• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Photography!

richhrly

Yup, lucky when I moved from EF-S to EF lenses, I didn't have many but now...would be a silly move.

Keep an eye on Aperture Photographics website too. They usually have some cracking deals on.

http://www.apertureuk.com/canon_auto_focus.html

They have a 40D dirt cheap. It shows as reserved but they only hold for a day or so, worth dropping them an email. Downside, no delivery so would need to either train or drive down there.

Ah cool thanks buddy will check them out :good:

Fair play dude. Will check it out when BT have restored our broadband speed to the heady 1.19mbps we used to have. Currently it's 0.29mbps.

Wow, ain't posted in here in ages...but the again I haven't been out with the camera in months!!

Hazza, nice to see the hardwork is paying off. The images are top quality. Stuart your landscape shots are awe inspiring, and Rich well wish I could snap aviation like you do.

Anyway here's a few from, nothing great I must admit (I'm kinda rusty)

chillindacanalgraffitti_zpsdcb5ee4f.jpg

calderhebblenavigation_zps7a937e68.jpg

jumpinspider_zps100644e6.jpg

Not sure if I posted this before:

_MG_8972_tonemapped.jpg

Really hoping to get out and about tomorrow, getting all my kit cleaned up and batteries recharged etc then just gonna set off walking somewhere.

Went into LCE for a look today. Oopsie

vHl5EU5.jpg

JP7t84c.jpg

Quick Google brought up good results, and I think I paid a fair price for it considering it's still got all the bits and there's only a small wear spot on the thumb rest.

Got some time with this beauty yesterday. Was stunning considering it has only done 4,000 miles in the last 12 months

8928318059_4201123587_c.jpg

• Like 1

Some snaps here from my first motorsport event. Safe to say that I'm hooked and have already decided I'm off to all the upcoming Prescott events :lol:

DSC_0283

(They get better towards the middle)

I'm also after a new lens for the events. I noticed my mates Cannon was able to get much tighter photos than I could with the 18-55 on the Nikon. I can't remember what specs his lens was though. Almost all those photos are taken at full zoom :lol: Anyone know what I might need?

Any other feedback much appreciated

:)

Edited by TiM!

Cheers Harry, I know the D5000 needs the focus motor in the lens if that helps at all.

I did have a go at slowing down the shutter just by using shutter priority, full manual was a bit much for my first go :lol:

Probably the sharpest I got:

lS5aSbb.jpg

Shame he was going the wrong way though :lol:

Looks like this one will work http://www.mpbphotographic.co.uk/used-equipment/used-lenses/used-nikon-fit-lenses/sigma-55-200mm-f/4-5.6-dc,-nikon-fit-1/

Edited by TiM!

Cheers Harry, I know the D5000 needs the focus motor in the lens if that helps at all.

I did have a go at slowing down the shutter just by using shutter priority, full manual was a bit much for my first go :lol:

Looks like this one will work http://www.mpbphotographic.co.uk/used-equipment/used-lenses/used-nikon-fit-lenses/sigma-55-200mm-f/4-5.6-dc,-nikon-fit-1/

When panning it's easier to use Tv (Shutter Priority) than full manuel. If you start at around 1/250th (with the ISO a low as it'll go) and work your way down as and when you become comfortable with the movement you'll get some nice shots :) There's nothing wrong with the semi-auto modes, in fact my camera is rarely off Av or Tv.

As for that lens, I'd really look at buying a Nikon one. Sigma's basic range is a bit mmm. 

Harry.

Edited by hazza1304

I'm not going to argue with Hazza's comments coz the guy knows his onions. I would however like to add some post-production advice. 

Do you have any image manipulation software? Some of the shots in that slide show could have done with some cropping, it's always best to crop as much as you can in camera but it aint always possible. It's well worth going through what you've taken and playing about with composition/cropping, taking out corners of cars etc. in the static shots. 

All in all though, a good first motorsport shoot, you've got some stuff I'd be proud of taking and I've been shooting cars on and off for over 20 years.

How far are you from Loton Park? That's another good venue.

lS5aSbb.jpg

What is that? Looks like an Allard? 

When panning it's easier to use Tv (Shutter Priority) than full manuel. If you start at around 1/250th (with the ISO a low as it'll go) and work your way down as and when you become comfortable with the movement you'll get some nice shots :) There's nothing wrong with the semi-auto modes, in fact my camera is rarely off Av or Tv.

As for that lens, I'd really look at buying a Nikon one. Sigma's basic range is a bit mmm. 

Harry.

Go slow or go home! ;)

Cheers guys, I'll have a go at some cropping later.

Got this pretty close on Saturday. http://www.throckmortonairshow.com/

I'm guessing the 18-55 is going to be totally useless? :lol:

Bluntly, yes. You will need at least 300mm I'd say although it varies depending on how close the display is.

You'll be ok for when they're on the ground, especially if they do a flight line walk of similar.

Anyone here using the 50D? Saw the updates recently for the Magic Latern software so thinking about grabbing one for video use

Edited by teshi
  • Like 1