• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

GCM DB savage flux build

dirtyhabitz

Roll cage from mainst is ideal. Obviously a metal one is just stupid.

I notices mainst did sell brackets quite cheaply, but not sure any more.

If you can make one yourself, go for it. I am considering it too... If the nylon is that cheap, could you link me to it please, maybe we can both give it a go... Only brackets would be a problem, but there is always away around it.

As you have found out, any body we buy will not last long, 20 runs or so at most, so roll cages in the long term seem like the most ideal investment, also offering great air flow etc... .but i like a decent body too in order to stop as much debris getting into my drivetrain etc......

If you can make one yourself, go for it. I am considering it too... If the nylon is that cheap, could you link me to it please, maybe we can both give it a go... Only brackets would be a problem, but there is always away around it.

As you have found out, any body we buy will not last long, 20 runs or so at most, so roll cages in the long term seem like the most ideal investment, also offering great air flow etc... .but i like a decent body too in order to stop as much debris getting into my drivetrain etc......

maybe you can make a roll cage and wrap it with the same materiel outwears use to make there covers, that way you will get best of both worlds.

true, but i like he look of my savage with a body on... Thing is i do not want to jump my db-17 too much anymore as it will be built for speed runs more so. I would probably make one for my stock xl build..... But if the nylon is really that cheap, and only requires a heat gun to heat up and bend, then i may give it a go...

try make them in cad and have them cnc machined

I have thought of that but I think the cost would be to much...

But I have an idea brewing bracket-wise.

I have a plan on how to make a cage template and the Nylon rod is easily manlleable with a little heat,so all that should be fairly straight forward.

The MainST bracket at first seems perfect but,it's angle is fixed so I think there's room for improvment there.

Something like this maybe? I think this design could give us much more flexibility with the angle the cage is mounted to the TVP..

15-08-2010160510.jpg

I don't know what material the pipe will be yet,but the Nylon rod needs to be a nice snug fit inside it.

Any suggestions on what kind of pipe? I was thinking some kind of conduit with a 1mm wall thikness maybe?

What do you guys think? Any input would be much appreciated :good:

There is no reason why it couldnt be positioned that way. Im sure you could find something in your local DIY store whch you could fab a bit to make it work??? im going to keep my eyes peeled... also depends on what thickness the nylon bar is...

Heres a couple of links for the Nylon rod..

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/3-off-NATURAL-NYLON-66-ROUND-BARS-RODS-12mm-x-330mm-/390204481667?pt=UK_BOI_Metalworking_Milling_Welding_Metalworking_Supplies_ET

http://www.directplasticsonline.co.uk/Nylon_66_Rod.html

This Nylon 66 sounds like the one we need(?) and if it comes in white it can aways be wrapped in black electrical tape before final fitting.

I've got an idea for making a template using,wait for it...pipe cleaners!

They would make finding the right shape for the cage easy I think.

We can even see if it's possible to make a cage that allows a lexan shell to be used Josh.

So what do you all think?

There is no reason why it couldnt be positioned that way. Im sure you could find something in your local DIY store whch you could fab a bit to make it work??? im going to keep my eyes peeled... also depends on what thickness the nylon bar is...

MainST use 12mm rod

how would you use pipe cleaners as a template? i cant picture it?

12mm sounds good... but mainst told me the white nylon was more brittle compared to the black nylon for some reason... So ill go with black just in case...

If all goes well i would like to design the nylon rod in a way that protects my battery boxes, and prevents the a arms from flexing too much when cart wheeling. There must be a wayhappy.gif I bend way too many drive shafts, and its starting to hurt my wallet...

12mm sounds good... but mainst told me the white nylon was more brittle compared to the black nylon for some reason... So ill go with black just in case...

If all goes well i would like to design the nylon rod in a way that protects my battery boxes, and prevents the a arms from flexing too much when cart wheeling. There must be a wayhappy.gif I bend way too many drive shafts, and its starting to hurt my wallet...

pipe cleaners are a great idea or just a simple metal rod would do the same

josh i think he means to make a mock up of it out of pipe cleaner to get the right shape

yea i get that... im sure it would be hard to get each rod perfectly symmetrical without a template. I guess it helps when making proto types. Gd idea.

i may give this a go sooner rather than later....

I was looking at the 10mm rod to save some weight as i may use quite a bit and go for a complicated design if i am making one.

This is so cheap 10x3000mm!!!! its very cheap 10x3000mm rod

LOL send them to me and I'll straighten them for you. I put mine in the vice and put them right,not had to but one yet :good:

My plan with the pipe cleaners is simple,twist some 12inch pipe cleaners together so you have a long enough length.

Then anchor one end to the TVP (gaffa tape or elastic bands etc) and then bend away and see what shape you end up with.

And you can do that over and over until you get a shape that works. You now have a template to work to when your heating and bending your Nylon rod.

Does that make any sense?

I know what I mean lol :D

pipe cleaners are a great idea or just a simple metal rod would do the same

josh i think he means to make a mock up of it out of pipe cleaner to get the right shape

Exactly! Why didn't I put it like that? lol.

Metal rod would also work,something like welding rod would be great.

I was thinking pipe cleaners as they are really cheap and plentifull.

yea i get that... im sure it would be hard to get each rod perfectly symmetrical without a template. I guess it helps when making proto types. Gd idea.

i may give this a go sooner rather than later....

I was looking at the 10mm rod to save some weight as i may use quite a bit and go for a complicated design if i am making one.

This is so cheap 10x3000mm!!!! its very cheap 10x3000mm rod

That is cheap!

I think we just might pull this off ya know! :D

Yes that would work, but how would you attach it to the TVPs?

Like in the drawing I posted earlier. Nylon rod tight inside a 25mm long section of the steel pipe and then two bolts (one above the other,10mm apart) right thru the lot inc the TVPs.

The steel pipe would act as support and allow us to tighten down the nuts without crushing the Nylon rod inside.

It should also be a snap to spin the nuts off and pop the cage off the bolts for servicing.

I think this could work but I'll need to make a mock up with the pipe cleaners,or something like them,so I can see about positioning the mounts on the TVPs.

Aren't you supposed to be on holiday? lol :whistling:

whoops my mistake... i completely understand what you are getting at. I can see that working very well.

Sorry, i was skimming over your threads and pictures... see i am on holidayblush.gif

Still need to keep up to date with my work emails and while im at it i will spend a bit of time reading the threads that interest mewink.gif

I think i will order the 10mm nylon when i get back , and order some 10mm steel pipe.

I will keep you posted on my progress... i need to get a decent heat gun i think... a hair dryer wont work will it tongue.gif

why not use this: http://www.metals4u....=56&prd_id=2321

and this : http://www.metals4u....d=58&prd_id=443

could do an exact version of the roll cages the guy makes... for a much much lower price... i'm now considering doing one for my hyper... making it into a desert buggy... would really help give it good airflow...

could even do it short course style josh... with nerf bars to take side impacts and help protect the arms...

Edited by Bazzokajoe

I know it sounds silly but the hair dryer might work Josh.

We don't need a too "savage" (lol) heat or we might melt

thru the nylon. So the hair dryer is worth a shot IMO.

If not maybe a decorating heat gun?

And Joe,thanks for the links,we have already looked at that

supplier and will probably use them.

With all of us putting our heads together I'm sure we can

make a cage that's better than the MainST ones!