• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

1st Post My Flux finally finished

RJJ

Hi everybody my 1st post on this forum. I purchased the flux new in July and sorry to say never ran it. I stripped it down and then built what you see below,.It took me a while to collect parts and some thinking on exactly how to solve some problems eg mech brakes. Majority of the hopups are from HPI but also Platinum RC, Lunsford Racing,, Tonys Screwz, Tcs Crawlers, Castle Link, Bad Horsie, Fastrax RC, Proline, Hostile, Uber Rc, Gorilla Snawt, Spektrum. Ko Propo, Savox, Edit. My friend a few years ago had a model shop and had custom titanium lower bulkhead plates made and I have used these as some weight here low may help handling. I was surprised to see HPI have discontinued the carbon hinge pin braces and I managed to source a set from Canada.

Diffs have 50wt oil front and rear, white springs with 45wt oil in the big bores. Its been a good project and below are the pictures, I am sure by the pics you know what is original and what parts have been upgraded. . Enjoy :)

Bulkheads:

DSC01478.jpg

DSC01477.jpg

Gearbox:

DSC01476.jpg

Savox 1256 + Ballraced steering + heavy duty spring & driveshaft::

DSC01479.jpg

Mech Brakes:

DSC01481.jpg

RSC Conversion + hubs to run baja wheels:

DSC01508.jpg

Esc repositioned:

DSC01507.jpg

DSC01511.jpg

18th Pinion:

DSC01512.jpg

Ko propo servo + brake linkage:

DSC01513.jpg

Carbon skid guard:

DSC01510.jpg

Final Result airbrush skills by Jon Miller, pictures do not do the shell justice, their are black ghost flames in the black paintwork.

DSC01496.jpg

DSC01499.jpg

DSC01498.jpg

DSC01500.jpg

DSC01502.jpg

DSC01503.jpg

DSC01506.jpg

DSC01514.jpg

Edited by RJJ
  • Like 1

Thanks guys. I have not ran it yet just tested it to make sure everything works esp the linkage mechanism for the brake and failsafe kicks in when it should. My baja is on the ramp next as I have the same colour body shell and undertray to match with my RC vehicles.

This is my 2nd build, I also built a nice 1/16 revo vxl which I posted on the traxxas forum, link below.

http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread.php?529988-RJJ-s-Revo-(pic-heavy)

I love the hobby and don't really show my rides but my missus somehow persuaded me to show my rides. Will post a pic of my baja and flux together as the shells do look cool, at some point.:002:

Thanks guys. I have not ran it yet just tested it to make sure everything works esp the linkage mechanism for the brake and failsafe kicks in when it should. My baja is on the ramp next as I have the same colour body shell and undertray to match with my RC vehicles.

This is my 2nd build, I also built a nice 1/16 revo vxl which I posted on the traxxas forum, link below.

http://traxxas.com/f...Revo-(pic-heavy)

I love the hobby and don't really show my rides but my missus somehow persuaded me to show my rides. Will post a pic of my baja and flux together as the shells do look cool, at some point.:002:

thats crazy, i remember seeing the merv ages ago and falling in love with it

loving the savage build looks sweet!

not sure about the failsafe idea, most electriccs should just stop with no signal, if you set a fail safe it may make the esc go into full reverse.

my mmm does not stop if i turn off my dx3s transmitter

the dx3r has a inbuilt failsafe though

http://traxxas.com/f...Revo-(pic-heavy)

wont a failsafe make it go full reverse, but with brakes? so basically burn out ur brakes really quick then it will still take off? but backwards

since writing that i realized that aslong as you dont set it up like your supposed to it should be fine. i.e. setting it at 0 not half brakes like the manual suggests

Edited by sickass_smithy

I am running with no electric brake or reverse from my esc so I have to make sure on my spektrum receiver the failsafe applies brakes to about 40%. I have not added an aftermarket failsafe.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I wanted mech brakes as when the esc applies electric braking you have electric current running back to the batteries. For me I wanted to be kinder to the batteries and so could help with longer run times maybe or overheating of the batteries. Also the baja wheels are a lot heavier so could lead to extra stress on the esc and lead to issues ?. I am running HPI plasma 7.4v 5300mah at present. and may give it a run on 6s but I am not keen as it is my p & j.

Edited by RJJ

loving the savage build looks sweet!

not sure about the failsafe idea, most electriccs should just stop with no signal, if you set a fail safe it may make the esc go into full reverse.

Yes! As I found out when my savage attacked me! Turned the transmitter off before the car and it slammed into reverse straight into my leg:)

I am running with no electric brake or reverse from my esc so I have to make sure on my spektrum receiver the failsafe applies brakes to about 40%. I have not added an aftermarket failsafe.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I wanted mech brakes as when the esc applies electric braking you have electric current running back to the batteries. For me I wanted to be kinder to the batteries and so could help with longer run times maybe or overheating of the batteries. Also the baja wheels are a lot heavier so could lead to extra stress on the esc and lead to issues ?. I am running HPI plasma 7.4v 5300mah at present. and may give it a run on 6s but I am not keen as it is my p & j.

If your batteries are decent with a suitably high discharge rating (30C is good, the higher the better!), then you'll get no problems with damaging/overheating the cells if you're not using a mechanical brake, and the run times will be longer as the cells get charged when you're braking.

The problem with the Baja wheels will likely lead to issues with weaknesses in the drivetrain, which will be under much more stress, rather than the ESC which won't suffer at all with the bigger wheels/tyres. If you properly shim everything you possibly can to ensure proper contact and stop any play, then you're less likely to have issues with bits of the drivetrain failing.

Stunning build though buddy! Loving the CF Platinum RC bits and the titanium bulk plates are a nice touch (don't suppose your friend has any more laying about..? I'd love some for my new Savvy Flux build! wink.gif ).

Be good to see some vids of it in action good.gifwhistling.gif

Cheers, Lawrence.