• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Monkey's HPI Baja 5B

bodgemonkey

ooooh the diff will be here any day now, thing is dad is going cyprus tomoz and has "forbidden" me from fixing her up and using her......so i'm taking her to cyprus when i go there in mid-july. Will be awesome, lots of beaches and dirt/dried riverbeds to use it in! Will the engine be ok in hot temperatures? Was 48C last year but i'm worried at anything over 40 the plastic/rubber/eetrical gear will be damaged.

SS diff fitted with new ball bearings in the tranny...shes super-smooth now. I built it all up and then forgotten to put the thread lock on the 6 outer and 2 inner diff screws....so back it came out again :lol:

Good thing is now she is finally, PROPERLY RTR. Next she is getting a new piston ring for the 26cc motor and i'm slotting that in to give it more oomph.

• 4 weeks later...

Well it turns out the 26cc was a 23 with the numbers sanded off and 26 keyed on the top of the engine :lol:

Got some bits from wol (tyres, gas cap and shock shaft) and shes all fixed, and got the silverback beadlocks (outers) from Sphinx, i love 'em!!!

Took her out for a spin yesterday and she is fun, need to buy the small shock springs for it as it's too soft on bumpy ground, i promise to get pics up of it soon.:blush: Bit dusty tho

• 4 months later...

phoar.....haven't been here in a while *blows cobwebs off of thread*

Took the Baja out the other day for the first time since....er....july! Half a tank later at the nlb meet and the throttle servo went at half throttle! New pants later and in order to brake i needed to accelrate so the servo worked and then brake!

3x Towerpro MG995's ordered, cost me

• 2 weeks later...

Okay mini update, my makeshift carb is pretty much dead and my "pipe" scrapes the ground on bumpy road so an upgrade was in order!

So I've bought an ss pipe and 668 carb for a reliable power hike, and infers crossed I'll be getting a half decent filter today :), I'm going to see how the engine runs with the new system before fitting the uprated head, very tempted to sell of a car or two and get a 29cc head!

Stripped the car down and cleaned out around 2 handfuls of grass and dirt from under the fuel tank and engine! Taken off the g23lh head and the piston is a bit damaged so that's been replaced and I've stuck on my cy 23cc head, decent compression, hopefully my new carb and pipe arrive tomorrow, need to get the head and crankcase polished up on the buffer.

Should be a nice power hike!

Stripped the car down and cleaned out around 2 handfuls of grass and dirt from under the fuel tank and engine! Taken off the g23lh head and the piston is a bit damaged so that's been replaced and I've stuck on my cy 23cc head, decent compression, hopefully my new carb and pipe arrive tomorrow, need to get the head and crankcase polished up on the buffer.

Lol yea nice double post :P

The buffer really brings up a nice polish on the cast, although it does take a while to get a clean finish. My engine is already billet alloy and the clutch case i had was the usual cast, The buffer made a VERY nice job of it, looks like the rest of the engine now. Just watch you dont get any of the polish or bits of buffer crap inside the engine :D

Do not fit the tower pros to the throttle ahmet, they are wayy too unreliable bud :confused:

i have to agree,

there is a reason there so cheap, there made with low quality materiel's and you never know when they will give up on you,

a servo is a small price to pay compared to having to scrap the baja completely because it got stuck at wot and hit something

:good:

I will troop but I'm on my phone!

Pipe and carb arrived today so I fitted them onto the slighty modded head, raining now but maybe tomorrow I'll give it a test and see how it is.

Oh and I fixed the killswitch :D

Why are the front shocks upside down? :whistling::rolleyes:

Becasue they're filled with extra virgin olive oil and i don't want them to leak!

And gav, the rear end is really soft!

List to do now:

- New rear wing

- Small rear spring things

- Get a 29cc head (once i get some money!)

Getting 2.4 for christmas aswell :)

Becasue they're filled with extra virgin olive oil and i don't want them to leak!

And gav, the rear end is really soft!

List to do now:

- New rear wing

- Small rear spring things

- Get a 29cc head (once i get some money!)

Getting 2.4 for christmas aswell :)

I see that you are missing the small rear springs that probably they look silly ;)

Wings are less than a tenner from DDM :D

Gav

• 2 weeks later...

Small(ish) update. I stripped down the shocks and saw that they had all been assembled incorrectly! I put some new seals in and this car handles sososososososo much better.

No pics yet, i'm waiting on two parts to arrive and complete it!

Still waiting on the parts :(

I took it out again yesterday, it is absolutely IMMENSE on the grass. Considering it's only a (ported) 23cc engine with an SS pipe it rips through grass, big smile on my face! The fun was only stopped by running out of fuel!

Now that i can run this car without have to tune it every 10 seconds, i can start to make it into my own.

Power, Handlng and looks. I can only afford one of those soon.

POWERRRRRR!!!!!!!

New 29cc head kit and driveshafts?

I might even have a go at porting this myself :)

Also a question folks, i've seen the NGK HT sprak plugs leads, do these make a difference to the power?

Cheers!

Edited by nosmonkey

Still waiting on the parts :(

I took it out again yesterday, it is absolutely IMMENSE on the grass. Considering it's only a (ported) 23cc engine with an SS pipe it rips through grass, big smile on my face! The fun was only stopped by running out of fuel!

Now that i can run this car without have to tune it every 10 seconds, i can start to make it into my own.

Power, Handlng and looks. I can only afford one of those soon.

POWERRRRRR!!!!!!!

New 29cc head kit and driveshafts?

I might even have a go at porting this myself :)

Also a question folks, i've seen the NGK HT sprak plugs leads, do these make a difference to the power?

Cheers!

I like to see this"porting" being done, its not like making a cheese sandwich mate

The lead just adds better spark to the plug

And we still dont have any decent photos...

+2

Gav