• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Any auto electrician on here

stebro

Evening all

Right i need some help with a kia sedona piece of junk that my mother in law has roped in to looking at.

First off the drivers door electrtic window stopped working about 4 mths ago and i told her then to get a switch but she never did but she just used the passenger window all the time instead now that has packed up too.

So i got out my gear again and tested and the motor worked up and down sticking 12v to it but i was only getting 12v from the switch 1 way. So 2 new switvhes needed now.

Right here is where the fun starts Fitted new switches today and yep you guessed it they don't work the windows. Tested the drivers and it seems the motor has burn't out now some how :confused: but the passenger still works. When i operate the switch i get 12v up and down but i get continuity when not in use ( which i should ) but i also get it when i go down on all switches.

Now have checked for broken wire going to earth which is what i thought it could have been but can't find any thing.

Is there any other reason i may have for have continuity and 12v when i trying to operate the window.

Do the have a module somewhere?

Can someone shed any light on the mattter maybe before i kill the car or worse the mother in law :whistling:

Thanks Ste

Evening all

Right i need some help with a kia sedona piece of junk that my mother in law has roped in to looking at.

First off the drivers door electrtic window stopped working about 4 mths ago and i told her then to get a switch but she never did but she just used the passenger window all the time instead now that has packed up too.

So i got out my gear again and tested and the motor worked up and down sticking 12v to it but i was only getting 12v from the switch 1 way. So 2 new switvhes needed now.

Right here is where the fun starts Fitted new switches today and yep you guessed it they don't work the windows. Tested the drivers and it seems the motor has burn't out now some how :confused: but the passenger still works. When i operate the switch i get 12v up and down but i get continuity when not in use ( which i should ) but i also get it when i go down on all switches.

Now have checked for broken wire going to earth which is what i thought it could have been but can't find any thing.

Is there any other reason i may have for have continuity and 12v when i trying to operate the window.

Can someone shed any light on the mattter maybe before i kill the car or worse the mother in law :whistling:

Thanks Ste

Kill the moter in law :D claim she was KIA "killed in action"

sounds like you have module problem somewhere!

Kill the moter in law :D claim she was KIA "killed in action"

sounds like you have module problem somewhere!

Liking your answer

K>I>A :rofl:

there will be a relay that controls power to the motor. Sometimes they stick in the closed position. Hence the power on when window not operating.

Try looking behind trim panels in front footwells or .............in the manual - fuses - relays etc

it may a relay that is shot rather than the motor.Try putting power direct to motor ( take it out first )......see if you get any movment.

i had the same problem in my mitsubishi carsima changed the switch`s checked the fuses like you did and it turned out tobe the motor so i hit the hell out of it with a screwdriver and its worked ever since.

just one more thing for you to try and if that doesnt work it could be a faulty motor good luck getting it out there a nightmare

Should have said that I have done the fuse and relay too as I swapped then over with different ones but still getting this reading

But when the motor is disconnected i get the reading of the continuity and the 12v at the same time. The motor on the passenger side works if i put 12v to it manually

But when the motor is disconnected i get the reading of the continuity and the 12v at the same time. The motor on the passenger side works if i put 12v to it manually

have you tried the swicth for the passenger side on the driver side

i haven't no. worth a shot but the switch on the driver side is a double one that controls the 2 front windows so not sure if the plug is the same

• 12 years later...

Regarding the window troubles, it's a bit of a head-scratcher. If you've already checked for broken wires and replaced the switches, it might be worth considering if there's some sort of control module in the mix. Those things can be tricky to diagnose, but they could be the culprit behind the continuity and 12v readings.
Oh, and if you're ever in need of electrical expertise of a different kind, I'd recommend checking out Kanata Utilities Ltd. They might not fix car windows, but they're the go-to High Voltage Powerline Contractor in Ottawa. They've got the know-how when it comes to power lines and such. You can find more info about them at kanatautilitiesltd.ca. Hope you figure out the car situation soon and save the mother-in-law and the Sedona

Edited by saidu7

On 05/05/2011 at 20:39, stebro said:

Evening all

Discovering the ULEZ Check for various car types has been a game-changer in promoting environmentally friendly transportation. This comprehensive tool, available at carcheck123 simplifies the process of determining ULEZ compliance. Whether you own a petrol, diesel, hybrid, or electric vehicle, this platform provides clarity on adherence to stringent emission standards. ULEZ Check empowers car owners to make informed decisions, fostering the transition to low-emission models and contributing to cleaner urban air. Embracing a greener future has never been easier, with ULEZ Check offering a quick and efficient solution for all car types in the pursuit of eco-friendly commuting.

Thanks Ste

I wanna to buy electro car in the future.

Edited by hagerumas

On 29/12/2023 at 09:43, saidu7 said:

Regarding the window troubles, it's a bit of a head-scratcher. If you've already checked for broken wires and replaced the switches, it might be worth considering if there's some sort of control module in the mix. Those things can be tricky to diagnose, but they could be the culprit behind the continuity and 12v readings.
Oh, and if you're ever in need of electrical expertise of a different kind, I'd recommend checking out Kanata Utilities Ltd. They might not fix car windows, but they're the go-to High Voltage Powerline Contractor in Ottawa. They've got the know-how when it comes to power lines and such. You can find more info about them at kanatautilitiesltd.ca. Hope you figure out the car situation soon and save the mother-in-law and the Sedona

This was twelve years ago, it's probably scrapped by now? 😄