• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Lack of power to back wheels

welsh

Have you tightend the slipper clutch up and did you check the diff??

yip i tightened the slipper clutch up so that when you hold the right wheel and the spur gear the left wheel will turn but its stiff (as it says here http://www.racernine.com/X-CellElec3.html ). also tightened up the diff via the hex key you can alter when you pop off the axles etc.

Edited by welsh

Try holding the car give it some revs and see if the spur spins to me it looked like on the pic that the clutch pad was worn out by the mess on the car..

Just watched the video - something certainly isn't right. It shouldn't need to rev that high to get moving, that's probably a clutch problem. If you've checked the slipper clutch is tight then take a close look at the clutch housed in the bell.

when i manually turn the spur gear the right wheel turns fine, however the left wheel turns but not as much. so if i turn the spur 5 times for example the left wheel will do a complete turn but the right will only move a quarter turn for example ? is this a diff problem? the manual says it may need altering after run in ?

This can be can be caused my a number of things - damaged gears in the diff, gritty bearings, more resistance on one side (material wrapped around an axle etc), rounded hex on one side. Rebuilding it would probably be the best bet.

yip i tightened the slipper clutch up so that when you hold the right wheel and the spur gear the left wheel will turn but its stiff (as it says here http://www.racernine.com/X-CellElec3.html ). also tightened up the diff via the hex key you can alter when you pop off the axles etc.

I don't think it's the clutch in the bell, looking at the pics of it that looks fine. You said you tightened the slipper, but did you take it apart to see if the slipper pad was worn? If it is worn it would need replacing and could be causing your problem. Just read on the XTM website that the X-celerator has a ball diff. It could be that the balls in the diff are a bit worn, or the diff gear that the balls sit in is worn/has teeth missing. These could both be leading to your problem. I would get the diff out and strip it down, replacing any worn parts, post some pics if you need help. Do the same with the slipper clutch. Rebuild it all and try again. Be careful not to over tighten the slipper clutch, this can lead to problems with your diff. With the car held still you should be able to move the spur gear by hand when applying firm pressure.

Edited by RCChris

I don't think it's the clutch in the bell, looking at the pics of it that looks fine. You said you tightened the slipper, but did you take it apart to see if the slipper pad was worn? If it is worn it would need replacing and could be causing your problem. Just read on the XTM website that the X-celerator has a ball diff. It could be that the balls in the diff are a bit worn, or the diff gear that the balls sit in is worn/has teeth missing. These could both be leading to your problem. I would get the diff out and strip it down, replacing any worn parts, post some pics if you need help. Do the same with the slipper clutch. Rebuild it all and try again. Be careful not to over tighten the slipper clutch, this can lead to problems with your diff. With the car held still you should be able to move the spur gear by hand when applying firm pressure.

ok thanks, I got some proper XTM Hex drivers today so am confident to take a look at the diff. The slipper looks like there is life on there but dont really know what a wron one looks like. will get back to you I imagain, thanks for the help

ok the slipper pad looks like theres lots of life left

the clutch looks good

the diff looks ok, the teeth are still all there and the ball bearings look round and ok! I have snapped the bloody diff screw though so its gonna be out for a while :-( I will rebuild it and see how it goes if all else fails it will go into my local lsn!!

p1000638bz8.th.jpg clutch

p1000658qk2.th.jpg slipper pad

p1000648lu5.th.jpg diff cogs

p1000653oa8.th.jpg the diff arm bit with 6 ball bearings

Edited by welsh

• 2 weeks later...

hello again, it seems that the reason the car would not go is because the flywheel is slipping on the collet and there are brass shavings all over the car. So i replaced both the flywheel and the collet but after 2 tanks of fuel there is lots of brass filings all over the car again and it wont move. It seems to be stripping the collets, is there anything that can be done to stop this happening? The hex which tightens the clutch bell and everything together is done up super tight.... ???

thanks