• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

mac 28 break in help!

ollie

Hi,

Had my mach 28 3 days now so its about time i posted a help me thread lol. Basically i got it running for the first time yesterday. I had quite alot of trouble getting it to start first off, but after reading about increasing the idle, i did that and got it started. I idle'd through two hole tanks of petrol and then called it a night.

Today i was hoping to get 1 tank through it at 1/4 throttle before its dark but it doesnt wanna happen!

I cannot get the thing to start for the life of me. Ive done everything i did yesterday but it wont start. The glow heater is working and the glow plug seems to be working as ive taken the glow plug out and stuck it on the heater and the coil glows hot. I emptied all the ****² out the exhaust yesterday before i put it away. Ive made sure the engine isnt flooded and fuel seems to be getting through as it spurts out the top if i take the glow plug out.

The only thing i can say is, with the glow plug done up, the pull start seems hard to pull, like its flooded. But ive taken the glow plug out turned it upside down and pulled the engine to get any fuel out, but it doesnt seem to have much effect. I tried to loosen the glow plug very slighty and this makes it easier to pull start, but still the engine wont fire.

After about an hour.... my fingers are sore and im ****** off so ive given up and now im writing this thread!

Hope someone can help me out,

EDIT - Also, i tried the hair dryer trick, and heated the engine with a hair dryer for about 10 mintues but this didnt seem to help.

Cheers,

Ollie

Edited by ollie

Hi,

Had my mach 28 3 days now so its about time i posted a help me thread lol. Basically i got it running for the first time yesterday. I had quite alot of trouble getting it to start first off, but after reading about increasing the idle, i did that and got it started. I idle'd through two hole tanks of petrol and then called it a night.

Today i was hoping to get 1 tank through it at 1/4 throttle before its dark but it doesnt wanna happen!

I cannot get the thing to start for the life of me. Ive done everything i did yesterday but it wont start. The glow heater is working and the glow plug seems to be working as ive taken the glow plug out and stuck it on the heater and the coil glows hot. I emptied all the ****² out the exhaust yesterday before i put it away. Ive made sure the engine isnt flooded and fuel seems to be getting through as it spurts out the top if i take the glow plug out.

The only thing i can say is, with the glow plug done up, the pull start seems hard to pull, like its flooded. But ive taken the glow plug out turned it upside down and pulled the engine to get any fuel out, but it doesnt seem to have much effect. I tried to loosen the glow plug very slighty and this makes it easier to pull start, but still the engine wont fire.

After about an hour.... my fingers are sore and im ****** off so ive given up and now im writing this thread!

Hope someone can help me out,

Cheers,

Ollie

Hi mate,if you've tried all that you seem to have covered the bases.Try the hairdryer method (something I've never needed to do)to see if it starts after a warming and other than that it could be your glowplug as sometimes they look fine out of the engine and as soon as thery're in there they break down or fail through the high compression of the new engine and the over rich break in mixture.... :good:

Okay il try get to a model shop tommorow to pickup some new glow plugs. Can you recommend any plugs that make breaking in any easier as at the moment its giving me a head ache lol. Also will leaning the engine just a bit like 1/8th of a turn help starting a bit?

Cheers

Okay il try get to a model shop tommorow to pickup some new glow plugs. Can you recommend any plugs that make breaking in any easier as at the moment its giving me a head ache lol. Also will leaning the engine just a bit like 1/8th of a turn help starting a bit?

Cheers

Yeah you can lean it out a bit to make it runs more stable as the factory settings are always quite generous.I use McCoy MC-9s in my Hyper .28 Machstar,these are recommended by Hobao and Modelsport but if you can;t get them OS A8s are good plugs too.There's always the Model Technics Firepower range and the F5 or 6 will do and they're cheaper but'll do the job of breaking in... :good:

Just got back from model shop. Got a gallon of petrol and also some 16% for the break in as i thought maybe thatl make it easier too. bought 6 OS 8 plugs and also a new twist glo starter. Noticed that my glo starter seems like it doesnt lock onto the plug very well at all so when i am pulling the pull start its moving about quite a bit wich is why it could be so hard for me to start. So hopefully tommorow i can get it started and the whole break in done! wish me luck lol

Just got back from model shop. Got a gallon of petrol and also some 16% for the break in as i thought maybe thatl make it easier too. bought 6 OS 8 plugs and also a new twist glo starter. Noticed that my glo starter seems like it doesnt lock onto the plug very well at all so when i am pulling the pull start its moving about quite a bit wich is why it could be so hard for me to start. So hopefully tommorow i can get it started and the whole break in done! wish me luck lol

I think your on a death wish mate if you think petrol is the answer it will explode instead of a controlled burn, probably crack shatter the piston and distort the liner (there only made out of brass mate).Also petrol has no oil in it so it will score the piston liner and bearings.

They are called nitro engines for a reason. :wacko:

marty :)

lol... really? i didnt know.......

Na but seriously... i know its nitro... but i just call it petrol... so dont worry its a gallon of NITRO :P I just call it petrol cos it does the same kind of thing

Blimey Ollie.....if that's you in your avatar (strange name) then i'll wish you luck....and if you can't get it going,then pop round.I'm sure i'll be able to help you!

Still couldnt get engine started..... and then broke the pull start. So taken car to shop and left it with them they gunna take pull start off (im going to use starter box) and run it in and tune it for me.

have u tired loosening the glow plug by 1/8th of a turn, this will mean there is a bit less compression meaning it is not as hard to turn over and it will get a bit more air in so it will stop it being too rich. I had to do this for the first 3/4 runs with my savage because there was that much compression. once started quickly tighten it up and it will hopefully carry on running and ure sorted.

Hope this helps, also try the hairdryer on it before u start it aswell as doing the above :D

ok im sorry but ive been stayign awya from this topic for quite some time as mach 28s = hatered form me grrr. my lhs had me runnign os 8 plugs and it wouldnt run at all in the engine mate bring them bk get a refund!!!!!!!!

order some mccoy mc-59s or mc-8s the only plugs that run well with that enigne. the engine is a nightmere to tune as always is a lot of smoke yet it may sound extrmemly lean and be over heating so i ran mine rich then i had fornt bearing trouble and carb trouble and more trouble my 3 gallons so i got rid of the engine.