• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Fire storm, Amax leopard.

Newbie1

My firestorm 10t, starts up fine but the wheels spin, i have adusted the throttle trim to as low as it goes but the still spin and the engine sounds like im holding the throttle down half way, also a fair bit of smoke is coming out the exausht and alot of orangey stufff. the car just didn't seem at all its selff and the engine is making a slighly diffrent noise and is a bit stuttery. but that may be because i haven't used it in a while. Any ideas why ? thankyou.

And my brothers amax leopard starts okay (adjusted the idle screw) but the is alot of smoke coming out the exausht. And t0he engine does not sound to good. Any help with either would be much apreciated.

The orangey stuff could be rust from water in the engine that built up when it was stored (did you use after run oil when you stored it)

It could be worth while stripping the engine down to check if there is anything nasty inside, rust,gunge ect, also to give it a good clean wouldn't be a bad idea anyway if it has been stood

when rebuilt check engine for air leaks, then try starting from stock needle settings and tuning from there,

hope this helps mate let us know how you get on and what you find :D

The orangey stuff could be rust from water in the engine that built up when it was stored (did you use after run oil when you stored it)

It could be worth while stripping the engine down to check if there is anything nasty inside, rust,gunge ect, also to give it a good clean wouldn't be a bad idea anyway if it has been stood

when rebuilt check engine for air leaks, then try starting from stock needle settings and tuning from there,

hope this helps mate let us know how you get on and what you find :D

I did put the after oil in. And the exausht has spat out the orangy stuff before, its thick maybe the nitro? or something. But the main problem is the wheels turning. but thankyou anyway.

Edited by Newbie1

The orange stuff could well be fuel residue, and it might need a strip to clean it.

From the sound of it, you are going to have to take the motor out anyway. Assuming it ran alright when you put it away, and hte engine is not revving too high at tickover, the clutch may well be the problem. If the shoes are jammed up or the prings/pivots are corroded the clutch may be staying engaged. Normally, at low revs, the springs pull the clutch choes away from the clutch bell. If they are stuck on, the wheels will turn whatever you do.

The other option is muck in the carb. Again, a strip and clean is in order, as the gunge may have started in the tank and gone all through the motor.

Whichever, I would suggest you remove the engine from the car. Take off the clutch bell and check inside. Give it a good clean. Next, take of the carb and give that a thorough clean. Lastly, take off the pullstart and backplate and flush out all the muck and rubbish. Wash it out with a bit of fresh nitro fuel as you don;t want to introduce anything in there that shouldn't be there! Once you have it all clean, re-assemble. Tip any sludge out of hte pipe too.

Lastly...buy some new fuel. If your nitro fuel has not been correctly stored, there is a good chance moisture contamination might be an issue. It doesn't have a long shelf life once opened. You old fuel will be good for cleaning :)

+1 on what Nitroholic has said, the sludge could well be old oil from the fuel and if the pipe is clogged at all it can cause all sorts of running problems, best of luck with the stripping and rebuilding hope you get it sorted soon mate :good:

Hello again, well i took off the engine and put it back together, and it starts, but it seems to start at full pelt and cut off as soon as i apply the breaks, is this because i have put the engine back on wrong? i tried to put it on once but i put the throttle thing on wrong... and im wondering if i still haven't got it on rightt :( It just starts then revs stright away into full throttle with out the throttle moving? any ideas how to fix it? As i'm pretty sure its not the remote. Thankyou again.

have you move the servo arm round on the splines when refitting the linkage , sounds like you havnt maybe put linkage back on right and its sitting at good bit of throttle on

• 3 months later...

The firestrom work most of them time like a dream but i keep having to adjust the idle screw and the high speed needle when the wheels spin also sometimes when i have it on full throttle it cuts out or the engine stays on full throttle even when i've let go. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks for all the help before aswell.