• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Stampede VXL... Mental- Love it!

grumpygramps

Being the jammy git to win the Stampede VXL on here a week or so ago, and having given the beast a very thorough weekend of blasting around Brighton, I thought it was about time to give it a little review. So, here it is!

After ditching the installed 19t pinion gear in favour of the larger 25t gear (suplied with model), soldering on some 4mm gold plated connections and sticking in a 20c 2 cell LiPo battery I was off... Very quickly indeed! The sheer speed of this thing is quite incredible, its also remarkably stable (which I wasn't expecting at all) and the only times it toppled over cornering was when it hit something going sideways! The suspension handled every surface I ran it on very well, from tarmac and muddy rutted fields to the pebbles on Brighton beach. Its also very easy to clean, being waterproof, I just stuck it in the shower and it was good as new.

Best of all is the fun factor,- me and my friends (most of whom had never driven an r/c car before, which is where the 1/2 speed training mode came in handy!) just didn't stop grinning from the moment I turned it on until way past when the second battery pack had run out each time we took it for a spin! The speed, acceleration and almost limitless wheelies (even at ~40mph with a 20c LiPo), coupled to the handling and ease of use make it an absolute joy.

I did manage to have a slight accident unfortunately, which ended up with the truck cartwheeling through the air into post in the park, so need to get myself a new rear shock tower and front steering blocks... I take it that the RPM tower would be a good choice and the Traxxas Aluminium blocks? (any advice would be appreciated..)

Many thanks once again to Modelsport for the amazing prize, only prob is I want all my cars to be electric/brushless now as I can see its full potential for the first time!

Cheers, Lawrence :D

Nice one Lawrence, you can join in with the rustlers at next TM now :P

I did manage to have a slight accident unfortunately, which ended up with the truck cartwheeling through the air into post in the park, so need to get myself a new rear shock tower and front steering blocks... I take it that the RPM tower would be a good choice and the Traxxas Aluminium blocks? (any advice would be appreciated..)

yup, imo RPM for towers and arms and aluminum for caster blocks, knuckles and rear carriers :goog:

• Like 1

Nice one Lawrence, you can join in with the rustlers at next TM now :P

yup, imo RPM for towers and arms and aluminum for caster blocks, knuckles and rear carriers :goog:

Can't wait to go for a proper bash, any ideas when the next TM one is? Don't know if I'll be joining you crazy Rustler guys over the near verticle jumps though! Nutters...

Gonna get the truck sorted with those hop-ups asap, as I was completely gutted when my little mishap destroyed the fun.. Hopefully that should limit damage a bit.

Edited by grumpygramps

Your RC8Te looks beautiful btw Nick! Just had a look at the build pics and I've gone decidedly green with jealously...:016:

thtas how I felt whe nI saw you ahd won the VXL ;) Seriously, Have a soft spot for Pedes, Regardless of value, this would be my #1 pcik from MSUK if I could have anything!

I'll get some pics up once the damage is remedied, promise! Should have a 3 cell lipo soon as well...:D

Going to have a race with a Savage Flux when its sorted, will try get it on vid and put a link up. Any bets?!? Personally I think with the massive weight advantage I might be in with a chance despite the crazy power of the Monster Mamba!