• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Nitro engine sealing

carlcurtis83

loctite rtv sealant from halfords does the trick nicely.

Also 1 important point, make sure the piston is at TDC when removing your backplate, otherwise you risk breaking the skirt off your piston... :good:

When you tighten up the parts with sealant, in particular the backplate, as seen in the pics, don`t worry about wiping away the bead which pushes out, wait for everything to dry and it`ll pull of neatly in one go.

What about the beading which pushes out on the inside?

Surely thats not good for the engine!

:confused:

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Just wondering if its ok to seal the head on aswell. Have an engine in a Firestorm thats looking as tho its leakin from the top.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Nice tutorial,.

I use green slime on around needles and o-rings and also reccomended to not completey tighten backplate screws until set then tighten. This will then create an actual gasket for the backplate.

I also only apply sealent around the carb oring area. Can be pretty hard to get carb off later if you seal her completely in,.

But hey thats just me.,.

• 1 month later...

What about the front bearing too I just sealed my engine today wish i saw this first lol I did the back plate instead of how you shown and I wish I waited for it to cure alittle before fully tightening.

But i did the front bearing around the outta edge plus used car engine instant gasket cheap as chips on ebay.

I will look for some green slime for my needles since the 3.3 has tuning issues would the slime help with that.

Edited by RCbutcher

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

What's this green slime the guys were talking about? All I can find is the stuff for tyres