• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

STS.28 DM Engine

carlcurtis83

I've got STS30's combo'ed with the STS pipes and clutches. Its a mean setup and I can't think of a monster truck that I've actually seen that can compete.

They do suffer from massive air leaks though so I'd recommend a good sealing as soon as you get it but once they are sealed I agree they are an amazing, powerful, cheap engine to run.

• 2 months later...

Yeah, sealing is the key!!! These engines are great if they are tuned properly. They need to display quite a bit of smoke on the low end; so look like they are almost running too rich, but the power and sound tells you they arent. I have had two and they BOTH needed taking apart and sealing with gasket sealant. One is spare, and seems to have been lost somewhere lol but the other has been running happily on Blue Thunder 25% which was horrible but all i could get at the time for it, for about 4 gallons. Still has masses of compression and I can still pick my MGT up by the pull starter even after that amount of fuel. I have to admit im nicely surprised by the wear rate, much better than most rtr type engines, thats for sure; but needs to be kept nicely tuned. Mine keeps a tune great now, but was horrible; and didnt before the carb and backplate were resealed. Power is similar to nothing else apart from the LRPs. Mine runs great with temps of about 240ish; but any attempt to get any extra speed are met with horrible lean bog and power decrease..so seem to have got it to stay in tune well too with just weather adjustments on the needles. As resealing is a good idea I have found on any of these engines; I would defo recommend one for the price vs fun factor ^_^

Yeah, sealing is the key!!! These engines are great if they are tuned properly. They need to display quite a bit of smoke on the low end; so look like they are almost running too rich, but the power and sound tells you they arent. I have had two and they BOTH needed taking apart and sealing with gasket sealant. One is spare, and seems to have been lost somewhere lol but the other has been running happily on Blue Thunder 25% which was horrible but all i could get at the time for it, for about 4 gallons. Still has masses of compression and I can still pick my MGT up by the pull starter even after that amount of fuel. I have to admit im nicely surprised by the wear rate, much better than most rtr type engines, thats for sure; but needs to be kept nicely tuned. Mine keeps a tune great now, but was horrible; and didnt before the carb and backplate were resealed. Power is similar to nothing else apart from the LRPs. Mine runs great with temps of about 240ish; but any attempt to get any extra speed are met with horrible lean bog and power decrease..so seem to have got it to stay in tune well too with just weather adjustments on the needles. As resealing is a good idea I have found on any of these engines; I would defo recommend one for the price vs fun factor happy.gif

Pete, you forgot to mention that you can outrun dogs with that engine!!!!!!!!!! rofl.gif

Edited by nosmonkey

I've got STS30's combo'ed with the STS pipes and clutches. Its a mean setup and I can't think of a monster truck that I've actually seen that can compete.

They do suffer from massive air leaks though so I'd recommend a good sealing as soon as you get it but once they are sealed I agree they are an amazing, powerful, cheap engine to run.

hi what do you use to seal it and is there any guides on sealing an engine.

hi what do you use to seal it and is there any guides on sealing an engine.

I sealed mine with High Temp sealant...basically take off the back plate and put a thin amount on the edge of the crankcase and around the screw holes, then screw the back plate back on. You can do the carb in the same way too. Try not to let any drop into the carb and you only really need thin lines round the edges.

The just put it back together, wipe of excess and then re-assemble and leave for around 24 hours for the sealant to cure.

I've started using this stuff since Hermatite red was discontinued.This is awesome sealant,probably the best i've used on the bikes...good.gif

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/3-BOND-GASKET-SEALANT-2-TUBES-TY-FZ-XJ-R1-TZ-YZ-CBR600_W0QQitemZ360184280621QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Motorcycle_Parts?hash=item53dca7f62d

Blue Hylomar is another decent sealant but I prefer semi hardening gasket sealers...wink.gif

Would this work ?

Click me im a link smile.gif

If not then can someone link me to a uk site NON Ebay

good.gif

I am also interested in sealing my engine while I am rebuilding it. Copper gasket sealant 350c Would this be better than the one harry put up due to being able to cope with higher temps or is the copper stuff wrong stuff?

Thanks

• 5 weeks later...

Think im a bit late to answer lol but the higher temp sealant is better i.e. the one Koiboy put up...I would be tempted to say the other one :D will work too but better to be safe. I have the copper based one and although have used better, it works :lol:

That silicone RTV from Halfords will be fine,250C is easily enough for any nitro engiineseeing as temps rarely excedd 300F.The best types of gasket sealant are the semi hardening types like Red Hermatite but most silicone RTV's will work as long as they can cover the temps.I've never had any leaks from any engines i've sealed and i've never used any sealant that was rated over that 250-260 degrees C upper ceiling,so its safe to say it will deffo be fine....wink.gif

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...