• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

THE E-Firestorm Thread

My Firestorm has just been delivered, so checked the measurements of the battery compartment the 160mm x 60mm x 26 is spot on.

But one thing to take into account is the wires leaving the battery, my 2S lipo wouldn't fit.

Had to cut a load of the plastic wrap away on the lipo, under where the wires exit.. so that the wires would bend back allowing the battery to fit in width ways!

Edited by Goldigger

I was just looking at batteries last night too.

This 6400mah battery will fit without having to mod anything. Although you will need a new way to lock/strap the battery in place.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__44453__ZIPPY_Traxxas_6400mAh_3S1P_30C_Lipo_Pack_Suits_TRA2857_UK_Warehouse_.html?strSearch=3s%20traxxas

even considering how the wires exit the pack? You don't really want to cut the bulkhead.

My Firestorm has just been delivered, so checked the measurements of the battery compartment the 160mm x 60mm x 26 is spot on.

But one thing to take into account is the wires leaving the battery, my 2S lipo wouldn't fit.

Had to cut a load of the plastic wrap away on the lipo, under where the wires exit.. so that the wires would bend back allowing the battery to fit in width ways!

there is recommendations for 2ss and 3s slipos in the first post.

even considering how the wires exit the pack? You don't really want to cut the bulkhead.

Yep. The battery tray upto the rear tower is about 145mm long. This battery is 138mm long which is sufficient length for the wires etc to fit. Also due to the height of the battery, it's possible the wires may not even contact the battery bulkhead.

I ordered a nanotech 5000mah, it's within the measurements of the battery compartment..
http://www.hobbyking.co.uk/hobbyking/store/__34296__Turnigy_nano_tech_5000mah_3S_35_70C_Lipo_Pack_UK_Warehouse_.html

also ordered a load of the turnigy NiMh LSD AA batteries.. see how they hold up in the remote..

http://www.hobbyking.co.uk/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=41336

Edited by Goldigger

No... I posted from my phone and it repeated the text twice!

So edited it from my laptop, which won't let me post links, so I manually edited the link which didn't work.

Old link was international warehouse.. edited link is EU warehouse.

But link edited now.

Edited by Goldigger

Ok this question isn't specific to my Firestorm..

All my lipos I have soldered on EC5 connectors, the firestorm comes with a dean's..

New lipos ordered will come with 5mm bullets.. which I'll need to change.

I've got a little lead made up which is EC5 to dean's, is using this going to cause any current bottleneck?

if so, should I change the car to EC5 as everything else I have is EC5 (batteries, charging leads etc)

Or will changing the car void any warranty?

The best way is to have all connectors the same, they are generally down to personal preference and amp rating. I believe changing the connectors on the esc will invalidate the warranty (it does on traxxas). If something goes wrong you could always just put the old connector style back on but they would probably be able to tell due to shorter wire/soldering.

I've done that. Just a small amount though. The full amp draw that your esc will demand won't exceed the cut wires capability. Just make sure to tin the wire a good amount to get the best connection.

Edited by Tiernan85

Interested to see the final conversion..

This might be dangerous for me, I can see many hours spent on the mini mill making metal parts when and if they break!

On another note regarding batteries.. The 2014 model I've got comes with the bigger battery bar and longer bolts as a spare..

Edited by Goldigger

On the box it says the firestorm can do 77 mph, but doesn't explain how you go about making it do this..at least I haven't managed to find it.

There is a load of additional bits for the car in the box, including some gearing... Is it a simply case of changing them and it will do warp speed? (With a 3s)

I've only had the firestorm for a short while, and it's great, and I've also had other stadium trucks before too. I wouldn't see the point of two(although this is just me). If you have something in this category already, I'd personally look for something different that you can use in different ways. Unless perhaps the t4 is strictly for racing etc. Then this could make a worthy basher.

I've only had the firestorm for a short while, and it's great, and I've also had other stadium trucks before too. I wouldn't see the point of two(although this is just me). If you have something in this category already, I'd personally look for something different that you can use in different ways. Unless perhaps the t4 is strictly for racing etc. Then this could make a worthy basher.

The T4 is fairly tough, but typical Associated, not the best basher.

It's either gonna be a Firestorm or a Blitz.

Cheers.