• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Nanda Swift Rebuild (aka Unknown model?)

dexterslab

hi everyone, just picked up a... hmm, 'cheap project' from an autojumble, it's a 1:8 buggy and needs some TLC but should be a cheap hack to go with my existing HPI trophy blush.gif

But i need to know make and model so i can order up some spares, it looks to me like a HPI or HB kit but can't find anything that i can identify. The engine doesn't look original and there's no shell...

can anyone tell me what this is? helpsmilie.gif

nitro_rc_01.jpg

nitro_rc_03.jpg

nitro_rc_04.jpg

nitro_rc_05.jpg

nitro_rc_06.jpg

Edited by dexterslab

defo not a kyosho inferno as don't use lay down steering servo set up and don't use threaded body shocks its a HBX VRX-2

Edited by R46

thanks guys, images can hide many sins!

i'm surprised by kyosho, there seem to be a lot of almost identical components to my HPI Trophy. Had a quick google round and cant find any pics of infernos with the same front hubs, which to me seem unusual as they are two knuckles rarther than kingpins. Any idea of it's vintage?

front shocks need remounting, there's a broken wishbone mount on the back of the front gearbox, so i'll at least need a new one of those with a new pin. I'm sure there's a couple of bearings need replacing and there's a rear UJ that has a lot of play in the inboard end cup.

on the plus side there's a hitec ultra torque servo in it and all the shocks seem to be in good condition.

I'm going to pull everything off the chassis over the next few days and clean/check everything including the engine which although needs the old oil cleaning out it seems to show promising signs of life.

i probably paid too much for it, but i dont mind... i like projectstongue.gif

I go with R46's suggestion. VRX2 ..carbon fibre bits would mark it as a Pro version as well. Heres a link:

http://www.thegoodiesmartrc.co.uk/hbx-vrx-2-pro---fully-built-18th-scale-pro-nitro-rc-buggy-6589-p.asp

There are a few places doing spares for them too, so you should have no problems getting the bits you need. Not a bad car by all accounts.

ahh, ok thanks for that, had a look comparing some pics and i think your right. The front wishbones are different between mine and the HBX but the same as the Swift.

is that the same as the schumacher swift?

its certanly a nanda swift 1 mate there called schumachers but there just sold buy them and made by nanda.

the swift 2 has all purple bits on it

my car is a nanda bd8 which is basiclly a carbon copy of the swift everything is basiclly the same

thanks grovehead

stripped the front and rear assemblies from the chassis, looks like the rear diff is toastsad.gif

so looks like i'll need: rear driveshafts, rear diff, front lower suspention mount & pin and some kind of body & wing

there's no diff listed in the spare parts on the schumacher website, i dont suppose you know anywhere that sells spares?

are there diffs from [insert name of generic chinese model maker] that might fit?

thanks grovehead

stripped the front and rear assemblies from the chassis, looks like the rear diff is toastsad.gif

so looks like i'll need: rear driveshafts, rear diff, front lower suspention mount & pin and some kind of body & wing

there's no diff listed in the spare parts on the schumacher website, i dont suppose you know anywhere that sells spares?

are there diffs from [insert name of generic chinese model maker] that might fit?

pm me a picture of the diff and the messurement between the screw hols and ill check mine in the nanda and see if they are the same or not

just had another thought... for the cheapo option

transplant the good diff and shafts from the front to the rear, lockup the centre diff and make it 2wd good.gif TBH i always wanted to have a play around with a 2WD nitro buggy

i can rebuild the diff or get a new one along with the driveshafts in the future _maybe_

schu do have the internals to rebuild the diff so thats an option too

in total: body, wing, rear diff & outdrives, rear driveshafts, front lower suspention mount & pins, front top shock mount & throttle linkage

have ordered the bits to fix the front damage from schu's website (suspention mount, pins), i'm off to the local model shop shortly to get something to replace the front shock mounts which i'll just muddle something together along with the throttle linkage

it's really just the rear diff/outdrives and rear driveshafts if i want to keep it 4wd

2wd is very tempting, just need to araldite up the center diff and transplant the good drive gear from the front to the rear