• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Thunder's 1st Baja - Sheila

Thunderwolf

shame i had a run before taking these but never mind.

DSC00044.jpg

DSC00047.jpg

DSC00045.jpg

shell was done by Jon Miller

i was going to stick with red on this at first hence all the reb stuff dotted around, will change them over for another colour at some point.

Edited by Thunderwolf

• 3 months later...

ah finaly found it.

thought i'd give this a small update.

currently the parts on this are as follows:

29cc engine with de choked carb (unsure which carb it is so if i can find out please let me know how)

samba v2 exhaust

sliverback rc wheels and outer beadlocks

outerwears pullstart cover

outerwears airfilter cover

proline bow tie rear tyres (not great)

5t roll bar

cbz rear bumbers

most of which are in the above pictures, the rest of the parts are stock.

i ordered some new parts from mmrlargescale.com, most to replace the red alloy and covers (if you want the red bits pm me) they are:

Outerwears airfilter and pullstart covers in black

TGN alloy pullstart handle - silver

Turtle Racing front shock brace - silver

Turtle Racing ear shock brace - silver

GH Racing alloy front shock support - silver

RPM rear bumper

RPM rear skid plate

few other parts may follow depending how how these parts perform with my driving.

currently i have the clutch system on watch as its still plastic so i expect it to become a proble with this 29cc engine (from a 23cc)

i'll be changing the 5t rollbar for the RPM sparkplug cover and i'll be replacing the wing soon as this one is busted, rear tyes are another thing i'll be changing, but they can wait until these one are worn out, the only real big issue i have with the baja at this moment are the stupid e-clips holding the front axle stubs in place, which i will either mod the current ones to use m5 bolts or just buy some with that done already, may also get some enclosed nuts for the wheels aswell to stop the dirt getting into the rear, which is annoying when doing a strip down.

when i get the rpm cover nos the 5t one is all yours if you want it, it makes a great handle but it annoys me for some reason.

anyone want the alloy rear brace, bumper thing?

i've been looking at clutch set ups, partly due to my plastic stock one starting to give out under the extra power, mostly to beef up that blasted pinion bolt.

thinging the vertigo set up, or going for a turtle racing hd clutch set up.

when i get the rpm cover nos the 5t one is all yours if you want it, it makes a great handle but it annoys me for some reason.

anyone want the alloy rear brace, bumper thing?

i've been looking at clutch set ups, partly due to my plastic stock one starting to give out under the extra power, mostly to beef up that blasted pinion bolt.

thinging the vertigo set up, or going for a turtle racing hd clutch set up.

not sure if its in your interest but this may be a good cheaper alternate?

http://mmrlargescale.co.uk/acatalog/RCTGN7160.html

http://www.rcmodelz.co.uk/product/km-aluminum-clutch-bell-carrier-gunmetal.php

I have that KM part and it seems good, i also have the enclosed version which looks good too although the orange anodizing is skimping in places. Mine came with screws for fitment to, says there 10.9?

not sure if its in your interest but this may be a good cheaper alternate?

http://mmrlargescale.co.uk/acatalog/RCTGN7160.html

http://www.rcmodelz.co.uk/product/km-aluminum-clutch-bell-carrier-gunmetal.php

I have that KM part and it seems good, i also have the enclosed version which looks good too although the orange anodizing is skimping in places. Mine came with screws for fitment to, says there 10.9?

neither will help out with my problem mate.

the clutch plate is ok as is imo, its the clutch carrier and the issue of my pinion bolt snapping causing me the most problems.

the plastic one i have is starting to warp from the heat and its letting grid and sand into the clutch area.

the m4 bolt in holding the pinion on, even a harden steel one keep snapping from the torque or something, they don't come loose, they physicly snap in half.

plan is either the vertigo enclosed clutch carrier with the hex and nut clutch bell and pinion set up.

or the turtle racing hd clutch system, which does all of the above along with the gearplate bit but has the ease of a m6 bolt (would rather a bolt than a nut)

not sure which is the better option.

got the rpm sparkplug cover ordered from ddm.

not gotten anything in th epost as of yet so i looks like i'll be fitting all the work with this and the other cars around work, which is a shame but can't be helped.

started getting some of my parts today.

only part of my order from mmr has arrived and out of what i have i've only installed 2 bits.

so the ass end on my baja got replaced from this:

100_0911.jpg

and replaced it with this beefy rpm setup:

100_0912.jpg

100_0914.jpg

100_0915.jpg

i'll get her out and see how she goes, the alloy brace i had was (as it turns out) bent slightly, makng removal annoyingly difficult.

the rpm parts went on easily as most of their parts i've used in the past have done, the posts came with their own screws as te hpi ones are too small for them.

the top part isn't much different in terms of looks to the stock item, but you can feel the difference in strength (i broke the stock part) slightly tight fit into the rear bulkhead but i find that a good thing.

the real difference is with the lower half, it just 2cm of solid, finned plastic, if i had a rear dom or the uber predator pipes it think it will protect them quite well, however not having seen these pipes i'm sceptical on them even fitting in the gap.

not used them yet but on terms of hand bending and looks the set up looks to be a winner.

Edited by Thunderwolf

• 2 weeks later...

well i got her out today.

it had bee raining alot this week so it was very muddy, but my patience had run out so screw it.

only got the front brace and the rpm rear end on, rpm stuff held up well for the very tame driving i did, i can't comment of this brace as i have a broken shock support which is now totaly busted, so won't be using it again till the gh racing replacements turn up.

i have found a use for the stock rims, terrible on the car so i put some of silverback rc's wheels on, the odl ones got turned into a car stand for the baja and the slash :D

these tyres realy do suck royal, grip in the mud wasn't just lacking i may aswell have been driving on solid ice, although one of my work mates loved how it was throwing mud all over the place including over myself :lol:

i have some new pictures!

only real difference is the front turtle racing shock brance and the rpm sparkplug cover....and alot of mud
100_0919.jpg

100_0920.jpg

it would seem getting the parts i ordered just after xmas is more problematic than i first thought, most of my baja parts come from mmr so they can xpect and e-mail shortly.

also there is one problem with the samba v2 and the rpm rear bumper...
100_0921.jpg

the whole top end is covered in oil and that is somthing that must not continue so i'll get some silcone pipe or something to extend the exhaust outlet away from the car more.

Edited by Thunderwolf

had a great bash with 3 blokes i met last week.

had alittle issue starting the baja, after 20mins it fired up for some unknown reason lol.

had a great time and ran over my slash 4x4 by mistake, did afew jumps and the 2 big problems i have with this car came up on the same day!

first that stupid pinion bolt snapped for the 9th time, one of the guy helped me get it out and had a replacment which was great and off it was again.

20mins later a small roll saw the rear shock rod breaking off for the 5th time.

as of 5mins ago i placed yet another order on mini moto racing for a tr hd clutch carrier set up which replaces almost all of the clutch set up, hopefully a m6 bolt won't be so eager to snap like these m4 ones are.

i also got the darksoul rear shock shafts, now if these are stronger i don't know but i would mean fixing them is easier rather than replacing the whole shaft i'll just replace the rod end.

also e0mailed them about the other 2 orders i'm waiting for, including a killer rc killswitch, uber rc billet wheel hubs and some other things.

as of 5mins ago i placed yet another order on mini moto racing for a tr hd clutch carrier set up which replaces almost all of the clutch set up, hopefully a m6 bolt won't be so eager to snap like these m4 ones are.

IF it doesnt work try this, im going to get one of these and remove the bolt completely :good:

http://www.davesmotors.com/s.nl/c.885035/n.1/it.A/id.6619/.f

vr set up won't fit this tr clutch setup as the clutch bell with this is larger.

i am going to keep the stock set up just incase i do come up with issues, so if its don't work i'll try out the vr set up instead.

i got afew parts in the post today and (with any luck) be getting some more over the week as gareth at mmr said most of the parts on backorder are back in stock.

so from now there should be a good deal of difference when i'm done.

so far on the parts i got are:

rpm front bumper

killswitch

new covers for airfilter and pullstart

silver hub nuts

uber rc airfilter with velocity stack

i think i remembered it all.

i think i'll be replacing the bearings soon and rebuilding the diff aswell (not done since i bought her)

on i side note like all the cars i liked, i named her....yes i name the cars i like.

i called her sheila :)

ok it would seem i now have all the parts i ordered, but i totaly lost track and got bored

the tr clutch set up arrived with the ds rear shock shafts so i decided while i have the rear end in bits i may aswell get asmuch as i can on her in one go and get her ready for sunday. the later is now in the "probly not gonna happen" area, but the small strip down turned out to be a very wise move.

what i have installed so far:

gh racing shock supports for the front

uber rc airfilter and velocity stack

uber rc silver enclosed wheel nuts (front only)

and the enclosed clutch carrier and clutch bell from the tr hd clutch system.

yet to be put on:

tr rear shock brace

killswitch

rear wing

outerwears pullstart cover, black

alloy pullstart handle, also black

i think i remembered everything :lol:

2 main things i found while working on her are the 4 missing screws for mounting the engine (the 3 underneath and the one on the rear end side of the pullstart. i also found the engine mount plate bit on the clutch side was bent, i also found the front uper arm hinge pins didn't have e-clips on either side

so putting her back together is being held off until i can find some screws that will fit (i found about 8 missing in total)

i'll post a pic up of how she sits now later today/tomorrow morning...

• 2 weeks later...

i got a pic of it now.

t0X7S4.jpg

ypHiHn.jpg

so far all the parts i've put on have done well.

even after a 30 foot full speed tumble it every dircection i could think of (was great fun to watch it drive away with 3 or 4 people muttering "holy crap its still going" behind me.

it wasn't as good as i had hoped as i'm now missing multipule e-clips from hingepins, not sure if it was me forgetting to put them on or they came off in the crash, or a mix of the 2 but they are gone and i don't have spares.

i got some hostile rc spur gears afew days ago, one 55t and one 56t, i need to get a 18t and 19t pinion gears for them before they go on.

also waiting to go on the car are a black alloy pullstart handle, black outerwears pullstart cover and the killer bee killswitch.

these will be fitted when i can be bothered to do so.