• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

HPI Trophy Truggy and Buggy Owners Club!

henzy190

Yes please dazp, so what would be the maximum size i could fit into the stock receiver atm is it 6v max i guess?

I just through if i was going to upgrade i might as well go for the best i could afford, and why do some people say use the current steering servo as a throttle one is that more powerful than the normal throttle servo?

Hey buddy. I'd say that 56mm L x 32mm W x 32mm H is your maximum battery size as is. On the lid if you cut/file down that inner ridge around the area where the battery fits then you can go to 34mm H and fit one of these:

http://www.hobbyking.co.uk/hobbyking/store/__34382__Turnigy_nano_tech_1700mAh_2S1P_20_40C_LiFePo4_Receiver_Pack_UK_Warehouse_.html

Otherwise I'm struggling a little to find a straight fit with a DECENT size capacity.

If you take out the switch and cut the inside piece between switch and batt box you could go to 74mm L but only 26mm H.

Personally I think it will be easier to go 6v servo with a 1600 ish 6v hump pack. If you go for 7.2v with lipo then you may also need to buy a BEC to limit the voltage as a full charge lipo will be 8.4v. Should be ok with life.

Yeah i agree with you i think im going to go for a 6v servo and i was looking at batteries, i found one for the baja this 

101937 - HPI Plazma 6.0V 4300mAh Nimh Baja Receiver Pack Re-Chargeable Battery

3+2 Hump Style With Tamiya Charging Plug

but would it work for the trophy 4.6 truggy do you think or too much or maybe just go for the 6v 1600 hump pack one? For the 6v 4300 do you think i would need a BEC or not really as the volts are the same.

Do i need a second filter as theres one in the tank should i just get any or any specific one?

Yeah i agree with you i think im going to go for a 6v servo and i was looking at batteries, i found one for the baja this 

101937 - HPI Plazma 6.0V 4300mAh Nimh Baja Receiver Pack Re-Chargeable Battery

3+2 Hump Style With Tamiya Charging Plug

but would it work for the trophy 4.6 truggy do you think or too much or maybe just go for the 6v 1600 hump pack one? For the 6v 4300 do you think i would need a BEC or not really as the volts are the same.

Do i need a second filter as theres one in the tank should i just get any or any specific one?

The 4300mah won't fit: Pack Dimensions: 2.6 x 1.6 x 1.8" (67 x 42 x 45mm) 

That is twice the size of the 1600mah,. Most you'll get in the trophy in a hump config is 2000mah ish. You'll get plenty running from the 1600 tho. No BEC needed at 6.0v regardless of mah value.

I haven't a clue about filters.

Right now its time to start ordering it and a servo to go with it. :D Do you know a good charger to go with the battery as im pretty sure i wouldn't get one with a battery.

I know theres a fuel filter in the tank so a filter in the line wouldn't be necessary?  Or is it always a good idea to be safe 

The 4300mah won't fit: Pack Dimensions: 2.6 x 1.6 x 1.8" (67 x 42 x 45mm) 

That is twice the size of the 1600mah,. Most you'll get in the trophy in a hump config is 2000mah ish. You'll get plenty running from the 1600 tho. No BEC needed at 6.0v regardless of mah value.

I haven't a clue about filters.

Hey buddy. I'd say that 56mm L x 32mm W x 32mm H is your maximum battery size as is. On the lid if you cut/file down that inner ridge around the area where the battery fits then you can go to 34mm H and fit one of these:

http://www.hobbyking.co.uk/hobbyking/store/__34382__Turnigy_nano_tech_1700mAh_2S1P_20_40C_LiFePo4_Receiver_Pack_UK_Warehouse_.html

Otherwise I'm struggling a little to find a straight fit with a DECENT size capacity.

If you take out the switch and cut the inside piece between switch and batt box you could go to 74mm L but only 26mm H.

Personally I think it will be easier to go 6v servo with a 1600 ish 6v hump pack. If you go for 7.2v with lipo then you may also need to buy a BEC to limit the voltage as a full charge lipo will be 8.4v. Should be ok with life.

I just bought one of those 1700mah lipos to use in different nitro cars. Because of the way lipos work this lipo will deliver more usable amps than a higher capacity 6v hump pack. A vapextech 6v AA hump pack is my preference but those dont always fit in the battery boxes unless your using a micro receiver.

I also just got a gotech high torque servo and I'll be running that off of an 6.0v esc its rated for 15kg torque but as its brushless its response time is 0.08 seconds. It will also work on lipo voltages which improves those figures.

More questions as im so new at this :lol:

I would like to get a set of wheels maybe have 1 or 2 more sets as well as the standard ones + tyres.

Iv been looking can i get any 17mm wheels or not as im not a big fan of the plastic ones that i know will fit, really i wanted metal, will savage wheels fit or not ? 

More questions as im so new at this :lol:

I would like to get a set of wheels maybe have 1 or 2 more sets as well as the standard ones + tyres.

Iv been looking can i get any 17mm wheels or not as im not a big fan of the plastic ones that i know will fit, really i wanted metal, will savage wheels fit or not ? 

Do you have the 17mm hex conversion or are you running the stock threaded axles with 5mm nuts?

The issue with the truggy is if you use a different set of rims on the standard axles/hexes chances are the axles will keep snapping. The plastic thickness around the center hole on most other rims is thinner and puts excessive force on the axles when tightening and they snap whilst running. I've tried a few sets. 

If you want to use any other wheel types then do the 17mm hex conversion and then anything will fit it. I converted after snapping 5 f+r axles. I never had a problem with the stock rims on..

The conversion is worth doing as you can then use any 17mm wheels you can find and save a fortune ie: ebay auctions and here. :)

I might actually have another conversion kit.

http://www.msuk-forum.co.uk/topic/204612-hpi-trophy-truggy-46flux-17mm-hex-conversion-set-sold-out/

Edited by dazp1976

I've got the stock 5mm threaded axel, but i don't think its worth me doing the conversation until it breaks so i was planning to do it then as theres no point doing it before it breaks in my eyes, i will be upgrading bits on the truggy as they break or aren't powerful enough or handle what i want but for now the stock axels are alright until it breaks.

So would any 17mm wheel fit the stock setup?  

I've got the stock 5mm threaded axel, but i don't think its worth me doing the conversation until it breaks so i was planning to do it then as theres no point doing it before it breaks in my eyes, i will be upgrading bits on the truggy as they break or aren't powerful enough or handle what i want but for now the stock axels are alright until it breaks.

So would any 17mm wheel fit the stock setup?  

As I said, You can't just use any wheel on it with the stock axles. You will snap them because the thickness of the plastic at the center hole is thinner than the trophy wheels. When you tighten them up it puts force on the axle because it tightens too far and then snaps while running. The only other rim I have found that works is the HPI Blast rim that comes with the Phaltline tires. I've tried at least 5 different wheel types and 4 caused the axle to snap. Never had a problem with the stock rims.

The stock rims are fine for what they are if you want a set pm me I got a set here doing nothing and I'm sure we can work something out that suits both of us .. 

As as for snapping axles I've snapped stock axles on stock rims so that theory of the stock wheels working better is in my opinion rubbish .. There's too many variables in what may cause the axle to snap to nail it down to this or that again IMO .. 

The conversion is worth doing but wait until needed parts can be had from eBay chop shops for £25 all in that's where I did mine 

Have to say I'm really enjoying my latest build so far I've beaten the snot out of her and broke nothing, mind you it's got some upgrades !! 

2EF61761-2ABC-4EE9-8581-835E5270E02E_zps

Yeah i will 100% do the upgrade just when the axle breaks as theres no point until then to upgrade it. 

Thanks mydoddy69 but iv already got stock set and would like a different set sorry mate but maybe if i break these i might pm you :-) and yeah i watch some of your videos earlier on YouTube i like some of the upgrades + gave me some ideas but its looking good keep up the good work.

So weather it will aventually break or not can any 17mm wheels fit on stock axels or not as my missus wants to buy me some for Christmas and i don't want her to get the wrong ones lol.

Yeah i will 100% do the upgrade just when the axle breaks as theres no point until then to upgrade it. 

Thanks mydoddy69 but iv already got stock set and would like a different set sorry mate but maybe if i break these i might pm you :-) and yeah i watch some of your videos earlier on YouTube i like some of the upgrades + gave me some ideas but its looking good keep up the good work.

So weather it will aventually break or not can any 17mm wheels fit on stock axels or not as my missus wants to buy me some for Christmas and i don't want her to get the wrong ones lol.

You could just change the tires on the stock rims when yours have worn out. Most 3.8 tires that haven't got a traxxas style bead will fit.

Heya Mydoddy. what oil weight and springs you running on your shocks buddy? Want to get my hpi ones setup similar as I can't get them right at all :( just keeps lifting the front and won't turn. Tried all the way from 100k to 1k in the center with no difference so ergo my shocks must be crap :D

Yeah I will change the tyres when they wear out but i would like a set of 4 wheels spare with tyres and inserts on ready to go and then i won't have to wait for new tyres and i like having more than one set of wheels really that's why I've looking pretty much all day today without getting anywhere really :crying:

You could just change the tires on the stock rims when yours have worn out. Most 3.8 tires that haven't got a traxxas style bead will fit.

Heya Mydoddy. what oil weight and springs you running on your shocks buddy? Want to get my hpi ones setup similar as I can't get them right at all :( just keeps lifting the front and won't turn. Tried all the way from 100k to 1k in the center with no difference so ergo my shocks must be crap :D

I don't use HPI shocks on this one sorry fella so I can't help you on that one .. I used to run the pulse shocks on my old rig  and used hellfire springs yellow on the rear white on the front and a home brew mix of oil in both ..

On this one I'm trying out some different shocks but not sure on them at the minute 

Wheels and tires upto 3.8's with a 17 mm hex is what your looking for and a nice half inch offset badlands are great for the winter say over the park but don't last long on Tarmac .. Road rage are okay for Tarmac but have a look a Louise tires on asiatees they where doing them cheap a while back .. 

O.K. Cheers mr Doddy. Just thought I might be able to get then close as poss to the Hobao shocks you've got on yours but if you're not sure about big bores on these either then maybe the double stock shock setup may be the way to go after all. I just think that a 3mm shock shaft is way to weak for a 1/8th. I remember tho a while back Deafty saying something about the Losi LST shocks on these but a shock repair kit is cheap enough for these.

I was debating on switching brand for a complete change but the big issue..... Parts availability and price pretty much sucks in the u.k.

Also, @SlayerLayer. This was my finding in the first few months with my axles stock

I ran 5 packs thru the Flux on stock wheels with no issues

I put some MT4-G3 wheels on and snapped a rear axle in 3 mins, replaced it then a front went in 2.

Took em off and ran stock for 8 packs no issues.

Put on some hot bodies 3.8 and snapped both backs in 5 mins.

Back to stock for 3 packs no issues.

Put on HPI Blast with Phaltlines for 6 packs no issues (tyers wear rapid, compound hard, no grip, just spin. Hated them)

Put on Desperados with Shockwaves, snapped a front while tightning-replaced then a front and rear went in 2 mins

Watched Mr MyDoddy on you tube and did the hex conversion and run all these wheels all the time (apart from the phaltlines) with no issues at all apart from bending shock shafts all the time :D

Now I can just buy any bargain that comes up and know it will just work 

If/when you decide to do the conversion then I could maybe sell you my set from mine if that helps and I'll run the new set. Mine has been in it's box for a little while as I don't run when wet. All will be photo'd accordingly and would be around £25 as MyDoddy suggested or £30 with used fronts and new rear shafts + axles.

Happy bashing buddy :)

Edited by dazp1976

A few photos of my lovely dirty car after some bashing in the fields today :D 

http://i1040.photobucket.com/albums/b410/SlayerLayer1/Mobile Uploads/20151115_150014_zpsgzglna9a.jpg

Where could i get some mudguards and maybe like a dust cover to go under the shell? 

I will upload a video later as well but it was film by a 9 year old but its not bad for my first time :D 

Could someone tell please what all the bits for a new clutch please links would be very helpful as the links on the first page of the forum don't work anymore.

As i think my clutch is gone and I've gone through about 4 litters of fuel when a lot people said it would go after around 10 tanks i think its done well.

As its reving quite high when i accelerate but not moving as much as it used to so that has to be the clutch right?

Please help the very new guy to this :D

22 hours ago, SlayerLayer said:

Could someone tell please what all the bits for a new clutch please links would be very helpful as the links on the first page of the forum don't work anymore.

As i think my clutch is gone and I've gone through about 4 litters of fuel when a lot people said it would go after around 10 tanks i think its done well.

As its reving quite high when i accelerate but not moving as much as it used to so that has to be the clutch right?

Please help the very new guy to this :D

These will be a straight fit If you want to upgrade to 3 piece set.

Flywheel:   https://www.hpiracing.com/en/part/67525

Standard shoes:  https://www.hpiracing.com/en/part/101199

Springs:   https://www.hpiracing.com/en/part/101201

OR

Use the Alloy shoes:   https://www.hpiracing.com/en/part/101778

You in the u.k.? I still have this set:

http://www.msuk-forum.co.uk/forums/topic/209687-d8trophy-flywheelshoes/

Edited by dazp1976