• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

WHAT DO I DO TO MAKE MY NITRO CAR RUN BETTER

floody

Ahh..the K&N air-filter.

As a long time motorcyclist brought up on a diet of ratty old jap fours, I have had more than my fair share of fun with these beauties. Enough to know I wouldn't want one on a buggy!

They don't filter out the dust and grit unless you get an oiled type...then they clog up really quickly. They are also virtually impossible to clean and re-use. If used dry, they allow more air to flow through which would tend to lean off the mixture. Fine if you can tune to suit, but with the limited amount of tuning available on a nitro engines carb, it will always be a compromise between pick up and top end. Both my buggies run oiled foam filters...one a single layer one...the other has a second outer layer. Judging from the fact that they need a good clean after every run, I wouldn't run with anything else.

A K&N with a chrome end may look shiny....but when you think of the revs these engines run at, getting grit and dust in will ruin an engine in no time at all.

On top of that, I would think the air filter is probably one of the most likely reasons for your motor to be running lean. If you have just fitted the filter, I would swap back and see if the trouble goes away. If not, check it for damage or holes etc.

Firstly, turn off caps :)

Secondly, Welcome to the forums.

Remove the K&N style filter, they suck to put it mildly. Use the original airfilter.

What do you mean "borping"? Does it sound like its bogging down and spluttering from too much fuel, or is the engine really jumpy? Ifs it's bogging down then its too rich and you need to lean it out a bit. Adjust 1/8 of a turn at a time ;)

Getting rid of the K&N might help, I'll be polite and use the word rubbish to describe it.

I dont think they are proper buggy filters anyway, they're based on rocker cover breather filters for V8's and stuff like that.

Thats the only thing there good for Breathers,,,,NOT filters.... :good: