• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Super Customized Tamiya Wild Dagger

Garry

Chris Malone’s heavily modified Tamiya Wild Dagger (Bedfordshire, United Kingdom)

hpim1305.JPG

A Tamiya Wild Dagger is the base of this highly customized truck. Actually, there is little Dagger left. Chris calls his creation, “Cold Fusion”, and it is built as a racer. His goal was to make it able to hang with any other MT out on the track. It has been in the works and getting refined for about 3 years and he tells us that he is really pleased with how it has turned out.

hpim1307.JPG

hpim1308.JPG

> Custom-designed 4mm aluminum TVP chassis; designed for lowest possible CG, minimimum weight, supports up to 16 cells and extends the wheelbase by 2 inches amonst other stuff

> Custom-designed 5mm aluminnium combo shock towers/gearbox braces

> Modified suspension geometry for improved handling

> Aluminum and delrin cross-braces

> Unlimited Engineering Super Shocks

> R2C2 extended aluminum suspension arms; very lightweight

> MIP RS4MT CVDs all-round

> Lunsford Titanium turnbuckles

> 7075 aluminium XSpede front steering knuckles

> Prototype “Super Diff” installed in the rear; replaces stock diff with a much stronger custom-designed diff which uses HPI Savage 4-bevel innards (designed and made by a friend of Chris)

> Dual Mamba Max 5700Kv speed controllers and brushless motors. Top speed of about 55mph

> Dual Elite 8-cell, 4500mAh stick packs wired in parallel

> RPM Monster Clawz StableMaxx rims

> Pro-Line Bow-Tie tires

> Hexcrews AP hardware

> Nomadio React radio, with voltage and temp sensors installed

hpim1308.JPG

hpim1304.JPG

Source : RC Car Action

Just found this online, probably of interest to some guys here.

this was my second model i owned and is very nippy when stock till i had 10T motors on each end and hell does it shift.

i can see he left the gear-boxes as stock but wished he-d mod the gear pins and gears to a lighter ones that is being used on the TL01 chassis hopups.

good and intresting find :good:

this was my second model i owned and is very nippy when stock till i had 10T motors on each end and hell does it shift.

i can see he left the gear-boxes as stock but wished he-d mod the gear pins and gears to a lighter ones that is being used on the TL01 chassis hopups.

good and intresting find :good:

He is running a 'super diff', produced by Henry. He had a lot of problems before, but the new design sorted that iirc.

He's also got a new chassis for it- all custom carbon fibre. Very nice :whistling:

Either way, Chris is the man, he's also very pleasant to talk to, and is the best when it comes to custom cars imo.

now if tamiya were creative and tried somthing new like this i think it would easily outsell the Emaxx

I agree. That is one hell of a machine. But Tamiya seem content in putting out Reissues of the same thing. I do like some of the Tamiya stuff, but Like you say it would be nice to see a bit of creativity

Hey guys!

It's Chris Malone here...I just got pointed to this thread. I'm honoured that you've made a topic on Cold Fusion! I was amazed enough when it turned up on the RCCA site, but this is just incredible. Many thanks for all the kind words and compliments everyone, they really mean a lot! :) And hi Alexi, good to see you here. :)

Anyhoo, to answer a few questions...the gearboxes now both use "Super Diffs" like Alexi pointed out. These are custom-built 1/8th scale diffs which use HPI 4-bevel innards, with a special aluminium 7075 cup and cup adaptor which fits the whole unit to the stock ring gear (which is very strong glass-fibre reinforced nylon). They're also sealed, and so far have proved super-strong. Hopefully that won't change in the near future, lol! The rest of the gears are bulletproof (I've yet to strip one), and I'm using hardened-steel pinions. The gear shafts are the stock steel ones, and I could change them to carbon...but I don't see a whole lot of point for the sake of a few grams. Good suggestion though. :)

Smithy, the setup is effectively two mamba systems on 8 cells each which provides way more than enough speed and power lol! The two packs are hooked up in parallel to help each other with amp draw (like when the rear motor needs a bucketload of amps when under acceleration).

That video really doesn't show the truck in a good light...that was back when I first got it brushless, and it still had a stock front diff and camber link issues (hence the crash lol!). I should have a good video of her after the 6th of October, if anyone's at all interested. And Alexi's also right in that I'm halfway through installing a slightly redesigned carbon-fibre chassis, improved carbon-fibre shock towers, new Hong Nor FTE shocks, a front Super Diff, carbon-fibre ESC plate and a UBEC and a few other bits...so if anyone's interested, I'm happy to post pics of that when it's done.

Again, many thanks guys for the comments, I don't really think this machine deserves it...but cheers anyway. :)

Edited by Dagger Thrasher

Chris, you should defiantly consider producing some custom parts to sell, there isn't enough manufactures designing and making their own unique products any more and with the downfall of UE it's just getting worse since. :(

It is a beautiful truck how much drafting and test parts were needed to get it right?

Thanks man. I know how you feel about the unique parts manufacturers drifting away, but unfortunately there's not a whole lot I can really do. I can design 2D parts in CAD, and am looking into learning 3D, but I don't have any facilities to make complex CAD parts. In the future, I may be able to design custom parts for other RC's and get them made in batches (or have them sold by some RC "contacts" I have), but there ain't much I can really do now unfortunately. I have to give credit for the actual basic chassis design to a friend of mine (known on the web as "Demon Dag"); I drew up the main design features and concept drawing, and he put it into CAD, adding his own artistic flare which is why it looks so cool (this was a few years back, before I knew CAD). The new carbon chassis is a redesign done by me though, and the new shock towers are my design. The shock towers in these pictures are my basic design, but they were just "stylised" by Demon a bit.

Anyhoo, I'll stop blabbing on lol! It's hard to think the number of revisions this thing has had. In total it's now had 4 chassis; stock, then an RCGUY one which I then modified a lot but ultimately sucked, then the chassis you see in the pics (known as the V1 Rapier), and now the improved V2 Rapier which I'm just installing now. Shock towers...certainly also 4 variations, possibly more! She's also had several different shocks and shock setups, several electronics setups...seriously, the list goes on! It's been a serious learning curve, but now I think I've finally got it to where I *almost* want it to be.

If anyone's interested, here's the new carbon-fibre chassis; it's made from 3mm T700 High Modulus 2x2 Twill, so it's pretty strong!

HPIM1607lo.jpg

HPIM1608lo.jpg

HPIM1609lo.jpg

Reason why I upgraded to this chassis was because ultimately, the V1 chassis isn't really up to it. The aluminium grade is poor, and the holes for mounting gearboxes etc are terribly lined-up...so it flexed a bit too much and in a bad crash had a few weak spots. The new design eliminates these problems, and IMO, looks smarter.

Sorry, I really do type far too much lol, so I'll shutup now. Again, thanks for looking and all the support guys. :)

Sorry I didn't reply to your email yet, I haven't had much time! But I'm in Flitwick, so not a million miles from you...and nope, don't belong to an actual club as such; most of the time I drive alone. Well, whenever any of my RC's are actually running lol. Although I'll be going up to the RcK ReCKtacular bash day on the 6th, to drive with loads of other people at the Pineham BMX track. And I'll add ya like you asked. :)

Thanks guys! I've not had it radared yet, but I've put all the numbers through several speed calculators and top speed should certainly be upwards of 50 (factoring in voltage drop and air resistance, etc). I'm guessing ultimate top speed is around 55, though I've never yet managed to max her out as I've always chickened-out/ran out of room, lol.

I'll be sure to post pics when she's all finished. :)