• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Best option for a first petrol?

Nitroholic

Like all overgrown boys, I want bigger toys :) Nitro is fun, but I have the urge for something bigger and badder to blast round the park terrorising the dog-walkers.

The question is, how best to dip my toes in the water.

Currently, the sluch fund for toys is running at around

I do hope you are joking,about the park,if you hit something with a 12kg petrol buggy you will do some serious damage,to pets or people or property,and it just gives

modelers a bad name,where as if you are kind and courteous to other park users,they generally take an interest and not moan about the noise.As for a first purchase

try a second hand baja or marder and see how you go.VM

:P Yes.... I was joking. I am ALWAYS careful of bystanders and the like when out with the buggies. Most uninitiated onlookers have no idea how fast a nitro buggy can go, let alone a hulking great petrol job.

With a second hand Baja, what should I be looking out for in terms of spotting a genuine one as opposed to a clone, and what should I watch for in terms of wear and tear? Marders seem to go for a lot less on E-Bay but I don't like the look so much. Also....a lot of the ones I have seen have damaged bodies or ones cut for custom pipes.

Really has to be a Baja for me.

clones are a cheap way to get into it, but the first time you come uo against the real deal

you will regret buying cheap

you can make them faster, you can make them handle

but the car won't take it

by the time you've bought all the bits to sort it out

you would have spent about the same anyway

Go for an FG or a HPI you won't regret either

just my two pennies worth :)

The KM has only the same problems that the HPI RTR has i.e. cheese shock shafts

from my experience its more like cheese shock shafts, cheese drive cups, cheese bones, cheese clutch, cheese diff, cheese tyres, cheese shell, cheese skidplate, cheese servo gears and a cheese servo horn.