• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

After use? And cleaning car?

eddywatson

Hey guys

I have a few questions about your car after use and cleaning it. I have a hyper 7 .28....

1. after ive used my car it will have dust everywhere, SO i just use a piece of cloth/rag to wipe it over and try to get as much off as i can from everywhere possible. For small areas il use cotton buds. I am not at the stage where i can take my car apart and put it back together (as im a RC n00b). But is there any other way of cleaning your car? I mean theres dust in places i cant get... will that cause a problem? After every use should i clean the car so its spick and span?

2. I have some engine after oil. But as ive switched to roto start... that means i dont have a pull start anymore... so once i put some drop of oil into the top of the engine (sorry for the lack of RC knowledge lol) I would normally give the pull cord a few tugs to allow the oil to settle in. Do i just spin the roto start afew time? I managed to use a screw drive that fit in the hole nicely and turned it afew times and the piston came up and down slowly and the oil disappeared is that okay and fine to do?

3. I use a roto start with a 800 Nimh 7.2Volt battery. I charged the battery for 2hrs like the manual said. But ive only used the starter for about 1 minute in total today. Now will i need to recharge the battery? I plan on using the car next weekend... so will the battery be okay for a week and still have alot of charge left in it? or will it need charging up again?

Thats all for now gusy im sure il remember some more things and ask them too lol

I hope somebody can help

Thank you

Edited by eddywatson

cleaning there are many methords of doing it, everyone has a preferance, some take out the engine and shower there car others just dust it over, most of the time i leave mine in muck and just break off the big bits, then every month or so break it down and strip it :)

As for after run oil id do as you say :)

Hope its ok :)

Kieran

I'm still new to this hobby but love taking my car to bits, it's a big part of the fun! - just remember what you took off from where and put it back in the same order / place (with threalock if metal on metal).

Start with simple thing like taking the wheels off, then build up to more complicated parts like removing the electrics, then the suspension, then engine, then the diffs... I've even stripped & rebuilt my engine!

Get stuck in, you'll love it!

PS -once clean I cover all my parts with a light coat of WD40 which stops stuff clinging making it easrt to clean next time (keep it off brakes etc.. thoug!)

I can honestly say taking it apart & modifying / fixing it is as much fun as running it!

For getting in to hard to reach places and even the general places get yourself some brushes.

A simple hand brush (soft) you use with a dustpan is ideal for a quick brush over.

Then a 2 0 3 inch paint brush is ideal for getting in to a lot of other places, like around the fuel tank etc, don't be afraid of anything with these as you can brush as hard as you like but they clean up so much dust and even moist dirt.

As to the after run oil, my way is to simply put a few drops in and then use the fly wheel underneath to just turn the engine over a couple of times at most, the engine will probably be cold with no fuel in it so i would not go turing it over more than you have to. Also make sure that the piston is BDC (bottom dead centre), you will feel when the fly wheel is tight when the piston is at the top (TDC) so just spin it around about half a turn to make sure its nice and loose.

People usually recomend you use the AFO when your leaving the engine a while, but it wont do any harm to use it more often.

You will get used to taking some parts out, as said just take the wheels off to start with, use the brush under a tap to wash them up. You will progress on to other parts when required, they don't all have to come out everytime. Oh and a damp brush is also a good thing after you have cleaned the initial dirt away to get any ground in dirt. Your cover again just use that big soft hand brush under a tap, it cleans up real quick and easy.

These are my ways.

Langy

use a larger paintbrush (one for painting a window size) to clean of dust easer

Most of the time after bashing I'll give it a quick wipe down, spray all the crap off the engine and around the glow plug with nitro cleaner, then ARO the engine and leave it.

I don't strip it down often, but about 2-3 days after a bash I will give it a good clean with a tooth brush, and oil what's necessary.

You can remove the electronics and put it in the shower/jetwash/hose it down and scrub with a toothbrush to clean it too. Helps if you spray on a load of all purpose cleaner to loosen up the dirt first :good:

After every race when I get home I coat my car in wd40 (then go to sleep :lol: )

Then the next day I will spray it down with my compressor to get the worst of the crud off, then I will give the car an entire strip, lob all the plastic bits in hot soapy water and everything else I clean with wd40 and a rag.

every 2-3 races I strip the diffs and shocks and re-oil them.