• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Hyper 7 wont start for the first time!

WestLonBeginner

Hi All,

I have a brand new hyper 7 .21. I have charged the glow plug strater for three hours (the one you get with the starter kit from model sport), tested the glow plug to see if it glows red, fitted it into the engine, installed the air filter, put fuel into the car, installed the battery pack to the car, turned the car on, turned the radio controller on, plut the glow plug starter over the glow plug, and tried to pull the pull start.

As I've never owned a nitro car before, I can't compare my experience with others, but it seems to me that the pull start is too difficult to, well, er, pull. It jams on occasions, but when i do get it to pull, the car doesn't start. I have tried to pull it repeatedly but nothing seems to happen.

Does anyone know what might be wrong, or what I might be doing wrong? It's bound to be a step I've forgotten to do or something.

have you pumped your engine if you have not you do this by putting your finger over the exhaust and pulling the pull start untill the fuel gets to the carby. try loosen the glow plug a little bit to make it easier to pull the pullstart but tighten it once the car is started

Hi All,

I have a brand new hyper 7 .21. I have charged the glow plug strater for three hours (the one you get with the starter kit from model sport), tested the glow plug to see if it glows red, fitted it into the engine, installed the air filter, put fuel into the car, installed the battery pack to the car, turned the car on, turned the radio controller on, plut the glow plug starter over the glow plug, and tried to pull the pull start.

As I've never owned a nitro car before, I can't compare my experience with others, but it seems to me that the pull start is too difficult to, well, er, pull. It jams on occasions, but when i do get it to pull, the car doesn't start. I have tried to pull it repeatedly but nothing seems to happen.

Does anyone know what might be wrong, or what I might be doing wrong? It's bound to be a step I've forgotten to do or something.

hi m8 ,right dont panic , sounds like you may have flooded the engine(pull start is hard to pull) try taking out the glow plug and pull the starter a few time to clear excess fuel from the engine .when thats done try to warm the engine up with a hair dryer if you can for about ten mins or so ,and try it again .

also do you no if your getting fuel to the carb i.e priming it ,to do this you can take the pipe of the exhaust pipe and blow down it and fuel will move to the carb

let us no how you get on m8 :good:

i had the same problem with my car when i first got it, U have to prime the engine first by holding your finger over the exhaust and pulling the pull starter until you see the fuel enter the carb then pull once or twice more, if u have flooded the engine which will cause the pullstart to be really tight then you will need to follow the instructions for flooding the engine. U have to take the glow plug out and hold the car upside down and pull the pullstart so the fuel comes out of the glow plug hole, then put the glow plug back in. Tighten it then let it back off a bit. Try to start asa normal then when it starts tighten the glow plug.

Hope it helps.

Hi All,

Hi i had the same problem with mine,what i found best to do is sit the car on a block with the wheels off the ground , turn the electrics off, take the air filter off the carb(might have to snip the cable tie so be careful) there should be about a 1 mm cap in the carb, if so put the air filter back on , then apply glow plug and pull on the pul start and fingers crossed it should start. I found this info on this forum so if you search for it ,it will give you a better discription of how to do it.

Glad i found this...

Was wandering if it was just me.......

Just got a HPI firestorm 10T and trying to run it in, new to Nitro so am a complete novice (slash caggy handed fool)

Must admit mine appears to be flooding constantly, have closed the gap down to 1mm on the idle screw, still looks like a lot of fuel in the bore, is it just me??

Had it running twice, once for about 30 seconds, and again for 10 seconds.

ANy advice?

Glad i found this...

Was wandering if it was just me.......

Just got a HPI firestorm 10T and trying to run it in, new to Nitro so am a complete novice (slash caggy handed fool)

Must admit mine appears to be flooding constantly, have closed the gap down to 1mm on the idle screw, still looks like a lot of fuel in the bore, is it just me??

Had it running twice, once for about 30 seconds, and again for 10 seconds.

ANy advice?

Probably are flooding it

Take the glowplug out - and turn the engine over - A good prime usually sprays out a mist of fuel :)

Big drops or a gloowpy slosh means too much fuel

Once you've correct your mistake

Put GP back in

Heat the engine up

Give the engine some are (via trim)

Slacken glowplug 1/8th of a turn

And it should spring into life - once its running - tighten up the glowplug and start the break in :)

Ziggy

Whilst you running in your Hyper 7 it will be very frustrating as you may not be even able to use the car for a tank or two of fuel.

The engine will stall after a few seconds and you will constantly be restarting it.

Don't worry we have all been through it and when you do get it run in you will be rewarded.

Just one point try to use short little pulls on the pull start or you will end up pulling out too much cord and probably breaking the spring.

There is a good post on here on rebuilding the pull start which most of us have done several times.

Good luck.

Langy