• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Android themes / skins ?

cybermenace

It's all on the Marketplace bud :good:

just search for live wallpapers or themes under free apps. if it's a total homescreen replacement you're looking for try ADW launcher or Launcher pro.

No performance hit that i noticed Nick, both ran sweet on my old 1.6 loving G1 and James this place has everything Android related you may need.

Oh and everyone using Android NEEDS Appbrain just download the app then head to the site and you can browse apps and send them to your phone OTA, makes the whole experience much easier.

Not sent from my HTC Desire but i am sitting here looking at it ;)

i did indeed Indie, it was a bit of a scary place to start with, what with those guys knowing everything and me knowing nowt :lol:

Oh, get camera 360. it's brilliant

C360_2010-09-0516-38-30.jpg

see?

If you need to know anything ROM/root related, i will do my best to answer.

I found the guys at XDA to be really helpful but sometimes can be quite hard to understand, basically some folk need it in non-nerd language :lol:

I don't bother with themes, icons and stuff. Only thing different from stock (well appearance wise) is a carbon theme (well ok, i do have a theme but all it does is make the sense UI carbon effect) and the 3d battery symbol mod. All the other mods on mine are root/system related.

Oh yes, i was a happy boy when they managed to get s-off :lol::D

I don't usually bother with themes and stuff but the pantheon loader on my Samsung was absolutely terrible. A lot better now I've switched to the launcherpro one.

What mods have you got that are specifically available to rooted phones? I know you can turn the CPU down to save some battery, but atm it's not really a massive problem for me. Trying to decide if it will be worth it.

I don't usually bother with themes and stuff but the pantheon loader on my Samsung was absolutely terrible. A lot better now I've switched to the launcherpro one.

What mods have you got that are specifically available to rooted phones? I know you can turn the CPU down to save some battery, but atm it's not really a massive problem for me. Trying to decide if it will be worth it.

Well you have got things like setCPU (underclock/overclock and you can set profiles etc), i'm running the IME mod keyboard (slightly bigger keys than the Sense keyboard), then there are just silly things like the 3d battery mod, themes, icons. I can remove all the rubbish system apps, mess around with the framework.

I just do a nandroid backup and then experiment with the roms and try different stuff. Most of the time it will fail to boot and will be stuck on the bootloop (constantly rebooting itself before finishing the boot up process) so i will just tweak it a bit and try again.

There are certain apps that are only available on rooted phones, also you can use 'Market Enabler' which allows you access the market in different countries. For example if you live in greece, you can't access ANY paid apps. So you use market enabler that makes your phone or whatever think it is somewhere else and grants you access to the full market.

• 4 months later...

edit: Im guessing a HTC, NVM.

Samsung actually :P Galaxy spica.

I'm totally lost here !

I have an HTC desire, totally standard. What can I do with it and how (with regards to themes icons ect )

Have a read of here, specifically the themes forum ;)

Make your own :)

There are plenty of tutorials on how to make themes, fairly simple aswell but you will need a rooted phone. Just make a nandroid backup incase it doesn't work or you'll have a phone with no GUI :lol:

Rooted phone ? I'll look into .. I take it its like jailbreaking my iPhone ?

To Google for tutorials on how to root my phone (no laughing ) and make themes

EVERYTHING you need on rooting/ROMs etc is in this thread here.

Seriously, don't start messing around with scripts, S-Off etc until you are familiar with your phone and the SDK. Scripts aren't dangerous really but will 'screw up' your phone (to a point where it runs very badly) but is easily recoverable by over writing the script. S-Off'ing is a different matter, you CAN brick your phone extremely easily and it isn't recoverable at all (ie - deleting the hboot/bootloader off the NAND partiton and being left with no bootloader...in laymans terms, you can't boot your phone!)

Rooting is much easier now that it was when i did mine, i believe you can do it in a couple of clicks of the mouse now.

EVERYTHING you need on rooting/ROMs etc is in this thread here.

Seriously, don't start messing around with scripts, S-Off etc until you are familiar with your phone and the SDK. Scripts aren't dangerous really but will 'screw up' your phone (to a point where it runs very badly) but is easily recoverable by over writing the script. S-Off'ing is a different matter, you CAN brick your phone extremely easily and it isn't recoverable at all (ie - deleting the hboot/bootloader off the NAND partiton and being left with no bootloader...in laymans terms, you can't boot your phone!)

Rooting is much easier now that it was when i did mine, i believe you can do it in a couple of clicks of the mouse now.

Thanks for the link :)

Totally bricking myself about doing the root thing but can't be any harder than jail breaking my iPhone ....

If you don't mind another Noob question what software that's free is good to use to make a theme as I don't want to spend much to find out I can't do it (im slightly computer illiterate :L)