• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Engine won't start

kmanmx

Surprise surprise, after a full night charging my batteries the engine on my new Savage X 4.6 will not start.

i received my Savage X 4.6 yesterday, i left all the batteries and glow plug to charge overnight so they were fully charged and ready for today. In that time i fitted the M-Tronics failsafe which is now working properly, and a Fuel filter with primer, which also appears to be working properly. But now i can't start to engine. I use the fuel primer to pump fuel to reach the carburetor without bubbles, put the glow starter on the glowplug, insert the rotostart and hold the button for the maximum 5seconds. The engine turns over as you can clearly here it, but it does not start. So i take the glow plug out, and run the engine over to get rid of excess fuel and tried again. I did this about 4 times, sometimes i primed it more sometimes i primed it a lot less just to try and get it to work. It still didn't. At this point i tried a new McCoy Glowplug and did the process again, but still no luck. I assumed it was because the engine was only 13celcius (I checked with HPI Temp monitor) so i heated it up for 5minutes to a warm 55celcius, but the result remained the same and the engine wouldn't start.I am using the rotostart with a 2000mah 7.2v battery, Modelsport 25Glow fuel, Core RC Glow starter.

Please help!

If you mean the needles, yes i haven't touched the high speed needle or low speed or idle. They are all flush and rich setting (quite a bit of fuel comes out the exhaust).

Is there anything i should look for on the engine to see if it's damaged ?

One thing i have noticed is that no matter how much i prime the fuel there are the occasional small/very small bubbles in the fuel. That a big problem ? They are probably 0.5 to 1.5mm in size and occur every 10cm of fuel tube.

I have now also checked what i beleive to be the fly wheel ? It turns and the piston goes up and down, and it's pretty tight at tdc. It's confusing me, everything seems right.. but it's so obviously not :(

I have got it running now, but after driving around for a few minutes at slow speed the engine cuts out. And i have another problem, as soon as i am at 100percent full throttle (with the engine off, just receiver on) the mtronics fail safe kicks in right away and slams the breaks on :o I have tried 2 sets of batteries too, same thing.

Edited by kmanmx

if its a new car should start it and keep it on idle for at least 2 tanks of fuel and after that start slowly driving it. read the engine brake in procedure!!!! it is very important!!! l think you are lucky that engine doesnt want to start bocouse if it would and you go wide open throtle :confused::confused::confused:

Just a tip.. I'd never pour fuel direct in the carb.. Your fuel tank has a filter built in for a reason, to stop crap getting into the engine, most people also put a secondary one on for anything else. Just make sure you prime it properly, put your finger over the exhaust and give the engine a few turn overs.

I would try replacing the fuel tubes if you always getting air in them, its either them or the fuel tank but its prob the fuel lines.

Have you done anything to break the engine in yet? You shouldnt be running at full throttle if you havnt. You prob will break it.

Have you reset your failsafe?

I think mine is still a bit tight at tdc.

What hapens when it cuts out? Does the revs rise or anything? Or does it just bog down with fuel?

• 2 weeks later...

tbh when i couldnt start mine 1st nitro car i put nitro directly into the carb and 11 months later im still goin strong. also i have found that you really dont hav to do the whole 8-9 tanks or wotever it is. i just did 1 tank idle to find the idle speed then a couple more tanks riding it up and down the road really "goosing" the engine to try and get as much fuel through it as possible, and mine is absolutely fine. and in response to the failsafe issue, just make sure your batteries are fully charged so there is no interference and reset ur failsafe, it should be fine.