• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

My defender 90 - build thread

thought i;d bob a thread on showing the build and development of my landy scaler. been wanting to do one for a while been collecting parts as its gonna be a doozy.

a while back i purchase a scx with landy hard body from big gaz (cheers fella, top bloke by the way :good: ) and couldnt bring my self to run the hard body so i purchased a hpi rubicon for it and have abused it in scaler run for a few months but i have seen a few hard body builds and thought mmm i got to get me one of those.

Anyways today been building a bid standard SCX10 which i will mod to fit and the hard body again.

2011-06-20_17-56-08_303.jpg

2011-06-20_17-56-01_802.jpg

The i got my good friend TOM 24-7 to do me a badboy roll cage, i know the rc4wd are nice but i couldnt justify the cost, so i ask him to have a bash at one, and hes done me proud, i daresay he will be getting more work from me, here what it looks like before a quick tidy up and paint.

16062011586-1.jpg

At the same time decided to paint my OEM beadlocks to match the cage and they have come out well nice.

2011-06-19_14-36-58_547.jpg

A bit of test fitting to the shell.

2011-06-18_22-16-10_472.jpg

thanks for watching and i will update as i go along ...thoughts and views always welcome

Is that a original land rover paint??

it is mate, rioja red (from a discovery though)

i wouldnt knwo as big gaz painted it :good:

cheers mate, looks real good with the cage on, we got to load up that roof rack now!! :good::good::good:

Edited by big gaz

should look sweet mate.

i tried to keep it a "scale" as possible with the shell, but i know heavyleftthumb will do the body justice now, when i had it, it was covered in scale dust :whistling::rofl::rofl:

managed to collect some used Rc4wd mud grabbers on my rc travels, a very nice scale looking tyre. hopefully will be nice and grippy and sell cleaning.

2011-06-20_21-11-57_443.jpg

decided to use some self adhesive weights and some surprisingly bendable lead flashing , then added some insulation tape to make sure it doesnt moved. They seem really heavy but i have told of people putting extreme amounts of weight, i may well add more in future but for now they have 150g in each front and 120 in each back one.

2011-06-20_21-54-43_238.jpg

Edited by heavyleftthumb

been thinking about front bumpers. i already got some box section made from aluminium from big gaz( cheers pal) and they do look so realistic like proper landy ones, do i have a bull bar or not, as i have seen some and they change the look for the front and ti doesnt look like a landy any more, what do you guys think? maybe a simple hoop design or just run the bumperS?

i would say the small hoop mate for the bullbar with maybe a winch or 2 spotlamps in there.

as for lights, the ones you have will be fine mate, pp9 battery will last ages with them, there not bulbs that drink juice, they will last the same as have 6x 5mm leds, mine have lasted near on a year with the same battery.

ill do you a bumper if you fancy calling round one day mate, bout half hours job.

+1 on the battery gaz mine had been submerged and allsorts and i bet if i turned it on now it would work and its the same battery i had at SDR :lol:

mine still has the sdr one in too, looks worse for where but still works..... :rofl::rofl:

I'd go with big gaz's suggestion a defender looks better with only a small A bar on or just standard box bumpers. Would love a metal bumper to put on my Landy shell which I use on my savage. Would give it a true look!!

think your both right been googling the landy and they rarely have bars on it, time for test fitting the bumpers and might bob an ally hoop at most,

cheers for the info ont he leds never ran lights for long and did want to blink and it be flat lol

I'd go with big gaz's suggestion a defender looks better with only a small A bar on or just standard box bumpers. Would love a metal bumper to put on my Landy shell which I use on my savage. Would give it a true look!!

sure gaz could knock you a bumper up :good: