• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

HPI Trophy Truggy and Buggy Owners Club!

henzy190

Hi there everyone new here can anyone give any advice on what shox are good to put on the trophy truggy 4.6 I don't race at the track but me and my friend do like to race each other round the field and do a few jump thanks in advance 

2 hours ago, everclear1984 said:

Here are a couple of videos from the last couple of days. I trimmed the mini spikes and it's now cornering much better :)

https://youtu.be/gXDsvIuXKJE

https://youtu.be/drCGVN39HWk

How much did you speed the first one up by when editing 

I just watched it again and by the time I start hitting the jumps it seems normal speed. Wierd. I'll go back and watch the original recording and see how it compares.

Edit: The original video is exactly the same. I'm really annoyed, I use my phone to make videos a lot, if it's going to start speeding things up of it's own accord then the camera is basically useless to me.

Edited by everclear1984

2 hours ago, Troy said:

Hi there everyone new here can anyone give any advice on what shox are good to put on the trophy truggy 4.6 I don't race at the track but me and my friend do like to race each other round the field and do a few jump thanks in advance 

Double them up ie: 2 on each corner if it's too soft for you. Big bore type shocks are a waste of time on this, tried and tested from about page 400 onwards. Mydoddy69 is trying some different ones out at the mo. So far there has been little success.

13 hours ago, everclear1984 said:

I just watched it again and by the time I start hitting the jumps it seems normal speed. Wierd. I'll go back and watch the original recording and see how it compares.

Edit: The original video is exactly the same. I'm really annoyed, I use my phone to make videos a lot, if it's going to start speeding things up of it's own accord then the camera is basically useless to me.

It may just be your settings ? Did look super quick tho :) .. You got to love a buggy 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Troy said:

Best shocks I ever found was the pulse shocks fella just the rears and use them on both front and rear. Ditch the springs tho and get some hellfire springs you want red, yellow and white then have a play around with oils and Pistons .. Currently I'm supporting some hyper MT shocks there okay but I can't find a suitable Spring setup at the minute :( 

37 minutes ago, mydoddy69 said:

I just use stainless not ever had a problem yet 

36 minutes ago, everclear1984 said:

Ideal, cheers.

Either way, doesn't make a huge difference really, stainless a little softer but don't rust. I use tensile underneath mine because I always wreck stainless heads but I do take mine apart a lot for something to do with c**p hex keys which don't help :D 

I was enjoying a bash at one of my favourite spots today, the grass has been too long there all winter but it must have been cut recently because it was perfect today. Unfortunately running came to a stop when my pinion decided it had had enough. Kinda worked out for the best really, I thought I was running an 18t pinion and was about to order a 20t as temps were nice and cool, turns out it's only a 15t! 17t replacement ordered :)

20160210_185237-1_zpsuxsg237g.jpg

Edited by everclear1984

Managed to get out for an hour with the truggy today and kept getting an intermittent problem, it kept slowing down to half ish power for a few seconds then picking back up. It's not the batteries and it wasn't overheating because it started happening virtually straight away, any thoughts because I'm stumped.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Sully said:

Managed to get out for an hour with the truggy today and kept getting an intermittent problem, it kept slowing down to half ish power for a few seconds then picking back up. It's not the batteries and it wasn't overheating because it started happening virtually straight away, any thoughts because I'm stumped.

Could be a bad connection, bad servo , dry solder joint, esc needs recalibration, or lvc setting, perhaps there's a break in the signal wire, bad cell in your lipos the list of possibles is endless?

what have you checked so far ? 

Like mr doddy said, could be anything. I'd go thru all my solder joints, re calibrate, reset everything then set it back up again, signal wire from esc to rx could be fractured. If these are all good then could be esc protection of some sort tripping. Endless list I'm afraid :( 

Well. Managed to get my engine with roto onto D812, pain! bit of dremmel & file work going on. Would not fit that damn mount, not designed to be able to fit anything other than a blanking backplate to the back of the engine. Stoopid!.

Anywhoo. Dropped a F4.6v2 in it from a Trophy for now fitted with roto :) so I can stick around here on a technicality while my Trophies are sleeping :D hopefully the engine bloody works now.

On another note I'd definitely scrap the idea of big bores on the Trophy Flux. Now that I have a relatively light buggy I can see the difference. I can roll 35w oil med springs and drop it from 2ft without slap and it sits there happily with hardly any spring adjustment on in fact I could do with going sprung softer. On the Trophy Flux with the same shocks 60w oil - hardest spring poss at full adjustment it slapped hard at less than 1ft and just about sat at the correct ride height so ergo waste of space & £££.

The best & cheapest option imo is to double up all round. Will make it a bit stiffer and you should be able to use less than 50w oil which will also help prevent bending shafts :thumbsup:

Edited by dazp1976

13 hours ago, Sully said:

Yea I think I'll just go over it bit by bit and eliminate as I go, I've got a new combo to go in it but not had time to fit yet.

I'd put the new esc in and see what happens that way you can see if the esc is at fault or defo something else. 

• Like 1

Well I tried the buggy today. That 4.6 engine was a pig to start! Gave up with the useless glow stick and used my flight box for the heli instead grrrr, glow stick must be totally dead. 

So I've got a new 3300 nimh + charger for the roto - and on it's way are a new 3000 glow stick and a rx 1600 hump + charger that I can't afford :D Unsure if a 1A charge rate is good for the hump but they do come as a package.

Goes pretty quick, the 3 shoe clutch setup makes a massive difference don't it :) I might get some 1mm springs soon so the engine can spool up a little more before it engages but it's definitely the upgrade to make.

The only thing is the noise from the Savox is really annoying. Still unsure whether a nitro is for me yet so we'll see.