• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Anybody here ever user 'loctite' on scews?

Virdi

Hi all

As many of you probably have experienced.... screws sometimes work there way lose on RC cars etc..

So has anybody ever used something like 'loctite' (thread-locker / nut locker) to keep the screws in place?

....or this is a bad idea?

Thanks

Edited by Virdi

Hi all

As many of you probably have experienced.... screws sometimes work there way lose on RC cars etc..

So has anybody ever used something like 'loctite' (thread-locker / nut locker) to keep the screws in place?

....or this is a bad idea?

Thanks

ALL screws that go into metal should be threadlocked as should most screws into plastic!!!!

If you are using steal screws and screwing into alluminium (or evening alluminium screws that are a different grade to what you are screwing into) then don't use loctite as it will make things even harder.

Use a little bit of copper slip, the 2 different types of metals react which each other and started to phuse (im sure thats not how you spell it) together, hence why people round off screws. Putting a bit of copper slip on them will stop this from happening. If you use a decent allen driver you should be able to tighten things up enough to prevent them from coming loose. I wouldn't recomend using standard L shaped allen ekys on anything at all.

You shouldn't need to use loctite, superglue or anything on plastic. I only ever used superglue (well i used araldite) on associated diff casings because they were crap and always stripped the threads in them.

Anything that's aluminium touching aluminium i loctite.

If i'm using nuts that have a rubber seal in them (like wheel nuts) i don't use as it damages the rubber bit.

Plastic to plastic/metal i don't bother using unless the plastic part does not have a thread in it.

Most of the time i use blue but on places like engine mounts that won't need to come off during a normal stripdown ill use red.

Anything that's aluminium touching aluminium i loctite.

If i'm using nuts that have a rubber seal in them (like wheel nuts) i don't use as it damages the rubber bit.

Plastic to plastic/metal i don't bother using unless the plastic part does not have a thread in it.

Most of the time i use blue but on places like engine mounts that won't need to come off during a normal stripdown ill use red.

Lol, you don't use loctite on lock nuts because it damages the plastic bit?

The whole idea of the plastic but is so you don't need to use loctite :lol:

If your using stud luck, rather than thread lock....lets hope you have some decent allen drivers :P

hey mate.

i use loctite on most of my screws in my rc's. ie. on grub screws, ect.

if you do use it, only use a small amount. it works for me, and i havent had any problems with it yet.

hope this helps

hayden

Yep, when it is nessecary to use loctite, only use a tiny bit (more so that it only fills the depth of the thread). If you use to much it will take a long time to set, if you use FAR to much you will find it won't actually harden, it will just stay soft.