• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

My HPI Baja 5b 2.0

JayJ

Well here I am, my first thread in the Petrol sub-forum! I am now the proud owner of an HPI Baja 5b 2.0 and a very happy RC enthusiast!!

I got it today and if anybody read my status update from a couple of days ago they would have know this was long overdue, I have been looking for a while. I got this Baja form a guy on eBay and it's almost brand new, apparently only had half a tank through and from the looks of the underside of the chassis I would say this to be true. It's mint and started first time!!

The only upgrade this came with is the RPM Spark Plug Guard, the rest of the truck is stock. I do intend on beefing up certain parts but don't intend on going OTT, famous last words I hear y'all say! lol

Here's a quick pic as it stands now, odds on how long it stays like this??

2011-09-28194220.jpg

Will update this thread with pics, videos and upgrades etc. Comments, suggests and advice all welcome, cheers guys.

[ b]Upgrades - Updated 2/2/2012

HPI Sway Bar Kit

HPI SS Pipe

HPI Disc Brake Rotor (3 Disc Mod)

Turtle Racing Front Shock Brace

Turtle Racing HD V2 Rear Shock Brace

Turtle Racing HD Quick Diff

Turtle front HD Chassis Brace

Turtle Racing HD Transmission Plate

Turtle Racing Billet Differential Case

Turtle Racing Clutch System

Turtle Pinion 18t

Hostile Spur Gear 56t

Killer RC V1 Kill Switch

Killer RC Shock Limiting Straps

RPM Front Bumper

RPM Rear Bumper

RPM Rear Skid Plate

RPM Front A-Arms

RPM Rear A-Arms

RPM Spark Plug Guard

RC Screwz 5b/5t Screw Kit

Uber RC Black Semi-Transparent Window Kit

Uber RC Quick Release Roll Cage Tubes

Uber RC Red Covered Wheel Nuts

Uber RC Black Shock Socks

Uber RC Air Filter

Team PhatDad inclined ShreadStack (Velocity Stack)

Vertigo Performance Products Axle Extenders

Pro-Line Desperado Wheels w/ Bow-Tie tyres

Silverback RC Outer Red Beads

Silverback RC Inner Red Beads

IRC Steering Servo Mount

IRC Brake Caliper

IRC Front Chassis Brace

DDM Springs

Team Twisted Linkage

Hemistorm "MaxHex" Brake Hex

Team Chase Rear Shock Uprights

Clone Dominator Pipe

Outerwears Airfilter Pre-Filter

Outerwears Pullstart Cover

Outerwears Crankcase Cover

Hitec HS-7955TG Throttle/Brake Servo

Hitec HS-5755MG Steering Servo

Edited by JayJ

Cheers for the replies guys! :thumbsup:

@ Chas, yes mate a Dom v1 would be nice but I'll see how things go first. The engine hasn't seen much fuel so far, will leave it stock for now and get used to it first.

Also I like the look of the TGN X-Can, I have heard positive and negative comments about the X-Can so I'm not sure atm. I know the Dom is one of the, if not the top rated exhaust but I'd be concerned with damaging it whist running whereas the X-Can is totally protected inside the rollcage and behind the shock tower.

The Dom v1 and v2 for that matter are v nice.

@ Gav, thanks mate but I have a Killer RC Killswitch winging it's way from the US of A as I type this here. Neither Abbots, Baja Chop Shop nor MMR had a v1 instock so it had to be from Killer RC themselves. Ordered limiting cables too.

Thanks guys!!

Cheers for the replies guys! :thumbsup:

@ Chas, yes mate a Dom v1 would be nice but I'll see how things go first. The engine hasn't seen much fuel so far, will leave it stock for now and get used to it first.

Also I like the look of the TGN X-Can, I have heard positive and negative comments about the X-Can so I'm not sure atm. I know the Dom is one of the, if not the top rated exhaust but I'd be concerned with damaging it whist running whereas the X-Can is totally protected inside the rollcage and behind the shock tower.

The Dom v1 and v2 for that matter are v nice.

@ Gav, thanks mate but I have a Killer RC Killswitch winging it's way from the US of A as I type this here. Neither Abbots, Baja Chop Shop nor MMR had a v1 instock so it had to be from Killer RC themselves. Ordered limiting cables too.

Thanks guys!!

I would not go over board with hop ups buddy, keep an eye on ebay for some last minute bargains :D

Gav

I do intend on beefing up certain parts but don't intend on going OTT, famous last words I hear y'all say! lol

Nice purchase and welcome to largescale :thumbsup:

When you say it's stock does that include the RX? If so then any killswitch is not compatible with stock radio so that will need to be upgraded as well. Take a look at the Futaba FASST systems.

Comments, suggests and advice all welcome, cheers guys.

Just don't drape it in clone rubbish, keep it real :yes:

• Like 1

Hey guys and thanks for the posts! :good:

@ Chas, correct me if I'm wrong here but the 2.0 comes with the beefer HPI driveshafts from the SS so I'll see how they hold up with stock power first. I do think the shocks needs some work but will look into that at a later date.

@ Topper, it came with a worse than stock radio but it's okay as I have a Spekky DX3S. Thanks though mate, appreciate the advice.

What do you mean by clone parts, I know about clones but not sure what you mean?? Isn't any aftermarket part a clone part??

@ Danny, hey dude!! Everything okay here, cheers mate. How's that lovely little baby?? ;)

Well didn't go to be until 2am, working on the Baja.

Spekky receiver fitted, Uber RC Shock Socks, Uber RC Windows, Outerwears Airfilter Pre-filter and Outerwears Pullstart Filter.

He is good as gold mate! 6lbs 8oz now :)

If you have the pullstart filter you may aswel mesh the engine. I used Isopon mesh from Halfrauds and a hot glue gun. Saves all the grass reaching the head. Its pain taking the plug and fan cover off after every run. With the mesh you just brush it off ;)

Glad all is O.k your end dude

• Like 1

Whoops, my Baja slipped and fell on some upgrades......

2011-09-29104800.jpg

2011-09-29104805.jpg

2011-09-29104813.jpg

2011-09-29104820.jpg

2011-09-29104828.jpg

• Turtle Racing Front Shock Brace
  • Turtle Racing Rear Shock Brace
  • Uber RC Semi-transparent Black Windows
  • Uber RC Shock Socks
  • Outerwears Pullstart Cover
  • Outerwears Airfilter Pre-filter

:whistling:

@ Jonny Nitro, thanks mate! :good:

@Danny, good to hear mate. Happy for ya!! :good:

@Stebro, thanks bud but I have some Uber RC tubes and I need to figure out how to fit them. :whistling:

Edited by JayJ

very very nice car mate but its had quite a few more tanks than that , i was the second owner of that baja [sold it 2 weeks ago] the lad i got it off said he had done about 10-15 tanks before i got it , guy i sold it to was a bit of a wheeler dealer , he is also trying to sell my old mcd evo 2 as a evo 3 on ebay now

Edited by sglad1

Have to be honest here and say I thought as much when I put the above parts on, the body has a couple of splits around the the rollcage and fuel cap and despite looking in great condition it's quite dirty as in exhaust output dirt.

Is in very good condition still though for that many tanks, I'm far from an expert but all appears sound. The shocks I think need topping up, maybe a rebuild but other than that it goes well?!?

I wouldn't worry too much about the amount of usage..as long as it goes well.

There are a few mods I would recommend if they haven't been done already:

1) Clutch bolt mod. The pinion gear is held onto the clutch bell with a puny 4mm bolt. This can snap...and when it does, it snaps flush with the bell and you have a hell of a job getting it out. so...what you do is take off the clutchbell, and screw a slightly longer than stock M4 caphead bolt through from the clutch side. The pinion is then held on with a nyloc nut. That way...if it snaps, you can just wind the bolt out from teh inside, and put in another bolt easy as pie. No drilling out required.

2) Replace the front axle e-clips. Tap the holes in the front M5 and file off the circlip attachment and you can screw in bolts with large washers to hold the axle on. If you can't tap the thread, you can drill out the hole and put a long bolt through. The circlips have a habit of popping off when you don;t want them to...and your wheel follows!

It's also worth replacing the plastic clutch outer bearing carier with an alloy one. The plastic one wears and allows the bearing to slop. The end result is a broken clutchbell. Mine came to me like that...only with a new bell. Just not the cause fixed. The break had also wrecked the rear brace and damaged a few other parts so it's cheaper to avoid it rather than cure it!

Pipewise....I wouldn't go with an X-Can. I had one and ditched it becuase of the mess....short stingers coat the back of the car in sludge. Long stingers tend to come loose and fall off..... A nice cheap Dom clone pipe does neither and gives better power. If you do fit one, thugh, consider a rear bumper like the Uber RC one. Looks ugly as sin.....but I wrote off an SS pipe i a crash after it flipped end over end a few times and punched the pipe into the back of hte engine.

Otherwise....run and enjoy! Don;t get hung up spending money....just enjoy the buggy and buy what you need when you need it. And the odd luxury....coz you won;t be able to help yourself :)