• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Hyper 7 factory settings

taff74

Does anyone know the factory settings for the Hobao Hyper 7 .21 engine as I keep on fiddling with them and they are all messed up. I would like the Idle setting, High speed needle, Low speed needle.

Thanks

For the Hyper .21 turbo version (check on pull start it says 'Hyper 21 turbo') this engine is fitted to some Hyper 7 TQ sport versions

Master needle (HSN) 3 turns out from fully in

Black low end needle (LSN) is 3.5 turns out from minimal contact with the fuel supply nozzle (Brass screw on opposite side that is flush to carb body) or to put it another way 3.5 turns out from when it cuts of the fuel from the supply nozzle with the carb throttle slide closed with 1mm idle setting,

Supply fuel nozzle SFN (brass screw) Flush with carb body

It caused me no end of tuning problems getting the correct setting as there are at least 2 or3 different factory needle settings for the Ofna/Hobao Hyper .21, (one has the HSN 5-6 turns out from fully in another flush with the top of the tube ???)

Hope this HELPS and not confuses you with the set up

Edit: forgot idle setting, it is 1mm gap between throttle slide and carb body

Edited by fraggs

Taff74 why didn't you check your last topic you posted, as most of the info is already posted about the settings you require :confused: or did you forget (I did coz I gave the info again then thought, hang on did I post this before, my excuse is old age!!) :rofl:

Taff74 why didn't you check your last topic you posted, as most of the info is already posted about the settings you require :confused: or did you forget (I did coz I gave the info again then thought, hang on did I post this before, my excuse is old age!!) :rofl:

Fraggs am i right in thinking you know alot about Hypers cos ive only had mine about 6 months, ive gone from a Tmaxx (ahem load of ****e) to this and i think ive tuned it but its still blowing the odd plug, maybe you could take a look at it on sunday for me?, thats if your still only a definitely definitely definite?:good:

Fraggs am i right in thinking you know alot about Hypers cos ive only had mine about 6 months, ive gone from a Tmaxx (ahem load of ****e) to this and i think ive tuned it but its still blowing the odd plug, maybe you could take a look at it on sunday for me?, thats if your still only a definitely definitely definite?:good:

Im not in the know about knowing about Hypers mate only started just before christmas but I had a lot of problems finding the correct settings for mine so know what it is like setting them up correctly, I got lucky and Carlcurtis83 sorted mine for me at Horbury, He might even make it there on Sunday, then I found some different settings for my Hyper .21 that I believe are the correct ones now, but I will have to set up the LSN on Sunday.

I am sure that between us and whoever turns up it will get sorted though (I have been reading the tuning guide everywhere so I think I can do it stood on one leg now, oh! I am on one leg Doh!(on crutches)).

I Read that the Hyper .21 can be very critical to blowing plugs if running too rich or lean or if incorrectly shimmed on another forum, but if it is new I cannot see it being the shims unless you are using 30% nitro, and as you have had other nitros before I would assume you know how to tune the engine, you don't have an air leak anywhere do you?

Edited by fraggs

Im not in the know about knowing about Hypers mate only started just before christmas but I had a lot of problems finding the correct settings for mine so know what it is like setting them up correctly, I got lucky and Carlcurtis83 sorted mine for me at Horbury, He might even make it there on Sunday, then I found some different settings for my Hyper .21 that I believe are the correct ones now, but I will have to set up the LSN on Sunday.

I am sure that between us and whoever turns up it will get sorted though (I have been reading the tuning guide everywhere so I think I can do it stood on one leg now, oh! I am on one leg Doh!(on crutches)).

I Read that the Hyper .21 can be very critical to blowing plugs if running too rich or lean or if incorrectly shimmed on another forum, but if it is new I cannot see it being the shims unless you are using 30% nitro, and as you have had other nitros before I would assume you know how to tune the engine, you don't have an air leak anywhere do you?

What you done to your leg mate?

I don't think Carls coming he said he wanted to save his car for the TM beach bash which is fair enough. Like you said we should between us be able to come up with something.

I've read a few tuning guides myself including the one on our website and they have been really helpful but my hyper hasnt been used since winter so il have to lean it out a bit on sunday i reckon, the only thing i can see that might cause an air leak is the rubber gasket around the exhaust manifold which has a small chunk missing but the exhaust is pulled nice and tight with the the spring so i dont know. It's not new no i got it second hand off ebay but it was a good un when it came but i am running 25% nitro with it, could this be an issue?

don't think the 25% is the problem as thats what I am using, the air leak I think would have to be on the combustion side not the exhaust side (someone will correct me if i am wrong), It could just be a tuning issue, which plugs are you using, has the engine been sealed, I can send you a couple of different tuning guides if you like that tune on the sound/performance of the engine, they seem to make more sense of things to me in the way they explain things (in Ms Word format)

Edit forgot, my leg is an ongoing problem from a bone tumour removal around 13 years ago so it is totally kracknerd

Edited by fraggs

don't think the 25% is the problem as thats what I am using, the air leak I think would have to be on the combustion side not the exhaust side (someone will correct me if i am wrong), It could just be a tuning issue, which plugs are you using, has the engine been sealed, I can send you a couple of different tuning guides if you like that tune on the sound/performance of the engine, they seem to make more sense of things to me in the way they explain things (in word format)

im using the fasttrax ones and before that the traxxas 3232x's, i havent sealed the engine mate no, how do you mean sealed, all the screws have been threadlocked and ive checked the pinch bolt on the carb. Yeh if you could link to those guides that would be sweet, i must of read about 5 different ones but no harm in comparing and contrasting.

cheers

Not got the links but will pm them to you shortly mate, using the same plugs as me too, seal the engine by sealing the carb,backplate ect with sealant to stop any air leaks, sound a tricky one though as to why you are blowing plugs.

Not got the links but will pm them to you shortly mate, using the same plugs as me too, seal the engine by sealing the carb,backplate ect with sealant to stop any air leaks, sound a tricky one though as to why you are blowing plugs.

I got the email buddy thanks for that. I havent seen that guide before, looks so straight good i'm gonna stick it on the BYNB website right now, ive never tuned by the sound of the engine before so im gonna give that a whirl on sunday.

i havent got any sealant so il have to hope its ok for sunday.

Thanks again for the guides.:good:

Edited by T-Maxxlover

• 8 years later...
On 24/04/2010 at 20:37, prussian.guard said:

Set the master needle IN until stops, then turn OUT 4.5 to 5 turns.

Setting for the black low end needle is OUT 3.5 turns out from flush.

Setting brass head mid range needle, should always be flush to the case

How you count the turn?.full clockwise turn count one turn or half turn clockwise count one turn?

One turn is one Full Turn. 360 degrees.

If it meant half a turn, it would actually say half a turn. You will see settings quoting 3.5 turns.

Once you have a base setting and are tuning, turn very small amounts. 1/8 of a turn max. Also let the motor drive for a bit between adjustments. If you lean an engine off, you have to burn off the fuel excess before you get an idea of how the motor is now fuelling. Rush it and you can over-lean the motor before you know it.

Edited by Nitroholic

It s the length of a piece of string question that...   

Hyper 8 is a car....which could have any engine in it that conforms to the big-blick crankcase layout.

You should be able to Google base settings from that or find an online manual for the info. 

The rest...is up to you. Best settings do not exist. Nitro settings depend on fuel, weather, glowplug choice, driving style and many more things.

You set your motor to base and tune from there until you get good power, healthy temperatures and smooth running. Tuning is something you learn by doing.

• 11 months later...
On 24/04/2010 at 19:25, fraggs said:

For the Hyper .21 turbo version (check on pull start it says 'Hyper 21 turbo') this engine is fitted to some Hyper 7 TQ sport versions

Master needle (HSN) 3 turns out from fully in

Black low end needle (LSN) is 3.5 turns out from minimal contact with the fuel supply nozzle (Brass screw on opposite side that is flush to carb body) or to put it another way 3.5 turns out from when it cuts of the fuel from the supply nozzle with the carb throttle slide closed with 1mm idle setting,

Supply fuel nozzle SFN (brass screw) Flush with carb body

It caused me no end of tuning problems getting the correct setting as there are at least 2 or3 different factory needle settings for the Ofna/Hobao Hyper .21, (one has the HSN 5-6 turns out from fully in another flush with the top of the tube ???)

Hope this HELPS and not confuses you with the set up

Edit: forgot idle setting, it is 1mm gap between throttle slide and carb body

Does the high speed needle setting needs to be out when fully closed 3 half full turn like if you have a clock at 12 then move it to 1 o'clock is that how you set the high speed needle to the factory settings 

• 3 years later...

Can anyone help iv got a hyper 7 my engine just says hyper on the engine iv reset the needs hsp and lsn and idle 1mm when I start the car it just won't to move iv tryed playing with the lsn but no luck