• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

First experience

kmanmx

Well my savage x 4.6 arrived a few hours ago, been setting up since.

For a start, looks bigger than it does in the pictures !

It was a very interesting experience, i had a load of stuff on the table and i had no idea how to use it or what to do with it (Heck it took me 10minutes to figure out how to charge the glow starter) as i read through the manual things started to make a bit more sense however. I got the receiver set up and the antenna threaded through the tube, and adjusted the trim so the wheels were nicely centered. I then ran into my first problem, am i correct in saying the M-Tronics micro fail safe will only work with the receiver humped rechargeable battery ? As i am just using four AA alkaline at the moment - but then i couldn't connect it anyway, the connectors didn't seem to fit together :(

So i put that aside for now, and continued to read through the manual on using the rotostart and priming etc. Anyway after about 1 and a half hours of fiddling with stuff (time flew by :D) my patience wore to thin and i had to take it out to break the engine in, despite swearing to myself that i would wait for my fuel filter to arrive in the post. In all my excitement i had forget to charge the 7.2v battery for the rotostart ! so whilst it spun freely out the engine, it didn't have enough power to spin once in the engine.. so now that's charging away :) And hopefully it'll be working in a few hours :good:

So here i am waiting for the battery to charge up. I can not wait any longer ! so excited ;)

Well my savage x 4.6 arrived a few hours ago, been setting up since.

For a start, looks bigger than it does in the pictures !

It was a very interesting experience, i had a load of stuff on the table and i had no idea how to use it or what to do with it (Heck it took me 10minutes to figure out how to charge the glow starter) as i read through the manual things started to make a bit more sense however. I got the receiver set up and the antenna threaded through the tube, and adjusted the trim so the wheels were nicely centered. I then ran into my first problem, am i correct in saying the M-Tronics micro fail safe will only work with the receiver humped rechargeable battery ? As i am just using four AA alkaline at the moment - but then i couldn't connect it anyway, the connectors didn't seem to fit together :(

So i put that aside for now, and continued to read through the manual on using the rotostart and priming etc. Anyway after about 1 and a half hours of fiddling with stuff (time flew by :D) my patience wore to thin and i had to take it out to break the engine in, despite swearing to myself that i would wait for my fuel filter to arrive in the post. In all my excitement i had forget to charge the 7.2v battery for the rotostart ! so whilst it spun freely out the engine, it didn't have enough power to spin once in the engine.. so now that's charging away :) And hopefully it'll be working in a few hours :good:

So here i am waiting for the battery to charge up. I can not wait any longer ! so excited ;)

You should be able to make it fit by cutting the excess off, but dont cut any metal bits or anything. i have to do this with my hyper.

It happens to the best of us... just take ur time with break in and DO NOT be tempted to go full speed....

The failsafe will work. And what do you mean about the receiver battery? does it have a different plug to the AA holder on the end?

I'm saying the instructions on the back of the failsafe say it's designed to work with a 4Cell 4.8v battery. But i was unsure whether this meant a 4.8v reachargeable receiver battery, or wether it would work with four individual AA cells.

The connectors are the same.

The connectors definitely do not fit, they are designed slightly different, you're (The Trooper) suggesting i cut a bit off the receiver connector so it fits inside the connector on the failsafe ?Also just to check i am trying this right, I am taking the throttle servo connector out of the receiver, trying to connect that to one end of the fail safe, and then connecting the failsafe back to the receiver.

Edited by kmanmx

I'm saying the instructions on the back of the failsafe say it's designed to work with a 4Cell 4.8v battery. But i was unsure whether this meant a 4.8v reachargeable receiver battery, or wether it would work with four individual AA cells.

The connectors are the same.

The connectors definitely do not fit, they are designed slightly different, you're (The Trooper) suggesting i cut a bit off the receiver connector so it fits inside the connector on the failsafe ?Also just to check i am trying this right, I am taking the throttle servo connector out of the receiver, trying to connect that to one end of the fail safe, and then connecting the failsafe back to the receiver.

Guys i have a problem, charged the rotostart battery for around 1 and half hours, maybe 2 hours - and it still doesn't have enough power to turn the engine and pull fuel through to prime it :confused:

I don't think the battery is fully charged, but i'd thought it would have enough juice after 2hours.

yes mate, werent there instructions with the failsafe?

could u post some pics of the connectors before u got cutting anything lol

I'll try in a few minutes.

Edited by kmanmx

mate, have u got a trickle charger? it could take upwards of 15 hours to charge it if u do

Not sure what charger it is. It's an Ansmann charger supplied by Modelsport.

Might sound stupid, but can i just put the rod from the rotostart into an electric drill and start it useing that ?:blush:

Edited by kmanmx

For the failsafe, not sure what the instructions are saying but make sure you are trying to install it between the throttle servo and the Rx, not the battery pack and the Rx.

Not the same model, but my Hyper had some odd battery pack adapter (a 2 pin red connector) instead of the black (Futaba?) 3 pin deal, but I swapped if for a 5cell 6V pack anyway.

let us know what charger you have and we can see how long a charge will take. To be honest its a new big engine so its gonna need alot of power to ruen it over.

As for the frill idea chances are the drill will have to much torque and if the engine floods and locks up the drill will cause havoc so best to wait.

Also un do the glow plug a 1/4 turn to aid starting but once started tighten back up

I use a drill to start my engine (with a hex shaft) you just have to set the drill to a reasonably low torque setting (enough so i can start it slipping by hand if i hold it really tight) and it works fine, but you are best of waiting a while for the battery to start it that way.

Edited by wiggles

Hiya, just a quick note about the rotostart, i've got an XTM sure start and in the instructions it recommends using a 3000mah or more sized battery. I dont know what battery your using but it might be wise to invest in a second one just in case that one runs low when your trying to start your new engine.

Powertech 3000mah I dont know what these are like, but for a

i think u will need to buy the cables seperate for that charger, i never charge nothing for under an hour, i would charge a 3000mah pack at 3 amps as it would take 1 hr. and even though i have a quick charger i often use it on trickle settings to get the best performancec from my batteries

Hiya, just a quick note about the rotostart, i've got an XTM sure start and in the instructions it recommends using a 3000mah or more sized battery. I dont know what battery your using but it might be wise to invest in a second one just in case that one runs low when your trying to start your new engine.

Powertech 3000mah I dont know what these are like, but for a £13 it cant be that bad.

Cheapo's I got some of these (or ones very like them) awhile back for my Tamiya Twin Detonator. I wasnt to impressed but then again, for using in a rotostart, your not gonna need super expensive batts.

Do you know if your charger goes onto 'trickle charge' once the battery has charged?

Thanks - but it's okay as i have a 4000Mah Orion battery. Unfortunately i don't know if it goes into trickle charge. Does it matter much ?

Okay well maybe i'll invest in a good charger at a later date. Do you guys have any idea how long these AA Alkalines will last in the receiver ?If they don't last long at all, would i be better off getting the rechargeable hump pack?

edit:

Forgot to ask, but i fitted the micro failsafe and i think it's working properly, but not sure. See the green light comes on, throttle and brake work fine - untill i pull them in and out fast (full throttle, full brake, full throttle, full break) several times a second. Then after doing this for about 1 to 2 seconds the red light comes on, i can't control throttle and the servo automatically goes to full brake. After about a second the green light returns and i can continue controlling the throttle. This sound right ?

Edited by kmanmx

everyone of you!!! just read your posts this guy is looking for basic advices and answers to his questions... remember your self first time preparing and starting nitro car???

about the failsafe it is not working as it should. go to youtube there are thousands movies about setting up, starting, priming and etc etc your car or any other RC car. type in squirrelod and look for movie wich will be useful for you.

Edited by buggyowner

The failsafe should only cut in when the signal is lost to the receiver. When that happens, the failsafe should be set to kill the throttle and return the engine to idel, plus apply the brakes. That has happened in your test ... but more because the thing got confused!

If you have normal control and turn off the transmitter, the failsafe should activate and close off throttle and apply brakes. Nothing else should cause that to happen. Double check everything is connected properly and that you have followed the failsafe setup instructions carefully.