• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

wobbling phenomenon

Stomper90

Hi people. I am not particularly experienced in RC setup and maintenance. I have recently acquired a Losi Mini 8ight. Umongst other things , I have upgraded the servo to a hitec digital one as well as a Kimbrough servo saver.

I have noticed there seems to be a lot of play in the steering. If I hold the car I can wiggle the wheels a fair bit before the servo gears are engaged. When driving the car the front wheels wobble a lot. This is particularly pronounced when in reverse.

I can't really see what to do in the steering assembly to remedy the issue. I have tried the search function and looked at YouTube but nothing really seemed to cover it.

Any advice from people much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Nick

Check the hub bearings and wheels. Also might just need to tight the servo saver and bell crank. I use a solid ally arm from the servo to the rod then replaced the bearings on the joining plate and top and bottom of the bell cranks. Could just need a good service chap.

Theres lots of things that can cause or contribute to it.

Bends

bearings

wheel balance

shock placement no symmetrical

play in the arms.

servo not centred.

radio not neutral.

weight distribution.

Probably more too mate. Sorry i skimmed the thread and presumed it was pulling to the side. If its just wobbly wheels check their balanced and foams are dry. Also mayb put washers/shims where the steering slop is to tighten it up.

Edited by RCbutcher

Yep if your referring to the plate that connects the steering in the centre, mine was god awful too more slop than a Tamiya kit and that was with the carbon one, went back to stock and it half end it so fitted washers too and almost got rid of it.

Best to have a tiny amount though just to make sure that nothing is binding......

Hi stomper 

yes steering slop it comes with most cars unless they are pro-grade race-grade chassis.

the slop is usually down to the steering link system and a replacement alloy

bar system usually clears up nearly all but a smidge of slop.

my old Rc18T/B was a pain in the rear till i splashed out into an alloy solid plate link 

and some bearing run stubs and hubs. another area is adjustable links from the steering knuckle

to the main steering link bar system, these will also help with toe and heal on the wheels

and an adjustable upper link for camber.

meanwhile your shim fitting will solve the problem but will not fix it, you still have that steering as the weak link

so i would say have a look a a steering hopup next to lock that steering to run like its on rails.