• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Thinking about getting a Tamiya Lunchbox...

MattLoaf

Does anyone have any experience with the Tamiya Lunchbox model?

How do they drive?

Anything I should look out for?

What mods can I do to it?

One has come up for sale locally and I'm thinking about getting it as my HPI Nitro MT2 is still sitting with parts ready to go on it and it has been a general pain since day one so I'm keen to try out electric.

Thanks,

~ Matt.

Hi mate, they are hillarious! I have never found an RC car that is more fun to drive. I had one back in the day, and got a re re a few years back, there awesome. They drive badly, don't steer very well, fall over/tumble all the time and easily get stuck, but cant help but make you laugh everytime you drive it.

The only mods I have done are a stock motor, 5 oil shocks and ball bearings. I also made some alloy body mounts as these are one of the few parts that break. They are currently some available from ebay, but couldnt find any a few months back so made my own.

Enjoy.

Hi mate, they are hillarious! I have never found an RC car that is more fun to drive. I had one back in the day, and got a re re a few years back, there awesome. They drive badly, don't steer very well, fall over/tumble all the time and easily get stuck, but cant help but make you laugh everytime you drive it.

The only mods I have done are a stock motor, 5 oil shocks and ball bearings. I also made some alloy body mounts as these are one of the few parts that break. They are currently some available from ebay, but couldnt find any a few months back so made my own.

Enjoy.

Thanks, I do realise that they won't be the best to drive, probably due to the short wheel base, tall ride height and they do seem to like popping the front wheels up. Do you know if there is any way to get the ride height lower? My plans would be to try and get it to sit lower, get a faster steering servo and get some weight over the front wheels.

Edited by MattLoaf

Completely pointless.

Squares has hit the nail on the head for the Lunchbox - its a fun, deeply silly laugh to drive. Aside from basic mods to make it run longer (ballraces, slightly better motor) nothing else is worth bothering with. No matter what you do to it, its never going to handle, and if it did - that would defeat the whole purpose of the Lunchbox.

If you want a daft 'stunt' car, get the Lunchbox and keep it pretty stock. If you want anything else, look elsewhere.

Completely pointless.

Squares has hit the nail on the head for the Lunchbox - its a fun, deeply silly laugh to drive. Aside from basic mods to make it run longer (ballraces, slightly better motor) nothing else is worth bothering with. No matter what you do to it, its never going to handle, and if it did - that would defeat the whole purpose of the Lunchbox.

If you want a daft 'stunt' car, get the Lunchbox and keep it pretty stock. If you want anything else, look elsewhere.

Fair enough, thanks for the input!

Does anyone have any experience with the Tamiya Lunchbox model?

How do they drive?

Anything I should look out for?

What mods can I do to it?

One has come up for sale locally and I'm thinking about getting it as my HPI Nitro MT2 is still sitting with parts ready to go on it and it has been a general pain since day one so I'm keen to try out electric.

Thanks,

~ Matt.

DO it do it do it do it.... do it do it

I have one the revised version of the truck and i use to have the old one aswell they are such good fun for any terrain, took mine on holiday a few years ago and used it more then the savage.

I have standard everything except ball racers and is superb and the shell is much stronger then all the new ones my old one lasted 10 years on very limited spares and i very much abused it!

Yeah the only thing that happens is the ball joints sometimes pop out if you hit something like a curb at a wrong angle it's better then them breaking, upgrade nothing and have fun

i wolud rather have an mt2 drove into my at full speed then someone give me a lunchbox it defeats the point of having an rc car. It dosen't jump, it doesn't go fast, it doesn't handle, it dosen't ever crawl. It does wheelies and cost over £150 to make arh i hate them so much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! have fun

i own a lunchbox and i love it, it doesnt handle well atall, but its a blast. ballrace it get some oil shocks and enjoy it. however. if u want something thats not gunna break and be reasonably fast and much better handling tha a LB then get a slash 2wd, around £100 used. imo the lunchbox is overpriced as are all tamiya re releases. your choice.

I guess compared to the Lunchbox the comedy handling of the 2wd Slash is actually quite good!

Tamiya's as a whole are expensive - but thats not really the point. Come to think of it, the Slash is somewhat overpriced as well!

The Lunchbox is a great laugh. I'd never own one myself, because they really are totally hopeless at staying upright, but its meant to be like that. Thats how its fun.

Its very much a Marmite car, and like Marmite if its something you like, there really isn't anything else similar.