!

Get a nice hyper with the .21. Expect to need a new steering servo as the standard models tend to break as the servo saver on the hypers can be harsh on a plastic geared servo. I'm yet to meet anyone who has not killed the standard servo in the first few months. Hyper black is nice as it has the big bore shocks (I think).

Regarding the engine, Trust me mate ive been down the same road, the little .21 are so much more fun and its a mith that a .28's are "so much faster" than the .21's

The mach 28 is a poor engine anyway and I know of two people who have destroyed them in under a gallon of fuel and thats with doing things properly with run in and heat gun tuning! one even broke its crank????

And one big reason to buy a hyper is because loads of people run them at club level, they are a great car and parts are easy to get at good prices! also think that hoboa have top level cars in the world champs! always get respect with a nice little hyper! ;)

I have never ever seen an Ansmann being used at any club. The ansmann is a super fun basher for the garden but thats as far as it will ever go.

Happy shopping :)

! also think that hoboa have top level cars in the world champs!

they aren't hper 7's though they are stars and 9's

The big block ansmann .28 is a better engine than both the hypers. I would go for that.

you would be biased a bit like the people who have hypers say that the hyperis best they are the same car with different engines and shells

Yep thats right the Hyper star and the hyper 9.

What I'm saying is that Hoboa are world class and Ansmann are not, thats my point mate :)

P.S I dont have a hyper and never have! :D

Have you thought about a nice Losi 8ight? second hand ones come up lots on Ebay lots? they are fantastic cars!

(You could always buy my Kyosho Inferno US sports? its got a .28 GXR engine thats done less than a gallon and brand new 20mm big bore shocks. VVGC, It will be on Ebay soon for around 130 quid)

That's a shame, I was getting quite excited about having an in depth discussion with you on topics like material properties and their application in RC car design...

Slightly worrying but also something I see no benefit from.

If however you do wish to write me an essay on how a carbon fibre centre diff plate will win you a race or make your car jump better, please feel free to PM...... :tease:

hi i have had hypers which were ok but to be honest the virus 2 is alot stronger i went flat out into a tree about 15ft in the air flip over landed and carried on lol the ansmann 21 engines are strong but poor,the 28 arne engine will eat the hyper 21 engine and the mach 28,ihad the ansmann hogzilla which was preety crap,ive had a virus,then the virus 2,which never break,i now have the terrier 2.0 which is loads better,but you have to spend a few quid on it,i have always bought kits so you save money in the long run ie u buy the engine,servos that u want not ones u dont,an tbh all stock servos are crap wotever make car u got,have a look at the terrier 2.0 mate its awesom bit of kit,anyway if i had a choice it would be ansmann,and buy a kit not rtr u will just waste money hope this helps.

Slightly worrying but also something I see no benefit from.

If however you do wish to write me an essay on how a carbon fibre centre diff plate will win you a race or make your car jump better, please feel free to PM...... :tease:

Haha, I knew you'd be back! Of course there would be some benefit, who knows, we might both learn something..

As for the essay, it would only take a sentence or two to explain that one. :harhar:;)

Haha, I knew you'd be back! Of course there would be some benefit, who knows, we might both learn something..

As for the essay, it would only take a sentence or two to explain that one. :harhar:;)

You should know by now I never duck out of a good discussion :shockingscary:

I fail to see how you'd learn anything from me!!!! :protest:

Hyper's are good cars. They need new servos and definately a starter box, but other than that they are pretty good. I have had a few HoBao cars, mostly ST's but also the mini ST and about 3 Hyper 7's. Never really had a problem with them. The only thing I hate is working on the diffs. Parts are easily available from ebay, and overall they will do it all. Although I actually would go for an ST over the buggy as ST's offer the best of both worlds.

Hong Nor do pretty tough cars as well. Caster's are also meant to be good buggies but I have never owned one personally. I also had a Losi 8ight 2.0 which was pretty tough and I used to bash with someone who had the original 8ight RTR and that was bulletproof.

I cant really comment on a Virus, as I have never really had a lot to do with Ansmann cars. Sorry.

Cheers

Hello again, I got my hobao hyper 7 black edition today. Gonna be breaking in the engine on Wednesday. I'm gonna follow the guide on the forum, but was just wondering if there was anything other tips or suggestions as this is a first for me. I was also wondering if I need a fail safe with 2.4 ghz electrics and how many tanks I need to run before the car is ready to rock and roll. I want to do things correctly and take my time. Many thanks!!!!!

Check and see if the receiver has a built in failsafe. Most do nowadays, and that simplifies the wiring! Read the setup instructions for the radio in the manual and it shold give you a clue. If it has a section on setting up the failsafe, you know you don;t need to go buy one :)

Just check the function before you drive

when you set your failsafe up, if it says set it with the throttle at neutral, set it with the brakes applied. i tried to roll my revo out of the way of my toolbox with the engine running and it slowly picked up speed and took off. i ended up chasing it all the way across a field and then had to rugby tackle it.

• Like 1

Hello again, I got my hobao hyper 7 black edition today. Gonna be breaking in the engine on Wednesday. I'm gonna follow the guide on the forum, but was just wondering if there was anything other tips or suggestions as this is a first for me. I was also wondering if I need a fail safe with 2.4 ghz electrics and how many tanks I need to run before the car is ready to rock and roll. I want to do things correctly and take my time. Many thanks!!!!!

I purchased my Hyper Black from new just a few weeks ago, im a complete novice and so far have had no problems - this is the info i can give you bearing in mind iv sucked most of it up from forums and You tube.

Firstly if you have purchased the car from new they now supply Savox servo's which to my knowledge are ok and do not need replacing like the old stock ones.

Also if buying from new it has a fail safe chip built in to the TX which you need to activate - easy to do takes just a few seconds. To test the failsafe on your car turn on the TX & RX (with engine off) press full throttle on the TX while holding full throttle turn off the TX - you should see the throttle reset and go back to idle. -

Running the engine for the first time:-

Slide the airfilter tube off going to the carb - make sure your gap is 1-2mm at idle - anything less it will not start.

I use a os 8 plug and have gone for 25% Byron Gen 2 Race fuel.

Find a box or something to put the car on so it supports it but so the wheels can move freely if required.

Undo you glow plug by approx 1/2 turn.

Go and grab a hair drier and heat the top of the heatsink and also direct it at the engine - do this for around 3-5 minutes.

Turn on TX & RX

Put your fuel in, carefuly with one finger on the exuast outlet pull the the pull starter gently a few times (this will be quite tight) watch the fuel leave the tank and slowly with each pull watch - as the fuel meets the carb stop.

Put your glow plug starter on - leave for about 10 seconds.

Pull the starter quick smooth but short movements - mine started on the 4 pull.

Once started remove glow plug starter and tighten your glow plug backup. You will need to adjust the throttle accordingly.

Dont try and have the car idling too slow - it will cut out, try and have it idling fairly high but with out the clutch engaged. Leave the car idling for the 1st tank.

The run in process varies somewhat from user to user...just follow the guides on the forums.

A couple of things which also helped me was invest in a heat gun this will give you peace of mind once you start leaning the engine out.

Also i would recommend you change the AA RX pack and put in a 5cell RX Stick Pack make sure you tie rap it in nice and secure though.

Iv run approx 1/2 a gallan through mine and i can now start to feel the engine loosen up a bit, i still need to loosen the plug from cold.

So far im really enjoying the Hyper 7, for me so far its lived up to all the hype - and as you will find out its all a big learning curve.

Cheers.