• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Problems with new computer

snowbl!nd

Hey guys, just finished putting together my new computer and i'm having a few problems with it.

Case - Cosmos S

CPU - Q9550

Mobo - Asus P5N32-E Sli Plus

RAM - OCZ 4GB 800mhz Sli-Ready edition

HDD - 500gb Seagate

PSU - Coolermaster 850W

Optical - LG Blu-ray Player & Burner

GPU - Asus 8800GTX

Everything's wired up ok as far as I can tell but on power up it doesn't boot into BIOS or show anything on the monitor - no beeps either. Everything is getting power as the LED on the mobo lights up and all the fans are going...

Any ideas? :helpsmilie:

Edited by snowbl!nd

Check the jumper setting on the motherboard isnt on "clear bios". If that fails you might be having some shorting issues somewhere.

Checked the jumpers, they're set right. What could cause shorting do you think? Inside the case is spotless and mobo is secured properly.

Hold on, i dont see a video card there, does that mobo have onboard gfx, this may sound stupid but have you plugged in the moniter lead into anything?

Sorry yeah, forgot to mention that in my first post :rolleyes: It's got an 8800GTX which is getting power & plugged into the monitor.

I had a similar problem some time ago with a core2duo, it just ended up being the cpu not seated properly, you could have the same problem,

I'll double check it - thanks.

chances are its cus ur cpu is newer than ur mobo so u need to flash and update the bios :) its simple to do, u jsut need an older compatibel lga 775 processor (pentium 4 or newer) or if u have a friend get them to download the new bios on a memory stick as its an ASUS mobo it supports flash booting :) its great cus u can save ur over clocking to a flash drive so if ur pc goes tits up u can just reoverclock it. u sure u got ur gpu plugged into the correct pci slot, as most sli ready mobo's have one pci slot thats a primary and more powerful than the second :) i did the same thing when i first built my gaming pc when i only had 1 gpu. Also another thing to check is as its a 24pin mobo have u plugged in the extra 4 pins as well as the 6 pin adaptor to power the pci express 16 slots :) should be at the top of ur mobo above the cpu.

adam

Edited by badger906

Cheers for all the ideas guys, it's given me a few more things to look at :)

One of my more tech-savvy mates is coming round to have a look at it tomorrow so i'll put the ideas to him and see if we can't get this thing running.

Chris

lmao my q6600 doesnt over clock :( i got a replacement recently as my other died, and this one wont overclock a smingin :( i increase the fsb by like 1 and it will make it unstable :( bah!! i have the 1 ******** chip in like 1000 thats gay!

adam

you had any joy with it yet? does the heatsink fan start up when you turn it on? if not there could be a wrong power connection somewhere. if it does then maybe the ram is to blame, just try it with 1 stick in there, see if it fires up.

I had a problem like this, switched on and it powered up but no display, it beeped once as it should and showed no other signs of faults. I could access it from my laptop across the network and transfer files back and forth with no problem. After a lot of head scratching it turned out to be my soundcard, it was shorting and knocking out the gfx slot.

Found the problem with some help from the guys over at neowin.net - the motherboard isn't compatible with the processor <_<

The board supports Intel Quad core processors, what it doesn't say however is that it only supports the older 65nm "Kentsfield" architecture - and not the newer 45nm Yorkfields - which is what my Q9550 is...

So i'll be needing another motherboard. Damn.