• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

help! my carson c5 wont start

p2d

hey guys, i've been reading this forum for a few weeks now and its great!

i've had my C5 for about 6 months now since new, and its only really had 2 tanks though it. It was running fine on its second tank, but when that ran out i had to buy more petrol, so i mixed up the petrol and oil (200ml -2lt) refilled the car, went to start it and it hasnt worked since! i must have pulled it 500 (i used an entire tank pulling the cord!) hundred times over the last few weeks (since it stopped).

i've read this entire forum since then and though it must be the spark plug, i bought a new one on monday and got it today, stuck it in the car, then flooded it. so i flipped the car over and drained it, then pulled the cord a few times and it roared into life. so waited for it to die, then turned it back over, primed it several times and pulled the cord again, and nothing, it wont even start then die. i've tried everything.

Ive made sure the choke is on, primed it then pulled and it wont do anything.

Its a CY 23cc engine

so a few questions:

1. wtf is wrong with it? :confused:

2. i reset the carb, turned both screws fully clockwise, then turned them 1.25 and 1.5 Anti-clockwise. is this right? because the manual says turn them anti clockwise to close them? but that just unscrews them from the carb.

Sorry for the long post.

Mike

EDIT: Just tried starting it and with the choke closed it does nothing, but with it open it stammers but dies!

Edited by p2d

With the choke on only pull it until it fires and dies.Then turn the choke off.If you pull it again with the choke on it will flood.then with the choke off it should start up after a few pulls of the cord.If it trys to start but bogs down and dies,lean the low end needle a little bit.Hope that helps.

It sounds as though it could be one of two reasons. The first is the engine is flooded Take the plug out turn the car upside down and pull the starter a few times to remove the excess fuel. Leave it to stand for a few mintues and then replace the plug.

Do not prime the engine at first but pull the starter to potentially burn any further fuel not cleared from the above.

Prime the jets three times and re pull start...you do not need the choke on. If it splutters and does not burst into action, just keep pulling...it should start.

Secondly If you ran out of fuel whilst driving it, it may have an air lock in the fuel line - if this is the case, remove the spark plug and place a few drops of fuel directly into the head -pull start the car and it shoud burst into action as the fuel will then be drawn up through the lines automatically.

Hope this helps....

Can you confirm the pertol oil ratio you are using ?

You state in brackets 200ml to 2lt, you should be using around 150ml to 5ltrs. If you are using the mix u state then its far to rich and will oil up.

Suggest you empty out tank and put new fuel in with correct mixture, fit new plug, put needles back to std, put choke on and give it around 3 or 4 pulls, should fire and stop, turn choke off and pull again, as it fires open throttle to give it a chance, if it is oiled up it may cough and splutter a bit and smoke like hell. Then give it a good rev to clear it out.

Also as you try to start, make sure the fuel cap is loose, this will ensure no air locks.

Pete

TrakSide Racing

also a wet plug will not fire,once youve flodded it dry the plug off before replacing it

a lighter is always good for this,it also puts a little heat into the plug which can help get it started,works on minimotos everytime

It sounds as though it could be one of two reasons. The first is the engine is flooded Take the plug out turn the car upside down and pull the starter a few times to remove the excess fuel. Leave it to stand for a few mintues and then replace the plug.

Do not prime the engine at first but pull the starter to potentially burn any further fuel not cleared from the above.

Hope this helps....

Did that, after i turned it back over i pulled the cord once and it fired up! thanks mate it's been driving me mad for about a month now! :D:D:D

Mike

(thanks!!)

Did that, after i turned it back over i pulled the cord once and it fired up! thanks mate it's been driving me mad for about a month now! :D:D:D

Mike

(thanks!!)

No problem - glad to be of help.