• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

HPI Bullet Owners Club

.AJ.

I stumbled into the local RC shop/track after 20 years or so, and the got the racing bug. Despite reading this entire thread from beginning to end, and seeing  ALL the problems that people have had, I simply couldn't resist a good project car. My old RS4 is, well, old. I wanted a new HPI 4WD, and settled on the Bullet. It's a monster truck at heart, but I plan to make it a track truck. As I read this thread, I took notes in an effort to address all of the problems that I saw. Aluminum rear brace (and a front one so that they match), Aluminum hub carriers and knuckles, HPI CVDs, and a WR8 center diff. In my quest for offroad track prowess, I went for a Exotek's WR8 chassis to decrease weight (though I probably added it all back with the aluminum) and provide some actual adjustability, and added WR8 sway bars. I can move both the batteries and the motor fore and aft now. And the shock towers have plenty of mounting options...  This is my HPI Bullet ATM; it's almost complete. It doesn't have near as much bashability as it did out of the box, but I cannot wait to tear up the track with it.

20190428_105047.jpg

Edited by We Are Ninja
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi all, 
Im new to the forum, quite new to RC as well. I bought my Bullet around month ago. I have problem with dogbones popping out of front cups. I have stock black orings in cups but they bend and squeeze through space in cuts. I have two questions: 
-some people wrote about fuel tubing that i can put in cups. Should I do it only on differential cups or axle cups as well? 
- if I want to stick with stock option and use O rings - should I put them in axle cups as well? I have new axles in front, and to be honest I dont remember having orings in original ones. In the rear however I have stock orings inside and outside, no problem with falling dogbones, also dogbones have around 1mm play left-right. Front dogbones with orings in axle cups tend to pop out quicker, but there is no play, without orings in axles its a bit better (but still no more than 5 minutes bashing) and there is a lot of movement of dogbone.. 
Halp! :)

• Like 1

• .AJ. unpinned this topic
  • 10 months later...
4 minutes ago, Stormbringer said:

if you message Nick he may be able to merge your id's ?

which Nick?
tnx

sounds a better idea. My email adress was closed a few years ago, so i can't log in on it and get a password change etc. so I've logged in via Google account.

On 20/06/2019 at 22:43, Kajetan Galas said:

Hi all, 
Im new to the forum, quite new to RC as well. I bought my Bullet around month ago. I have problem with dogbones popping out of front cups. I have stock black orings in cups but they bend and squeeze through space in cuts. I have two questions: 
-some people wrote about fuel tubing that i can put in cups. Should I do it only on differential cups or axle cups as well? 
- if I want to stick with stock option and use O rings - should I put them in axle cups as well? I have new axles in front, and to be honest I dont remember having orings in original ones. In the rear however I have stock orings inside and outside, no problem with falling dogbones, also dogbones have around 1mm play left-right. Front dogbones with orings in axle cups tend to pop out quicker, but there is no play, without orings in axles its a bit better (but still no more than 5 minutes bashing) and there is a lot of movement of dogbone.. 
Halp! :)

mine does the same, what did you end up doing?

or anyone else, whats the fix?

50 minutes ago, neoquip said:

mine does the same, what did you end up doing?

or anyone else, whats the fix?

We’ve also had this problem a lot. It was worse when we were running some cheap aluminium hubs, but even stock it would throw them at the slightest bump.  It’s probably worth checking the hubs haven’t worn on their carriers, any play there will make it more likely to chuck a drive shaft.  

The most effective solution we found was to swap them out for CVDs, all good now and on the very rare occasion it gets a massive whack on a front arm it only comes out of the gearbox side, you don’t get to spend ages looking through the mud for the drive shaft 🤣 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, rk295 said:

We’ve also had this problem a lot. It was worse when we were running some cheap aluminium hubs, but even stock it would throw them at the slightest bump.  It’s probably worth checking the hubs haven’t worn on their carriers, any play there will make it more likely to chuck a drive shaft.  

The most effective solution we found was to swap them out for CVDs, all good now and on the very rare occasion it gets a massive whack on a front arm it only comes out of the gearbox side, you don’t get to spend ages looking through the mud for the drive shaft 🤣 

tnx

do you have  a link to the parts you upgraded?
anything else worth swapping?
I've looked at the wheel hub and it looks battered now 😞

• 2 months later...

Hi all. I have my Bullet MT Flux that I'm looking to sell, however I have no idea what it's worth. It has the more recent motor (HPI Flux MMH-4000kv Brushless) and ESC (HPI-112851 - HPI Flux EMH-3S Waterproof Brushless ESC). The issue with it is that the front diff seems to have gone, and I have enough projects to be getting on with.

What are they worth now? I'll pop it in the for sale section once I have a price as eBay seems to go from £100 to £300! 

Any advice would be gratefully received!