• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

My defender 90 - build thread

cheers man, sadly no it was already on it when i bought it, it does look good though, think i got a coffee can miniture somewhere if you want it...when i find it lol

i would if i had a scaler, but its a shame that its doesnt looks so good on a nitro :P

in the busiest week i had for a long time i manage to start the the light kit. It arrive really promptly and then i fitted a switch. and then plugged it in.

2011-07-24_01-33-44_69.jpg

then i set about tidying this nest of wire up a little.

2011-07-24_01-58-08_546.jpg

i dont think it went too bad, all i need now is some roof rack crap to hid the wires and battery in .

• 3 weeks later...

hiya chumrades....update time, been busy busy with hospital for the past week but managed a sneaky afternoon and i really want to get this finished.

I set about getting the wheel base right for the shell as it was about a cm out. I had some links which have been modded previous (bottom links) then changed top links too. I decided to retaint the 3 point links and not go for 4 links tbh to make it a tad easier lol I then had to change the spacing on the top links to clock the axles enough so as not to strain the drive train.

2011-08-15_18-27-41_725.jpg

I hit a bit of a snag, when the axle articulates it got limited by the drive shaft. It seems the drive shaft was too short after altering the links

In the part box i delved and came out with shortened drive shafts, and after a bit of one and part of the other "TADAR" we had a winner. all bolted up and works a treat.

2011-08-15_15-34-19_752.jpg

Also when shortening the link i had to move the and tweek the shock towers and shock positions

2011-08-15_18-27-01_213.jpg

I have been toying with the idea of running a remote winch on this build and until now i havent added but decided to bite the bullet and go for it. I had been looking around and i didnt want to put a big hulking bumper on the front and take away the shape and character of the landy. SO i came up with an idea,

I fitted the winch and all bolted into place. (complete with scale rust)

2011-08-15_18-27-11_218.jpg

I am going to cut out the front of the shell and grill to fit it in so its pretty flat on the front. Not technically right with 1:1 but well it is an rc car after all lol.

2011-08-15_18-28-38_442.jpg

just need to trim the shell out which should be done tomorrow :good:

Rear bumper fitted into place. had to notch out the top edge so it didnt fowl the battery holder as i moved to th back of the chassis as it was going to be a struggle to fit it under the front but it aint gonna win and trial awards as its way too heavy for that, but its gonna look good bonnet deep in mud :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...

right here goes, have to get it sorted for the scale off road nationals at the begining of October. Had a day off and got proper cracked on, seeing as the grill was cut out i decided to dremel the front out first and make sure it fits, since my last update i have purchased and fitted a king kong hook, it looks well good.

2011-09-13_22-58-50_565.jpg

I then turn my attention to the back end, and fitted some newly acquired mud flaps, made from real rubber (cheers Gaz), added some decals a quick drill and with some m2 hardware and job done.

2011-09-13_22-55-49_974.jpg

when i got the landy the body was mounted and it looked ok but it didnt seem the most stable of fittings, so decided to get my mate tom24/7 from on here to weld me some body mounts and built in rock sliders,

2011-09-13_22-56-14_890.jpg

they do weigh a few grammes but tbh this thing weighs a ton any way lol

first shot with body mounted on new mountings and sliders, wheel base looks spot on to me, what do you guys think?

2011-09-13_22-57-10_918.jpg

thanks for the comments. i have added the roof rack full of stuff lol and then wired allthe lights up, added all extra parts such as number plates. check out the pics below.

2011-09-29_22-08-18_124.jpg

2011-09-29_22-10-42_319.jpg

2011-09-29_22-08-26_271.jpg

only thing i find now, is thats its proper heavy weighing in at 4.5 kilos lol might have to start drilling some holes to lighten this sucker lol

only thing i find now, is thats its proper heavy weighing in at 4.5 kilos lol might have to start drilling some holes to lighten this sucker lol
Nah, just do what LR did for the US market......... stick the equivalent of a V8 in it, instead of the TD5 thats in there now........ :thumbsup: