• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

My E-Revo Brushless with a few Mods

Granby

6s with relaxed gearing makes my e-revo get hot also. I have found the castle creations blower works pretty well at keeping temps down. Have you tested yet if this hobbyking version does a better job at cooling? (links to fan/heatsink would also be nice)

I'm still waiting for the driveshafts :-(

Edited by 1uke

Nope haven't tested it yet, but you can feel the cool air when it is switched on more than you could with the castle creations one

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=9131

It has to be modified a bit to fit but if you have a hacksaw or dremel style tool its not a problem

Edited by Granby

Very tempted! But I would prefer to find a heatsink that covers more of the can if possible.

In regards to what Guns said, I disagree I think theres nothing wrong with abit of cooling and with 6s its highly reccomended as rc cars now are getting so powerful. Heastsinks and water cooling is the future. My pc would be toast in under 2 seconds if it wasn't for the 12 fans and some water keeping it cool :rolleyes:

My 2200kv gets pretty warm aswell, tops at about 60C after a hard run.

I won't bother with a fan though, I'd rather just gear it properly. Nice to have a silent car :)

New motor cooler looks great though, far more effective than the CC blower...

tbh I think a much finer finned heatsink, similar to that of a good CPU cooler would do a better job at dissipating heat than a heatsink with a few thick thins. I guess durability is the only thing preventing them from making one...

Edited by revorocks

My 2200kv gets pretty warm aswell, tops at about 60C after a hard run.

I won't bother with a fan though, I'd rather just gear it properly. Nice to have a silent car :)

New motor cooler looks great though, far more effective than the CC blower...

tbh I think a much finer finned heatsink, similar to that of a good CPU cooler would do a better job at dissipating heat than a heatsink with a few thick thins. I guess durability is the only thing preventing them from making one...

Every little helps as Tesco say lol, considering the CC fan is only plastic with no heatsink at all i would hope this is gonna be better, if not then no worries smile.gif

The CC is a blower not a heatsink and I find it has helped alot!! But a nice chunky Heatsink would probably be better especially with a high air flow shell like the pro-line slipstream. I would love to come up with a water cooling solution so I could gear really fast even on bash sessions then 6s would really come into play I feel. 6s 20/54 gearing has tons of power all through the acceleration range just the motor can't take the heat for long or on rough ground/grass.

1uke I think you dont need any more heatsink around the can then what Granby has done. Castle ribbed motor can is a heatsing itself. Wrapping heatsink in more heatsing and then trying to cool the top one isnt the most efficient way of cooling. + if you put a heatsink that will cover say 70% of the can because its ribbed - 1st you will only achieve 35% surface contact and 2nd it might stagnate the air in those ribs. i might repeat myself now but my personal view is it is most efficient to blow air on the motor can (since it acts as a heatsink already) then adding more heatsink and then trying to cool it. Thats why probably castle only supplied a blower in plastic casing. i think what Granby has done is ideal. He added just a little bit of heatsink which is always good and cutting out the section just under the fan will always send cold air down those channels created by ribs to cool down the motor directly which is probably even better. My 2p on the subject

Your maybe right but from my experience in cooling things more heatsink the better. So it might need a custom heatsink that touches every rib and maybe even thermal paste applied. If ever I have time or anyone else it would be a good test to do.

Went out for a little bash today on 6s, got about 30mins out of my nano-techs on long grass, but unfortunately i broke something sad.gif

Only a rear wing though biggrin.gif and a bent front pushrod, hit a bump and it went arse over tit a few times lol

RadioControl023.jpg

OK just giving the truck a good look over i've noticed that the mud guards i made out of a DVD case weren't up to the job as they have split :(, hmmm back to the drawing board, though i did read that someone made them out of large heat shrink so i may give that a try as it flexible smile.gif

I'm actually in a process of preventing broken wings from happening. That is my next "bright idea"... hopefully :) Will report once its done

P.S. your wing is actually very easy to fix. you are not planning to spend £12 on a new one, right?

Edited by vladimir

Went out for a little bash today on 6s, got about 30mins out of my nano-techs on long grass, but unfortunately i broke something sad.gif

Only a rear wing though biggrin.gif and a bent front pushrod, hit a bump and it went arse over tit a few times lol

RadioControl023.jpg

atleast ya didnt break ya rear body mount ive done that a few times and cant even run as i dont like running with no body incase of a flip :( i might try boiling the next rear body mount i order? whistling.gif

You did a good job on that wing :lol:

When i was faffing with the car yesterday i had it upside down, then resting end up on it's wing and thought it was bloody strong.

Plan on removing mine for the simple reason that i'm lazy and want the car to fall on it's wheels when upside down so i can self correct.