• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Bez's Carbon Nexx8 Racer Build

-BEZ-

Start of a new year, so start of a new build :good:

This build is going to be a Nexx8/CR X2 Hybrid, I intend to build her from the ground up with a diet of light weight 7075 cnc and carbon fibre.

here is an idea of the spec I have in mind, aka my shopping list xD

Chassis and handling

- 4.6mm Carbon fibre chassis

- 3.5mm Carbon top plate/brace

- 7075 T6 cnc chassis braces

- 7075 T6 CNC CR X2 Shock Towers

- CR X2 CNC Akerman link

- 7075 T6 Rear Hubs

- 7075 T6 Front hubs

- Light weight Steering and diff posts

- CNC Knuckles

- Lunsford titanium turnbuckles

- SPL arm pins

- CNC pin braces and Caster blocks

- Light weight 7075 T6 hubs

- CR X1 PBS front conversion?

- 16mm HN bigbores

- Light weight shock stand offs

Drive Line

- CR X2 Light weight 43:10 diff crowns, with Light Weight pins and outdrives

- Torsen center diff with 46t Light weight spur

- CR X2 Light weight center CVDsall round, modded to fit slightly different lengths for center

- RC Monsteror Annsman motor mount, depending on motor fitment

- CNC Center Diff Brace

Im still waiting on a few bits currently, but here is a teaser pic of the chassis :xd:

IMG_1603.jpg

Edited by -BEZ-

yes you dip cotton bud in CA glue then wipe the edge of the chassis, less chance of getting drips then, and it also leaves a more consistent finish

.......... and the burning reference was to the fact that when you put cotton buds into CA glue, a chemical reaction takes place that causes vapors to be released that look like smoke

Edited by -BEZ-

I get you now, i just put a tiny drop of glue on the edge and roll it round by slowly spinning the part round, mainly because i aint got any cotton buds, another tip i heard was to colour the carbon edge after sanding with a black marker pen before sealing to make a neater job :thumbsup:

Looking good bez :D

EDIT: How did you make the engraved areas?

nothing ive done, the chassis is a SNR graphite jobbie, but i would have to say its been cut via CNC :good:

Yeah would be nice, but im yet to find a carbon fibre product that already comes with the edges sealed, not that ive had the time to do it today, which sucks, but no point in rushing a delicate job like that :good:

a touch of thinned out resin does the trick to seal the edges dont forget the activator otherwise your end up with a sticky edge that will never cure

awesome :D cant wait to see how this comes along,

I do like the design off the nexx8... shame the body is fugly :P do they do aftermarket ones yet? also... most the CR x2 parts fit right?

will be watching this carefully :)

you sure love your Hong nors!

Yep i do love my Hong Nors, the fact that alot of the parts are interchangeable is awesome. Yes a lot of Light Weight CR X2 stuff is going onto this chassis

Yeah the bodys aren't that pretty and not cheap either, but a good paint job helps alot imo.

that's got to be the most expensive shipping to weight I've seen yet lol

I'm always a bit dubious about carbon towers, however I've read some posts from the main man at SNR on RCtech.net and he made some for the nexx8 that broke the bulkhead before the tower failed they where uber thick tho 5mm if I recall