• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Custom 9s HayMonster XXL Savage FLUX Build

Josh1A1H

I'm around. I'm also free today and tomorrow if I can get a lift (which I'm sure I can).

I'm working today and tomorrow but def sat or sun.

I need to install my modded steering assembly, my new servo horn. I hope it has arrived!!!

I desperatly need a new axle but I have none and no time to get one for this weekend. So I'll be running with 1 xl axle on the rear haha.

hide i will def be up for checking that bmx track at some point but not tomorrow. I dont want to be out for too long as the world cup is on! so im going to try and get to grovelands for between 12-1 and want to be back home by 3 to watch argentina play.

i hope you can still make it but i understand if you cant and hope your Grandpa feels better.

possibly but i may be quite busy... will let you kknow!!! take it easy...

Just doing some steering adjustments on my truck so its ready for tomorrow...

Also one tyre keeps on coming unglued!!! so frustrating. looks like i need to get some new tyres again

nice1 joe! i just ordered one of these..

. thumb_300_0_L2hvbWUvaHR0cGQvdmhvc3RzL3F1aWNrdWsuZXUvaHR0cGRvY3MvZ2Z4L3VzZXJpbWcvaXByb2Ntc19wcm9kdWN0LmZpbGVuYW1lLjE4Ni5qcGVn.jpg

If i use this then i can move my servo back within the tvps and use my original linkage.

The length of it hpefully means that it will not hit my motor mount as i am limited by throw space of the arm.

Also i found shorter arms are much stronger and less prone to bending (which was a problem i was experiencing)

Looks like the only problem will be finding a screw that is appropriate as those holes look very very small!!!

Thanks!

Edited by Josh1A1H

i thought i would try one of these too... I have been seriously having so many problems with servo arms braking on me.

Somoething like this could be a little stronger and add extra support to any flex that may occur, even if i drill a hole out larger to accomodate a larger screw.

thumb_800_600_Li4vZ2Z4L3VzZXJpbWcvaXByb2Ntc19wcm9kdWN0LmZpbGVuYW1lLjE4Ny5qcGVn.jpg

No Joke Joe... i cant stress enough the problems i have encountered with steering... These new arms look promising to fixing my problems... Thanks for the link!!!!!!!!!

I will eventually need the GoldenHorizons steering assembly but i just dont have

A few things just to liven this post up a bit...

Here is my temporary steering assembly. I made it out of combining a GPM Steering assembly and the stock servo saver. I will be using this till i have funds to get the GH Assembly...

DSC00411.jpg

DSC00413.jpg

My new tyres just for jumping purposes... My smaller wheels do not have the weight to give me good control over the length of the truck in the air... I originally ordered Joes but these MOABS came by accident. I dont really care now and i think the moabs have a thicker side wall for soaking up heavy landings correct?

DSC00424.jpg

DSC00425.jpg

After a bash on the weekend and after a bad crash (will get the vid up later)

I shredded my pinion if you can see it in the pic below...

DSC00426.jpg

And i am not entirely sure, but my rear shock tower shouldnt be bent this far forward correct?

DSC00427.jpg

Is it time for a new one?

Anyway just bought a few things... Want to keep all this up to date. I also need to think out loud and work out what else i need to get...

Purchased today...

- 2x 47t HPI Plastic Spurs ( i thought i would give these ago before the centre diff upgrade. Im tired of changing pinions and would prefer to change spurs.

- Gorilla Tape - hopefully this works better at strapping my tyres

- 40 series Moabs - only for jumping

- Axial over size in black - only for jumping

- Extra 29t idler tranny gear - i feel that i have been lucky as no gears have broken in the last 7 runs :) apart from my pinion

- Extra 32t drive tranny gear

- Extra wheel nuts

Things to order. Starting with the most vital:

- SHD Drive shafts

- SHD wheel Axles

- SHD Diff Axles

- Ofna spider centre diff 46t

- RCM Universal CD/Motor Mount

- 12t pinion

- Custom centre drive shafts

- Custom Plate For RCM Mount to bolt too.

- 80k CD diff fluid

- GH Steering assembly

- Racers Edge alloy servo horn

- Full BOCA Bearing Upgrade (not sure which ones) but im not going to skimp on quality here. my bearings are failing pretty quickly

ICE HV 160 ESC (MMMXL)

Hyperion lipos

- 1x 5s 5000MAH+ 35C

- 2x 2s 5000MAH+ 35c

= 9s

-GH Bulks? dont want to add more weight if i can help it. I think the Diffs will need to be soild so no movement is incurred when using 9s. I have a feeling my diffs will be the weak point.

- Decent Hyperion Charge duo

Anyone else see anything i should be adding which i do not have already?

Im in the process of rebuilding the whole truck... its about time, i want to see what has worked loose etc...

Sounds bloomin Expensive!

I've sank loads into my savage and its no where near your spec or complete!

The Revo is certainly a cheaper more complete alternative IMO!

I know!!! i have spent a lot of dough! But its been worth it...

The funniest thing i have heard so far was at a recent meet. A guy came up and said

Guy - "I have a savage flux"

Me - "This is a savage flux,... well was a savage flux"

Guy - "Really? because mine isnt that big nor does it take off or behave anywhere near as controlled as yours!?"

Me - "Spend another grand or more on your truck, not including the truck and then see how it performs"

Guy - Silence with a blank, shocked look

lol i found that quite funny lol.

I have always like the idea of the revo, but the savage just has a chassis that i can trust to abuse, and keep all my expensive internals in 1 piece.

Thats why i have only had savages i guess...

Im looking into a shortcourse since ive seen the pounding they can take though!

Great truck!

I have SPI sabre Racing wheels on my revo with Badlands

Iused gorilla tape to tape them and dont have any problem with ballooning

@guns - i know what you mean! when i heard how much money people were pouring into their trucks back in the day to prep their cars for brushless... i was shocked!!! I knew it was a matter of time before things became much more affordable.

@tectic - thanks for the compliments... i have just bought some gorilla tape. I will use them first on the Moabs. I am sure they will be fine with this tape.

I may spend a bit of extra effort and time, and remove my badlands from my spis in the oven and retape them as they are causing serious problems.

I cannot reach top speed because of the ballooning.

You got any links to some pics of your build? I like seeing spis on different trucks