• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

New Off-road track plans for Cambridge area, need help!

grumpygramps

Firstly I guess I should say hi, as I've not been on here before... So, hello, hope you're all well!

As the title of the topic suggests I'm looking into the possibility/feasibility of building a new off-road track near to Cambridge (where I've just moved back to after living in Sussex for the last 12 years). There are none in the area, yet the local Hobbystores shop tells me that 80% of their sales are either Nitro Buggies, Truggies or Trucks, so there are obviously a reasonably large number of people in the vicinity without a proper place to use/race their vehicles. Apparently there were also a number of racers in the area who have given up because there is nowhere around to practice nearby as well....

So, after abit of thinking I put the idea to a local farmer who I'm good friends with, who's arable land actually makes a loss each year and is looking at ways to cut the losses. The outcome is that there is potentially a great spot in rural Cambridgeshire, not far from the City, to build a new track. There is even the manpower (though maybe more needed..) and machinery available to go about building it properly.

What I could really use at this stage is some other R/C enthusiasts to become involved with the project, especially with the design of the track as its not something that I'm confident about enough to set out and do on my own. Hobbystores were very helpful and said they would be able to support the project by helping to advertise and offer other possibilities when the track is up and running, but until then I'm on my own, which is proving very dawnting indeed!

If anybody has any helpful suggestions as to how I can progress with this exciting new project, or even become involved in some way then I would love to hear from you.

Thanks for your time and I look forward to hearing back from any of you.

Cheers,

Lawrence

Edited by grumpygramps

Firstly I guess I should say hi, as I've not been on here before... So, hello, hope you're all well!

As the title of the topic suggests I'm looking into the possibility/feasibility of building a new off-road track near to Cambridge (where I've just moved back to after living in Sussex for the last 12 years). There are none in the area, yet the local Hobbystores shop tells me that 80% of their sales are either Nitro Buggies, Truggies or Trucks, so there are obviously a reasonably large number of people in the vicinity without a proper place to use/race their vehicles. Apparently there were also a number of racers in the area who have given up because there is nowhere around to practice nearby as well....

So, after abit of thinking I put the idea to a local farmer who I'm good friends with, who's arable land actually makes a loss each year and is looking at ways to cut the losses. The outcome is that there is potentially a great spot in rural Cambridgeshire, not far from the City, to build a new track. There is even the manpower (though maybe more needed..) and machinery available to go about building it properly.

What I could really use at this stage is some other R/C enthusiasts to become involved with the project, especially with the design of the track as its not something that I'm confident about enough to set out and do on my own. Hobbystores were very helpful and said they would be able to support the project by helping to advertise and offer other possibilities when the track is up and running, but until then I'm on my own, which is proving very dawnting indeed!

If anybody has any helpful suggestions as to how I can progress with this exciting new project, or even become involved in some way then I would love to hear from you.

Thanks for your time and I look forward to hearing back from any of you.

Cheers,

Lawrence

hi, and welcome. i'd certainly be interested and would love to be involved. Where abouts in cambridge are you thinking of?

What would be really great is a track or bit of a track that will also suit 1/10th electric. I've got a group of friends that all have 1/10th electrics and we'd happily pay to use a decent local spot, also i'm itching to get an SC10 too :)

Feel free to drop me a PM if there is anything i can help with..

Edited by adequate

Thanks Garry, will check that out now. I did try and register to their forums a few days ago but have still not had the message back from them so I can post or even look at much of the stuff on their forums it seems... Abit weird.. Maybe they're on holiday or something?!

Hi,

I race with Adam (Badger) and would be interested in helping out - might be worth you taking a trip over to Coventry - they have a race meeting next Sunday 13th - there track is quality.

We did a race meeting at Stoneleigh Park last weekend which was a grass track with three wooden ramps built on site that worked well with all scales- nitro and electric - I suppose if you have diggers etc these can be done easily out of soil ?

Neil

Hi Neil,

Thanks ever so much for your offer of help, interest and ideas, greatly appreciated and I'll keep you posted when we start getting on with things on a more practical level, or when we're going to meet up.

Unfortunately on the 13th I'm going to Herts for a race meet there, to meet up with some of the track/club organisers and check out there set up. I'm up for coming to Coventry on another day though, will check out their site and see when another good day would be for a visit.

Thanks again, take care,

Lawrence

I'm Cambridge based too and would gladly help out. I tried forming a club at Caxton with a friend not too long ago but sadly the proposal was refused and it all went sky high :(

There are numerous model shops around our area that would gladly help out and spread the word.

If you send me your email address I could dig out the proposal I put together for you to scan over. It has the track designs and things we made and some other information regarding health and safety etc.

Very interested.

Will

Hi Neil,

Thanks ever so much for your offer of help, interest and ideas, greatly appreciated and I'll keep you posted when we start getting on with things on a more practical level, or when we're going to meet up.

Unfortunately on the 13th I'm going to Herts for a race meet there, to meet up with some of the track/club organisers and check out there set up. I'm up for coming to Coventry on another day though, will check out their site and see when another good day would be for a visit.

Thanks again, take care,

Lawrence

No worries,

Strangely enough I'm a member at Herts ! biggrin.gif

Only raced there a couple of times earlier this year before I found Nene Valley and Coventry- there easier to get to for me.

Herts is a tremendous club, lots of members and one of the best tracks in the country.

Be nice to get a bit of practise in Cambridgehire

Neil

Hi folks! Hope alls well.

Since I've last posted there's been some developments which I thought I'd keep you updated with, also a little favour that I'd like to ask of any interested parties...

Firstly after a brief chat to the landowner of the proposed site, who is currently very busy indeed as one of his daughters is getting married next weekend (apart from being the father he's also the Vicar that'll be doing the ceremony!) it was suggested that as well as seeking planning permission for the site on his farm, that I approach some other local landowners who own all the land surrounding Bourn Airfield. This area has industry and alot of activity taking place there as it is, and also has many other benefits. These include much easier access, parking facilities already in place and the possibility of having an "on-road" track as well using a section of the airstrip. I have draughted out a proposal to give to them, but am waiting until after the weekend, as I'm paying a visit to the Herts club on sunday, which may well give me some more information that I can use.

Now, to the favour! I am trying to get a database of potential track users/club members together, which will function as a means to get updated news about the track etc out to people as well as being something that I can present to the landowners to show that there is genuine interest in the project, which will help alot. I would realy appreciate it, if you are interested in using/supporting the new track, if you could send an e.mail in the format set out below to this e.mail address:- [email protected]

Please set out the e.mail like this:-

1. Full name.

2. E.mail address that you would like news updates etc sent to.

3. R/C Models that you own (to give us an idea of what needs potential users may have).

4. County/area that you live in.

Many thanks in advance,

Lawrence.

just dont base the size of your track on Herts.... its too big in reality. it could do with being one lane shorter in terms of distance from rostrum to back of track.

I'd recommend visiting Herts, Clanfield, Slough and Kent, and maybe Action Park (astro) to get a good range of ideas

coventry is also worth a visit. there dirt track is fantastic. Action park in essex is one of my favorite track iv been to. the layout is fantastic and the astro turf isnt a mix match or bit resulting in bald or lifting parts like at some tracks, plus the track side shop is second to none, i found every part i needed and its cheap to... well cheap as an unexpected bill can be rofl

adam

Hi guys,

I had noticed that Herts looks to be bigger than many of the tracks I've seen pics of but hadn't considered it to be too big. Practically I guess for the people controlling the cars its easier if they are within a certain range visually, which is something I'll certainly take into consideration. Hopefully I will get a chance to visit the tracks you mention in the near future and get more of an idea as to what an "ideal" track layout might be..

I'm going to have a look at the prices of astro turf to see if would be a financially viable option, as it does seem to be a surface that would be good for a number of reasons and quite popular with racers (maybe there might be football pitches or the like selling some when its reached the end of its usable life or something??). My only slight concern about it is that in areas where there is lots of pressure put on it, it will end up going bald.. Is this a usual problem does anyone know? Also has the BRCA got any rules about using it that I haven't seen?

Many thanks,

Lawrence

PS,- OI! Get your details sent to the address I've set up, please :good:

I think most clubs get their Astro for free, just the delivery cost - I seem to remember the BRCA website advertising free astro in the past - on another website (sounds like Baxmashing..whistling.gif ) there's a really good thread showing how they built an astro track from scatch, I realy enjoy the dirt tracks, but we raced on an astro track in Blackpool that was very much like a dirt track in profiles etc - and you can race all year round not to mention less car cleaning !

Neil

astro does has its advantages, in that its cleaner and its garanteed all year round racing. However, when its wet its like ice, and can be prone to puddles in the rain.

personally i much prefer dirt tracks. If you want something different, then look into producing a clay track. There are none in the south of england at the moment. Herts are changing to all clay soon also.

If you go clay, and make it US style with bigger jumps, you will have something truely unique and would almost be garanteed to get nationals.

HELLO! Anybody..? :)

Would be very nice if you could voice your support by sending your details to the above e.mail address..

I'll be seeing the people who own the land around the airfield next weekend, and it would be good if I could present them with a big list of potential track users to make the proposal as attractive to them as possible.

So... If you could take the time to do it I'd be a very happy man indeed!

Thanks,

Lawrence.

HELLO! Anybody..? :)

Would be very nice if you could voice your support by sending your details to the above e.mail address..

I'll be seeing the people who own the land around the airfield next weekend, and it would be good if I could present them with a big list of potential track users to make the proposal as attractive to them as possible.

So... If you could take the time to do it I'd be a very happy man indeed!

Thanks,

Lawrence.

Hi did you get mine i sent? (fatrix_1)

I have seen people flying model aeroplanes over there a while back, does that still go on? Maybe they have connections and could help?

Ashley

Hi did you get mine i sent? (fatrix_1)

I have seen people flying model aeroplanes over there a while back, does that still go on? Maybe they have connections and could help?

Ashley

Yes I did get your reply thank you Ashley. Really sorry I didn't acknowledge it, I've been sending out little messages of thanks when I've recieved peoples details but somehow missed you out... Sorry!

I've seen people flying model planes there as well but not for years, maybe when I meet up with the landowners they'll know who they are.. My Mum knows one of the brothers who own/manage the land anyway and he lives very locally, the other one lives in Eltisley. I don't know how well they usually mix, but maybe the new club could include R/C model airplanes and helicopters as well if it ends up on the airfield, being such an ideal place for them..?

Cheers,

Lawrence

Will leave that one for the time being then, maybe come back to it when other things are sorted..

Any more takers for supporting the track by sending your details to the e.mail above would still be greatly appreciated by the way... Come on, don't be shy!

Cheers,

Lawrence