• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Photography!

richhrly

Will a UV filter such as a Hoya HMC reduce the reflection of windscreens and glares on corners of cars in sunlight? (I'm fairly new to photography and wondering if its UV or any other type of filter)

Edited by RCAdam

• 2 weeks later...

I have a very old and basic digital camera, these are some of the shots I have taken with it....

File0003947_zpscfcc97d3.jpg

File0003954_zpsce66774b.jpg

File0003945_zps1292d52f.jpg

File0003946_zpsf47a56c6.jpg

garden10_zpsc288a491.jpg

garden12_zpsc12424e9.jpg

garden5_zpsc14b6f4e.jpg

garden4_zps998b219c.jpg

garden16_zps4663915d.jpg

garden2_zpsc013141e.jpg

makes me wonder what I might achieve with something a tad less box brownie and more SLR...... :whistling:

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just FYI, if you're planning on using that 28-105 for low light stuff with that body without a flash, you're going to run into some big trouble with noise. My body has similar noise performance, and I shoot with an f2.5 lens as a minimum when shooting available light. Hence why I prefer to use a flash. Also, I'd recommend against a filter - they give weird flare when you shoot into the light.

Some of mine:

R3FFsgV.jpg

tfukKOf.jpg

And this one I took on film:

wM97ELQ.jpg

Edited by joe of loath
  • Like 1

yeah dont get me wrong the 350D was awesome still is, but there is something about the 40D.

contrast is better, color range is more defined but its just this 40d sensor.

1600 iso and its very nearly noise free, i doubt much noise would come from the boosted iso option. 

one niggle is the shutter sound, it sounds wonky, like the 350d has a defined shutter sound but the

40D is more like a woosh click.

need it to snow get cold and the brids to start feeding from the feeders again (had a moggy staking the garden out so birds have not been visiting )

mind you i did get a shot of a gaggle of buzzards thermaling above the house and chasing pidgeons ( they move to quick for my panning skills ).

i gave the 350D to my mom, going to get her an 18-55mm kitty and a tripod, she is always moaning about the bridge camera flash

being broken and pictures not looking as they should. its going to be a damn sight better than what she was using i hope.

just have her using camera in P mode at mo getting used to it and how to work  it.

Edited by Tamiyacowboy
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I've been tooling about with flashes between 500nanoseconds and 5 microsecond range (for reference, most speedlights have a fastest speed of 1/40,000th second, we're talking 1/2,000,000 second here!)

10556261_1569472039948755_73173696819208

This flash is called Vela, there's a Kickstarter launching later (no, I'm nothing to do with it! I just know the guy who made it) and I'm pretty pumped. High speed = fun speed!

• Like 1

some advice please. 

want to timelapse a car window screen / roof  freezing over.

how would one set up the camera and tripod to capture this wonder of nature happening. 

say something like 1 min intervals , and hard on the F stop like say f11 upwards with a mid length exposure say 15 seconds or more

or would i be better off recording at 60fps for a few hours then run it into say virtualdub and adjust the playback fps there.

want to make more use of my 40d

Doing it via video will waste a lot of space, and there's no need to do it at 60FPS really.

You probably don't need to stretch the exposure to 15s, unless you're doing this overnight. Long exposures in timelapses help when there's movement (people, water etc) but this can still be as fast as 1/4s to be effective.

Manual focus, aperture priority, ISO set to something sensible, frame every minute = bobs your uncle. Triggertrap is, naturally, a very good thing to do this ;)

Doing it via video will waste a lot of space, and there's no need to do it at 60FPS really.

You probably don't need to stretch the exposure to 15s, unless you're doing this overnight. Long exposures in timelapses help when there's movement (people, water etc) but this can still be as fast as 1/4s to be effective.

Manual focus, aperture priority, ISO set to something sensible, frame every minute = bobs your uncle. Triggertrap is, naturally, a very good thing to do this ;)

thank you richard. 

night time is when the images would be taken we just dont get cold enough air here in norfolk to get a daytime freeze.

idea was to capture the ice creeping its way across a car roof - window shield , played back at say 24-30fps 

we all wake up to those very calming swirls and fern like patterns left by the cold frosts. my idea was to capture this

work of nature in motion as it happened.

i want trigger trap, but i love the 350D (my first dslr) and am finding it hard to let it go, the cash could be used to get a

cheap basic triggertrap. but i have already overspent lol replacing the water gathering bird feeder feature with a full on bird house table.

( its my way of bringing in the wildlife but also getting the attention of the 5 buzzards that have taken up roost close by to ;)

Edited by Tamiyacowboy