• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

TT-01/TL-01 Essential Upgrades/Hop-ups

Hpi_matrix_stock

Ok, alot of people ask what they should put in these tamiya cars as upgrades/first mods/hop-ups so I thought id write a list of essiential hop-ups :)

For the TL-01 chassis you will need:

A bearing set

and

Carbon fibre prop shaft

For the TT-01 chassis you will need:

A bearing set

and

Alloy prop shaft

The bearings are almost an essiential upgrade, it will make your transmission alot smoother because there is less friction. This will also mean an increase in speed and run times. The bearings replace the plastic bushings already on the car.

The prop shaft upgrades are for when you install a faster motor. The stock plastic shaft can not hadle alot of power and a better prop shaft will give you more reliability.

Basic fast electrics for both the TT-01 and TL-01:

Novak XRS ESC

This electronic speed controller controls the speed at which your motor is running at. It can take a 15 Turn motor, basically the lower the turn the faster the motor.

Orion Element V2 Motor

This motor is 19T but will still be very quick and because of it radical design (see the cool green heatsink end of it) it is longer wearing before needing a skim or brush change.

Msuk 7.2V 3300mah Nimh Battery

This battery is a budget model but will still provide good power and runtimes, however if your budget is bigger there are plenty of better batteries on the market.

Ripmax Vari-pulse charger

This charger will charge almost anything and has variable charge rates for all different kinds of batteries. It will do up to 8 cells, ni-cad or ni-mh, fast and slow charge and will work off 12V or the mains.

TT01 gearing options

tt01gearingtg4uo0.jpg

Explanation:

Here's the possible pinions and spurs that fit a TT01, and the motor mounting holes you'll need to get the right mesh, that won't strip the gears.

tt01gearingtg4rh9.jpg

The numbers in the middle of the chart are the Final Drive Ratio, the amount of times the motor turns for one revolution of the wheel.

Lower FDR's mean more top speed, higher FDR's mean more acceleration.

In general, when you fit a faster motor, you fit a lower FDR. Fit a slower motor and you need a higher FDR. That doesn't take into account the space you've got to run the car in, so smaller areas mean a lower FDR as you're not going to be able to reach the top speed with a high FDR, so its always a balance of top speed and acceleration that match the motor and the area.

I hope this helps a few people :good: maybe it can be made a sticky :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My son has a TT01. Its got the full ballrace setup on it and the alloy propshaft.

He's complaining that its not fast enough. Do I go for the new motor and a new ESC. Is the car worth upgrading?. If I fit these will I need to upgrade anything else.

Graeme

Yeah go for it. As long as its got ball raced bearings and an alloy prop shaft i dont think you will need anything else for it. Take a look at the upgrades above. How old is he?

David

Edited by david-6

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've just got my TT01!!!

Hopefully going to get the alloy prop shaft at the weekend.. Its already ballraced :D

I would like to be able to adjust toe in and camber... What upgrade do I need?

:D just upgraded my TL-01 Impreza WRC wot a difference the ball races make! :good: runs so smooth now got rear toe in, new shocks, king pins, sport tuned gears, adjustable front toe, new motor, the wee thing is a rocket now! stabilizers seem a bit loose tho any ideas?

You need to get the bar to sit on the little shelves (see picture) then clamp to the chassis using your bumper :good:

tl01antirollbartp5.jpg

Cars a bit greasy lol, well, its my bros. I will show him where hes missed :lol:

Edited by david-6

You need to get the bar to sit on the little shelves (see picture) then clamp to the chassis using your bumper :good:

tl01antirollbartp5.jpg

cheers bud i diddn'd hav them in rite after all, wot a nugget!!!

haha no problem mate :good: can you post some pics of your car in the gallery? wouldnt mind seeing how its turned out :good:

i'll try this may take a wile i'm new to all this internet stuff!