• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Just got my HPI Baja 5B clone

headgoonie

Just got my Baja 5B clone today, purchased It on ebay from the same seller as Smithy on here did. Came in 4 days which I was very impressed with especially over Christmas.

I am very pleased with It though I have only had the time to open the box and get It out to inspect It quickly. I chose the black version and I like the look of It.

P241207_1129.jpg

P241207_1130.jpg

P241207_113001.jpg

With this being an almost 100% copy I cannot see any reason to purchase the HPI model at almost double the price.

I didn't get any request for tax but It was delivered by TNT not the usual ParcelForce who I normally have had to deal with whenever using EMS from Hong Kong. The parcel was only marked as $66 (roughly £33) and a gift so even If I do get an invoice later on It will only be for a nominal amount.

I did notice in the manual It states It has a failsafe so will have to look into that when I finally get time to play around with it. I was surprised as the manual Is not in the usual chinese-english weird wording, I guess Its just a copy of the HPI manual but with King Motors on the front of the manual.

I was very pleased as the manual Is good for a chinese copy plus they include everything the HPI version does inc. tools. Only thing you have to get is a adaptor for the 2 pin USA charger.

Edited by headgoonie

sounds like there is no point buying a genune baja then? half the price? seems like a deal, it looks good too.

if and when it breaks, as all rc's do, you can put hpi parts on it..if they are actually any better?? i bet the King Motors guys get the parts from the same places that makes the hpi bits.

think of all the cash youve saved...you'll be able to enjoy it even more....im always overly paraniod with my expensive FG....but maybe that adds to the thrill!

enjoy your car...you chose the best colour...looks mean!

The build quality is no different,there from the same factory... :good:

Yep i have heard that aswell.Some people say that they arnt but they must be.A shop over here is going to be selling them soon for around £400 :good: .A white wing and white wheels would look killer on that. :D .

KINGMOTOR new giant 2WD Baja X buggy will take RC Cars to a new dimension!

The Baja X is a rear wheel drive 1/5th scale off-road buggy that is nearly 32" in length! Its design is revolutionary for large scale RC Cars, following the

style of classic Baja buggies with long suspension arms for great ground clearance and large suspension travel. The big size allows the Baja X to go where

smaller buggies can't and makes the Baja X's driving experience as close as you can get to the real thing.

The Baja 5B is big, but coming as a "Ready To Run" car and powered by standard gasoline it can't be easier to get ready for action. Everything is included in

the kit - 1. Preassembled Baja 5B chassis, 2. Prepainted Baja body shell,

Whoops, someone forgot to change all the Baja 5B to Baja X :P

Looks good, wish i could afford one, much cheaper than Baja 5B :P

ditto :(

You can always make the seller an offer lower than £299 and he will accept It, I did £280 and that went through fine. You should be able to go lower as I did see he sold one for £190.

Tried the Baja out today and started straight away without even having to adjust the choke. Compared to my son's nitro (Condor Pro which Is a total pile of junk) which took ages to fire up. And on that subject I don't know how Nitrotek even sell these, the engine was totally loose with the screws almost falling out and wasn't even aligned with the gears. Compared to nitro, petrol is pure delight to run.

The build quality is no different,there from the same factory... :good:

HPI will own the copyright for the design. I wouldn't have thought that they would allow the factory to manufacture their design and sell it on as unbranded. Neither would I have thought that the factory with a contract to HPI would run the risk of incurring their wrath in order to knock off a few copies and ship them out of the back door.

My guess is that this is a very good copy made by a capable, but unlicensed manufacturer. Whatever it is, I can't see how it could be legit with regards to HPI's design.

The Baja 5b holds no patents cos it's a copy of the real thing itself so anyone can make one.

But its not a scale model of a real car (or is it :confused: )

From HPI's website

"The innovative design of the Baja 5B has been developed and tested by HPI's designers over the last 18 months."

Seems like HPI have invested some considerable time/money in the Baja buggy. They are running a business and need to ensure that their intellectual property is not used unfairly by others for gain and HPI's loss. Anyone using HPI's intellectual property without the consent of HPI is doing so illegally (according to most countries copyright laws). HPI wouldn't allow a factory making HPI designed components to sell the same parts through other channels unbranded - It would be commercial suicide!

It is from the same factory,so i've been told by more than one distributor in HK... :)

I believe that is what some HK distributor has told you - but that doesn't mean that I believe it is true.

If we were to ask the same question of HPI, I would bet we would get a totally different answer. :o

The amount of counterfeit goods coming out of China is phenomenal - some of these counterfeits are of good quality, some are just trash.

It is possible that the counterfeit Baja buggy is of better quality than the real HPI one - but I doubt it!

Point taken,what I should say is seen and tried both as my mates got the original and 2 of the clones and trust me they are identical.The engine is exactly the same down to the stickers and the rest is no different.You could put the HPI bodyshell on one of these and no one would be none the wiser,that's how good they are..... :)

Hi newbie here, well I have to say that I now have become the potenial owner of the Baja X, ITS ON ITS WAY!!! hehehe can't wait.

Anyway a friend of mine has the HPI and has had a few probs with it so they aren't exactly perfect themselves. Oh and yes they are made in the same factory they use the FULIE motor and even fully branded Dirt Buster tyres. I just think people are upset because they have already paid 700 quid for their HPI, and we have paid 350 and even got a choice of shells (which apparently isn't as flimsy as the HPI)

When she turns up I shall take some side by side pics of the parts, then people can see just how exactly the same they really are.

Look forward to seeing the pics.I paid £660 for my baja about 8 months ago.I dont mind tho that you can get these ones alot cheaper but if i didnt have my baja already i would deffinatley buy one of these over the hpi one.like what i saw a guy say on a different forum,you could buy one of these,spend £300 on hopups and have a car that is way better than a rtr or ss baja for the same price :good: