• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Blitzer Beetle restore and update...

Hi all, recently got a Blitzer Beetle for a bargain, overall good condition, but the shell needs a complete overhaul, new glass, clean, sand, prime and finish, in candy apply red :mf_dribble:

I am expecting this to be done in a couple of weeks, so i'll update the thread accordingly

First off, some pics

DSC00293.jpg

Cracked, dirty window

DSC00294.jpg

Lights are supposed to be hand painted, someone got bored :lol:

DSC00295.jpg

Motor looks very tired, will be replaced.

DSC00296.jpg

DSC00298.jpg

Bald back tyres, will also be replaced

DSC00301.jpg

Internal in good knick actually, will not know the full state of the gearbox etc till its stripped down but its jsut a bit dusty, MSC = :puke:

DSC00302.jpg

Very old Tamiya Servo, will also be replaced

DSC00304.jpg

Total list of parts to be replaced

Motor

MSC

Servo

Shocks

Bearings

Window

Tyres

And anything that pops up :)

Should be a good little project this, hope you enjoy the ride ;)

Looks like a good project car, my brother had one years ago should of kept it because there not so cheap anymore!

are you going to keep the standard motor or replace it with a better one? :D

Stickers all off now, and its had a little soak as well, will get pics up asap.

The person who built this has used resin, as well as screws for some bits, and a tone of resin on others, looks lyk i will have to get out the old acetone, i.e. Mums nail varnish remover :whistling::lol:

All stripped now, few bits will need replacing as the resin that was used has fused with the mounts on the back lights and back plate/boot opener, should be able to get them off ebay. Will also need to replace both wipers and drill out the mount holes.

Pics

DSC00310.jpg

Managed to salvage the VW Badge, bit a' soap and a toothbrush = nice ^_^

DSC00311.jpg

if your gonna use a hot motor innit remember to upgrade the driveshafts if you can get hold of them i remember mine ate drive shafts till i upgraded them was a great car wish i still had it good.gif

Will have a look out for them mate :good:

Couldn't get much done today as i was busy, but tomorrow i will be off down the local DIY store for some wet and dry, i'll finish off with some micromesh to give it a finite key for the primer, lot of pics tomorrow ^_^

Well, its had its first coat of light gray primer, went smoothly, but there were a few hairs on the wheel arches, so they will have to be taken off, and the whole thing rubbed down with a micrfibre cloth for the final coat before painting.

Very happy with the first coat however considering the shell is very dark.

Heres the shell after getting a finite micromesh key 1800g.

DSC00312.jpg

And shots of all four corners after the first coat :)

DSC00313.jpg

DSC00314.jpg

DSC00315.jpg

DSC00316.jpg

Thanks for looking :good:

Edited by GunnersRC

Cheers fellas.

New glass arrived the other day, really nice with a very slight tint aswell as the new lenses for the lights (All inslusive with the window)

Still waiting for the ESC, have hopefully secured a LRP GT-1 Turbo 21x2 motor off of TC Forums.

I am getting impatient though, just want to run this bad boy now!!!!! :lol:

Hi all, sorry i haven't kept you updated as much as i would have liked but this week has been a bit hectic, plus i have been waiting for parts as well.

Motor just arrived this morning, ESC arrived a few days ago, i am yet to strip out the old stuff, that will be done tonight :blush:

I am having a bit of trouble finding the paint i want as well :closedeyes:

Decided not to do a full rebuild, as its it very good knick, will check the gearbox however as it may need regreasing and will obviously tighten everything up.

Should be RTR tomorrow, shell permitting.

Will get some pics up this evening

Hi all, sorry i haven't kept you updated as much as i would have liked but this week has been a bit hectic, plus i have been waiting for parts as well.

Motor just arrived this morning, ESC arrived a few days ago, i am yet to strip out the old stuff, that will be done tonight :blush:

I am having a bit of trouble finding the paint i want as well :closedeyes:

Decided not to do a full rebuild, as its it very good knick, will check the gearbox however as it may need regreasing and will obviously tighten everything up.

Should be RTR tomorrow, shell permitting.

Will get some pics up this evening

That should be fast when you drop that lrp motor in, what tires are you going to be using?

im a bit suprised that its hard to find the paint you wanted? have you asked on the tamiya forum? its always the little things that are hard to find...lol..

Are you going to up a vid when its done? I havent seen a blitzer in years and years! :good::D

Stock tires for the moment Alan, they are quite hard to get hold of as i am looking for a UK seller.

There is one minor hiccup in the build at the moment, i can't get the Pinion off of the old motor, otherwise i would have had this up and running at the weekend :o

Will be impossible to get off as well :(

Before i go out and get one, if anyone has a spare 13t pinion and hex key they would be willing to sell (Or give :P) i would appreciate it a LOT.

Mate it's looking good so fargood.gif cant wait to see the shell finished in candy Red, thats a great colour and should look fantastic especially with the slightly tinted windows you've got.smile.gif

I think i've got a 13T spare, I'll go and have a root about and let you know

Edited by Dirty Electro

Cheers mate :good:

I have a few pics of the bare chassis, new motor, window and ESC waiting to be uploaded so i'll get them done tomorrow, hopefully should have the shell done by the weekend, trip down to halfords for that paint, hopefully they will have it.

Edited by GunnersRC

Right I've just gone through all my pinions, nearest i can get is a 10T on my grasshopper 2 shelf dweller or a 16T, I cant do anything with the 10T but if the 16T helps then its yours mate:good:

I bought a 13t mate, no need, but thanks for the offer :good:

Sorry for lack of update on this but its falling into place now.

Finally found a source for the paint i need, i'll get that ordered asap.

New pinion just arrived so i can finally mount the motor to the gearbox and i sourced those superb double sided ultra durable foam pads for the receiver and ESC :D

All i need is to do now is put it all together and it can be run :D

Pics up later this afternoon :good:

Well, time for pics finally!

Managed to install the new motor and electrics albeit a rather hashed effort :lol: Also managed to finish the priming of the shell, also done the nose as well.

First, pic of the new heart of this Beatle and its pacemaker :good:

DSC00328.jpg

Now for some more of the shell, fully primed and ready for the Candy!

DSC00330.jpg

DSC00331.jpg

DSC00332.jpg

DSC00333.jpg

DSC00334.jpg

Motor installed

DSC00335.jpg

ESC Installed

DSC00336.jpg

Receiver installer just behind the front shock tower

DSC00337.jpg

And some body on chassis pics (Couldn't resist :P )

DSC00338.jpg

DSC00339.jpg

And yes, i will be doing something about those Orange wheels :lol:

Hi all,

Little problem i have that maybe someone could shed some light on.

I am using a Modelsport/Mtroniks Sniper ESC, 20t limit, also using a 21tx2 LRP GT-1 Motor, but the Beetle keeps cutting out at full throttle :confused: I have no problem getting to near full throttle, but a matter or 1mm over and it cuts out and won't work till the throttle is released, its like the ESC reboots itself.

Is this a common failsafe to stop people reaching full throttle?

Thanks!:good: