• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

are hpi powerfuel and optifuel the same?

RooBoonix

Hi,

I bought some fuel today and it was HPI Power Fuel, but it had a Optifuel Lid!! They must be the same factory/company, but are they the same mixture?? i was running optifuel before.......

also, where is a good place to keep nitro? some where dark and cool??

Cheers,

RooBoonix

Try Byron fuel it's a very good mixture, I'm loving it

Byron is sooo expensive tho!!! £28 for a US gallon and i can get a normal gallon of optifuel for like 24/25 quid, and a normal gallon has more!!!! ohmy.gif

it is a good mixture but my cars are fine on optifuel/hpi powerfuel happy.gif

Edited by RooBoonix

In my experience, there's very little difference between Byrons/Opti/Tornado.

Maybe Byrons does have the edge but that could easily be down to fine tuning after I switched between them.

Different class to MT although that was the carppy duraglo I think.

I notice optifuel do two blends though.. RTR and Race, most likely difference being the oil. I'm guessing HPI would be the RTR blend?

Anyone tested the difference between optifuel RTR and RACE? Some people say optifuel is quite smokey, but I dont know if thats just the RTR blend or not.

I'm about to try byrons anyway, just to see what all the rave is about.

Cheers, F :blush:

I notice optifuel do two blends though.. RTR and Race, most likely difference being the oil. I'm guessing HPI would be the RTR blend?

Anyone tested the difference between optifuel RTR and RACE? Some people say optifuel is quite smokey, but I dont know if thats just the RTR blend or not.

I'm about to try byrons anyway, just to see what all the rave is about.

Cheers, F :blush:

i reckon the hpi is rtr yes, the race is probably less oil to give better burning and beter performance :)

• 3 years later...

I've just received this email from HPI Customer Services after I asked what the difference is between powerfuel and optifuel:

The fuel inside is exactly the same and they also cost the same too. The only thing that differs is the labels to provide shops the choice which brand sits better in the store.

Kind Regards

Yup... HPI Powerfuel is Optifuel RTR blend.

Optifuel race has a lot less oil....but as the quantities are stated as % .... reducing the oil percentage also increases the methanol content, so 5% less oil means 5% more combustable fuel.

Personally..I reckon HPI rebrand it as it means there is a good chance a first time buyer will pop a can in the deal when buying an HPI car because they brand it. It's not brilliant fuel for performance..but the high oil content does mean the motor gets a good dose of lube from an owner who potentially is learning break in and tuning from scratch. Much less likely to sieze a piston and wreck a motor....which would see them banging on the door asking for a warranty repair or a refund.

More experienced users will shop around and try different fuels until they find one they like, or follow recommendations from sites like this one. By that time, they should be able to make a more informed decision based on their needs rather than just going for a safe option.

Just to concur with what others have said, I have some HPI powerfuel and it is very oily. I had to lean my engine off a little to get it to run without the glow starter attached. Not that that's an issue as I'm running mine in again after a long pause, so the more sympathetic the fuel is for the engine the better in my opinion.

In fact, given that I am very much a hobbyist rather than an enthusiast, I won't be racing my truck or anything. It's very much just for fun, bashing around whatever bit of space I can find on a given day (ind estate, fields, beach etc). Consequently, my only requirement is that my engine runs smoothly, so I'll most probably stick with the HPI/Optifuel RTR for the high oil and cheapness factors.

byron has less oil than all fuels i think,

Many fuel brands offer different mixtures/blends. Many times people experience a certain blend that they do not like and declare the brand of fuel rubbish.

Byron- http://www.byronfuels.com/pages/products.html

Opti- http://www.optifuel.co.uk/Catalogue/Products.aspx?pid=103&cat=85

VP- http://www.powermasterfuels.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=7&Itemid=9

Model Technics- http://www.modeltechnics.com/glowfuel.htm

Tornado- http://www.tornado-products.com/car/car

O'donnell- http://www.odonnellracing.com/

The nitro and methanol in all of the fuels will be pretty much the same quality, the differences are the additives.

More oil does not mean the engine will last longer...but more oil generally will mean less performance with a wider allowance for too hot/lean.

Less oil will generally mean the engine runs cleaner/easier to start/tune....but run the engine too hot/lean and it will cry.

There are also different types of oil used, some brands only use synthetic oil, some offer a choice, whilst the main brands offer a combination of synthetic  and castor oil.

Edited by Anthoop

More oil does not mean the engine will last longer...but more oil generally will mean less performance with a wider allowance for too hot/lean.

Less oil will generally mean the engine runs cleaner/easier to start/tune....but run the engine too hot/lean and it will cry.

Interesting reading. The manual for mine recommends either Model Technics "Dynaglow" or Byron Race Gen2/RTR over and above any other fuel. I'm guessing that'll be due to the oils found in them.

I'm definitely sticking with RTR over race as whilst the increased oil content may not inherently increase longevity of an engine, the wider tolerances before running too hot/lean mean there's a safety margin built in with these fuels that aren't there with the race fuels. On top of that, now that mine is getting close to something resembling a decent state of tune, even with the HPI RTR, it's starting up near enough first pull every time, even from cold. So unless I'm missing something glaringly obvious as to why I shouldn't use HPI fuel, that's what I'll be sticking with.

Use it mate. It won't do any harm, you might lose 5% against some other fuel. Next time, if you can't get it, try some byrons. You'll pay more, possibly notice a slight difference after a re-tune but realise they're all much of a muchness. I'm running tornado at the moment. Runs fine for me. It's probably just me and the way I dip in and out of using my nitros but opti/byrons/tornado, never had a problem with any and none stand out above the rest. Except byrons on price.